News:

One-shot or chapter-wise?

Asmodel · 438

Offline Asmodel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-1164
on: April 15, 2022, 03:06:04 PM
To all the writers out there,
What kind is publishing trend is more suitable?
Publishing the story as a whole in one post?
Or
Posting each chapter separately in one story-thread?

Offline LtBroccoli

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +33/-0
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 05:11:42 PM
Depends on the story.  Over at RavishU, I published two stories earlier this week, one in each format.  The chapter based story is part of a long tale that I'm working on, while the one-off was just a quickie.  Well, quickie by my standards.  It was still long enough to be broken into two parts, but that's because I went over the 10k limit.

If you have a tale that's a quick in-done-out, go for it.  If you think it is best served by breaking up into chapters, do it.  The story will tell you.

If going by chapters, keeping them in a thread is ideal, in my opinion.  Otherwise you need to link to the previous chapters, hope people that click on to read the last chapter have navigated through the previous ones, and don't get completely sidetracked along the way.

Always close the program you're running before exiting the holodeck

Author's Directory is located Here

Offline Asmodel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-1164
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 05:13:58 PM
Depends on the story.  Over at RavishU, I published two stories earlier this week, one in each format.  The chapter based story is part of a long tale that I'm working on, while the one-off was just a quickie.  Well, quickie by my standards.  It was still long enough to be broken into two parts, but that's because I went over the 10k limit.

If you have a tale that's a quick in-done-out, go for it.  If you think it is best served by breaking up into chapters, do it.  The story will tell you.

If going by chapters, keeping them in a thread is ideal, in my opinion.  Otherwise you need to link to the previous chapters, hope people that click on to read the last chapter have navigated through the previous ones, and don't get completely sidetracked along the way.
That’s very good advice, thank you sir.
I guess I’ll go for the one-shot format with this one.