Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1768/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #380 on: May 06, 2016, 01:35:35 AM
Wizards First Rule, by Terry Goodkind.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline herschel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +222/-1
Reply #381 on: May 07, 2016, 06:17:17 PM
The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age,
by John Michael Greer

I caught wind of peak oil around the same time I woke to the fact that we had a certifiable moron in the White House, which clued me in to big trouble brewing under the foundations of the delusion passing as western democracy. That led me to John Michael Greer, who is probably the weirdest intellectual hero as well as the straightest thinker I have come across in my long years of nosing around trying to dig out the truth, if there is any, about our human predicament.

Good druid that he is, Greer takes the long view of things, long as in sidereal. When you think in terms of saeculae saeculorum, that really puts things in perspective.

Thinking on that time scale brings to mind the views of the psychologist Rollo May, who classified human thought into rough categories of chicken shit through bullshit to elephant shit. When you contemplate the long run, that cuts through a lot of the tiny elements that feed our day-to-day streams of thought. We appreciate the deep currents more, and learn to disregard the tiny ripples on the surface.

We live in the ripples, and we are occasionally battered by the storms that take a few days to blow by. The unlucky ones are those who live most of a lifetime in turmoil. Sadly, that happens a lot, and for them, death may come as a relief. Moments, hours, days, decades, maybe a century is the time span which we can wrap our attention around.

When we look to recent history for guidance as to what we can expect over the next year or decade, even the experts get fooled on a regular basis. Who knows what another year will bring? Who knew a year ago that Trump would snatch the nomination from the Republican placeholders? Who knew in 2013 that Germany would call back their gold from 'safekeeping' at Fort Knox, and that the US would say you can't have it, dunno when, won't say why? In 2007 with the Dow over 14,000, that 18 months later it would be be down by half? That banks would charge you for holding your money instead of paying you interest? Or just take your money, 'legally,' because they need it?

So we see lots of things everybody thought would never happen, they happen, and keep happening. Something ain't right here!

John Michael Greer keeps coming up with lessons on how the ripples play out against the perspective of the deep currents. One of his best posts is up on his weekly blog right now at http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/

ChirpingGirl

Reply #382 on: May 09, 2016, 03:02:28 AM
Right now my 4 year old and I are just about to start Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I love reading with her :D

Offline tagjohnson

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +4/-0
  • HP Lovecraft, my favorite theologian
Reply #383 on: July 03, 2016, 10:01:43 PM
The Holy Roman Empire by Friedrich Keer

SyFyChannelSucks at Yahoo Groups

Offline vinney

• POM - March 2012 - October 2014 - December 2015 - POY 2015
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +948/-3
  • Excuse me ma'am... you're sitting on my tonka toy.
Reply #384 on: July 03, 2016, 11:17:04 PM
The Forgotten Girls by Alexa Steele... Good read so far... and it'll get better...!

vinney

If you've got a cock then use it, if you're a lady abuse it.

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
Reply #385 on: July 15, 2016, 05:02:32 AM

Succubi are Forever by Jill Myles (aka Jessica Clare and Jessica Sims)

Intro to chapter 5:

"Come on.  What woman hasn't had to wrap her lips around something unsavory and sell it to the crowd?" -- Memoirs of a Flesh Peddler, by Remy Summore

Unlike her earlier Succubi novels, this one took a LONG time to get their clothes off (well, in any DETAIL, that is!).  :emot_kiss:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2923539.Jill_Myles

edit:

I'm done, that's it, the series is over.  Unfortunately Jill's publisher didn't want to print any more of that group since the sales weren't high enough.  Jill still has stories in her head about that world, and I'm dismayed that financial circumstances keep her from writing them.  She had to self-publish Succubui are Forever to get it printed.  That's got to be a gruesome ordeal, and a true labor of love.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:44:18 PM by RopeFiend »

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +379/-9
Reply #386 on: July 15, 2016, 04:40:42 PM
From 1933.
Author: Otis Adelbert Kline
"The Swordsman Of Mars"

Kline was also a notable assistance in writing the original "Conan Books"
of Robert E. Howard (as Kline was Howards Literary Agent).

Love,
Liz

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #387 on: July 22, 2016, 02:10:20 AM

I'd read the rest of that series years ago, and finally found the one missing book with Abe.  It's REALLY, REALLY hard to find some of these authors when they use off-brand publishers.

