News:

What did you learn today TIL

MintJulie · 106693

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #80 on: April 12, 2017, 06:21:40 PM
I have thought of using vinegar, and might still do that.  It's just that my cleaning block at the house is just 2.5 hours and vinegar needs to soak overnight.  The house has three toilets so I could ask them to let it soak.

I would need to turn off the water to the toilet and then empty it by flushing, then refill with the vinegar.

I have never seen a toilet in such bad shape. It is the toilet used by the person who rents a room.  He has never, ever, cleaned it in the 8 years he lived there.  If he had taken a brush to it regularly it would never have gotten so bad. Then all that would be needed is to use the pumice stone on the rim to remove build-up.

I'm supplementing my income by cleaning houses.  The shocking thing is that I get $15 hour, far more than I make as a paralegal in Arizona.  Geeshe, this place is unbelievable!

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1766/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #81 on: April 12, 2017, 08:55:36 PM
Vinegar is an acid (3-9% acetic acid -- this I learned just now).

And I just learned it from you JBRG

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #82 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:35 PM
Friday, 13 October 1307, the date Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.

Possible origin of the Friday the 13th superstition in mideval europe.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Online msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1320/-3
Reply #83 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:16 PM
Friday, 13 October 1307, the date Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.

Possible origin of the Friday the 13th superstition in mideval europe.

Not just arrested, they were all killed, some burned at the stake.  And they took their secrets with 'em. A great mystery yet.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #84 on: April 13, 2017, 11:28:05 PM
Rosslyn Chapel.

Seek and ye shall find.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline JBRG

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +231/-2
Reply #85 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:58 PM
From the world of NHL Hockey --

The Art Ross Trophy awarded to the player with the most total points during the regular season was donated by Art Ross and his two sons in 1947. At the time, Art Ross was the general manager of the Boston Bruins. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1949 as a player. During his playing time, Art Ross was a defence man and had a grand total of 1 NHL goal in his career.

The siren that sounds at the end of each period at Le Centre Bell in Montreal is the same siren that was employed at the Montreal Forum.

As well, the siren used at TD Bank Garden in Boston is the same one that was used in the old Boston Garden.

And the mystery has finally been solved as to when the first ever NHL game was played. On opening night of the league, December 17 1917, there were two games scheduled. One in Ottawa between the Montreal Canadiens and the Ottawa Hockey Club and one in Montreal between the Montreal Wanderers and the Toronto Hockey Club (the team that became the Make Me Laughs did not enter the league until 1919). The problem with determining which game came first arose because although the record shows the game in Montreal started on time, nobody knew what time that was. UNTIL now. A poster advertising the game was found advertising an 8:15 PM start time. The game in Ottawa was scheduled to start at 8:30 PM but was delayed 15 minutes by a wage dispute amongst the Ottawa players.
The Montreal Wanderers folded two weeks later as a result of their arena being destroyed by fire.

That is all.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3088/-41
Reply #86 on: April 27, 2017, 02:32:06 PM

I've long wondered why men's clothes have buttons on the right, while women's clothes have buttons on the left,

The reason for this is when buttons were invented, they were very expensive and worn primarily by the rich. Since most people are right-handed, it is easier to push buttons on the right through holes on the left. But because wealthy women were dressed by maids, dressmakers put the buttons on the maid's, and not the wearer's, right. And that's where women's buttons have remained since.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #87 on: April 27, 2017, 04:30:47 PM
An alternative reason is that since most men were right-handed it was easier to unbutton your cloak with your left hand, leaving the sword hand unencumbered.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3088/-41
Reply #88 on: April 27, 2017, 05:12:13 PM

An alternative reason is that since most men were right-handed it was easier to unbutton your cloak with your left hand, leaving the sword hand unencumbered.

That makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of right-handed swordsmen, there's a funny story in the Bible (I've no recollection where) about an evil king who is persecuting the Chosen People. He's enormously fat, and spends time in a specially designed room to keep cool. One of the Israelite leaders, who's left-handed, decides to assassinate the king. He requests an audience with the king, and the palace guards search his left side for a weapon, find none, and allow him to enter. He then draws his sword from his right side, runs it into the king, and departs. Hours later, the guards think there's nothing amiss and that the king's asleep, since he's so obese that the folds of his fat completely cover the hilt of the sword in his belly.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

ChirpingGirl

Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:19 AM
I learned realtors are worse than used car salesmen.