I loved this book... the action was decently paced, the scenes well played, the characters fleshed-out enough to seem real.  It ended too soon for me, somewhere between a novella and a short book in length.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #388 on: August 04, 2016, 02:54:39 AM
My brother-in-law has a lot of books.   Just came across Clan Of The Cavebear a couple weeks ago.   I'm finding it very interesting.   

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Elizabeth

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #389 on: August 04, 2016, 04:14:03 AM
My brother-in-law has a lot of books.   Just came across Clan Of The Cavebear a couple weeks ago.   I'm finding it very interesting.   

Just wait till you dig into the entire series.....
six very long volumes

Love,
Liz

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #390 on: August 04, 2016, 01:26:46 PM

Just wait till you dig into the entire series.....
six very long volumes

Love,
Liz

What?    I thought it was just one book.  I'm not good at finishing series because they never hold my interest, or I don't like where the author takes it in the third.   Usually they'll hold true for the 2nd book but then go off course.    

Ugh, this first book is already long.    At the pace I read it'll take me 3 years to read it.   I like to read a couple of books at a time.

(edit)

Yep, you were right.
The Clan of the Cave Bear, The Valley of Horses, The Mammoth Hunters, The Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone. The Land of Painted Caves

I don't even think he has these in paperback or if he ever read them.   Will have to get into his kindle account.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:31:50 PM by MintJulie »

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #391 on: August 12, 2016, 02:30:20 AM

WAS reading: Mark Henry, "Happy Hour of the Damned"

Too many adjectives, too much flowery description, and TOO MANY DAMNED FOOTNOTES.
39 pages in, I put it down and decided to grab something else.  I also crossed his OTHER book off of my "find it later" list, based on this example.

Christ on a crutch, one page had 3 different footnotes from the earlier text on the page.  That's a bit much, kiddo.  I might tolerate it from Terry Pratchett, but he's a GOOD author that keeps the story flowing.  At page 39 of THIS beast, he still hadn't gotten the story out of the gate.  There were footnotes on every page, or thereabouts.  WAY too distracting, Mark.  It'd lost it's charm by page 20.

There's too many good books out there to waste my time on something that's impossible to read.  NEXT!!

Offline vinney

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #392 on: August 12, 2016, 10:05:54 AM
The Hope That Kills...by Ed James. A detective novel set in an area of East London that I know from the past... Pretty good read so far...

vinney

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #393 on: September 03, 2016, 05:57:58 AM

Laura Ann Gilman, 'Freefall' (urban fantasy, trade pb from Luna)

It's #5 of 6 in Laura's 'Retrievers' series, Abe finally came through for me.  Finding off-brand trade paperbacks is frequently hard.  I'd read the others previously, and loved this one.  It's fast-paced, full of action with good visualization.  As an author, Laura reminds me strongly of Kim Harrison.  Highly recommended series, if you're into the genre.

Now that I'm done with *that* series, I'm starting on Laura's 'Paranormal Scene Investigations' 4-book series in the same 'Cosa Nostradamus' universe.  AbeBooks delivered last month.  :D

Offline vinney

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #394 on: September 03, 2016, 09:55:49 AM
Angel, a murder mystery and number four in a series by L J Ross. Good read.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #395 on: September 04, 2016, 10:09:06 PM
Sales strategy books.   B   O    R   I   N   G

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1615/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #396 on: September 09, 2016, 09:43:45 PM
The girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins...

vinney

I am reading The Girl On the Train now. Wife reads mostly fiction while I mostly read non-fiction but when we think the other may like a certain book, we put it in our reading queue.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline vinney

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #397 on: September 09, 2016, 10:01:04 PM
I think its been made into a film now Watcher...

And I've just started reading 'Blood on the Tracks' by Barbara Nickless... Only about four pages in but it has the feel of a good read...

vinney

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #398 on: September 10, 2016, 05:18:07 AM
The girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins...

vinney

I am reading The Girl On the Train now. Wife reads mostly fiction while I mostly read non-fiction but when we think the other may like a certain book, we put it in our reading queue.

I loved Girl On The Train.     It's one of those books I couldn't put down.    I won't watch the movie, though I didn't know it was made into one.

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Elizabeth

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #399 on: September 10, 2016, 04:10:32 PM
I decided to pick up a "Classic Novel" to read.......so.....
I'm re-reading (and I haven't read it since school)......"Treasure Island".

Love,
Liz