"It's old, but it has lots of potential."

:roll:

Offline JBRG

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #90 on: May 05, 2017, 05:18:57 PM
Yesterday, my Danish wife and I learned that 4 May 1945 was the day that Denmark was liberated from the Nazis. 2 days prior to VE Day.

That is all.

Offline topkin

• Not Yet A Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-0
Reply #91 on: May 14, 2017, 11:43:50 PM
Today I learned that all the sh*t going on won't matter in 100 years, so why bother.

IdleBoast

Reply #92 on: May 14, 2017, 11:56:43 PM
Today I learned that all the sh*t going on won't matter in 100 years, so why bother.

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.1914.org/

Offline Sensualtravler

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +67/-17
Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 11:04:55 PM

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth."

Offline stertales

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +10/-0
  • aahhh young love
Reply #94 on: July 15, 2017, 07:45:36 PM
Mechanics don't know everything about cars-after having my truck serviced a couple days ago the mechanic said I need to change the cabin air filter on my 2004 silverado. I thought ok-no problem easy fix I do a lot of my own simple work. Well after pulling out the shroud under the dashboard and searching in vain for a filter I went back the internet and did a bit of searching.Seems chevy didn't put cabin filters in the 04's!
1)So mechanics dont always research your vehicle and make appropriate recommendations
2) I can save $20-40 now since I don't need a filter!

A link to all my stories can be found in my profile.

Offline JBRG

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #95 on: July 17, 2017, 05:07:58 PM
Over the past couple of weeks, I've learned that electricians from 20 years ago were idiots. Who in the hell wires the microwave range hood, kitchen lights, bathroom, bedroom and living room lights on the same circuit?

That is all.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #96 on: July 18, 2017, 07:21:39 PM
Over the past couple of weeks, I've learned that electricians from 20 years ago were idiots. Who in the hell wires the microwave range hood, kitchen lights, bathroom, bedroom and living room lights on the same circuit?
they didn't do the math.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #97 on: August 04, 2017, 05:15:12 PM
I learned the term -    refractory period

Merv posted a video link in the topic "What I looked at the last time I masturbated" with a link to a girl who makes a guy orgasm 3 times in 15 minutes.

I learned in biology in school that a guy needed 20 to 30 minutes before he could get another erection and orgasm again.  

So, I looked it up and found this answer that describes the Refractory Period.   Happy to read that a woman does not have a refractory period, which I knew already. :)

That recharging time you rightly refer to is called the refractory period. During the refractory period, which follows orgasm and ejaculation, men cannot be restimulated to orgasm and ejaculation. Women do not have a refractory period, and may be stimulated to another orgasm immediately after having had one.

How long does the refractory period last? There's no standard waiting time, so there's not much point in comparing. For some men, it's mere minutes before they can come again; for others, it takes hours, or even a good night's sleep. The length of the refractory period usually increases with age and differs from individual to individual and occasion to occasion. For young men, the refractory period is usually shorter or seemingly nonexistent; for older men, it is longer. Also, some guys get soft during the refractory period, while others maintain erections.

Source link: http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/getting-erection-after-ejaculating-full-story

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline JBRG

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #98 on: August 05, 2017, 12:02:39 AM
The other day I learned that a sapphire can be any colour except red. If it's red, it's a ruby. Both are corundum. The colour comes from the inclusions in the mineral. Rubies are corundum infused with chromium.

I also learned at the same time that there are currently only 2 queens regnant (Queens who rule in their own right). They are Elizabeth II of Great Britain and Margrethe II of Denmark.

That is all.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #99 on: September 03, 2017, 03:55:18 PM
Nice canvas for painting.

I didn't understand the reference ST was making toward a video.

A google search helped me determine it meant :   to ejaculate on another persons chest or face.

Version 9.15
POY 2016