KB - a better class of pervert

News:

What are you listening to?

Grm · 176751

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3088/-41
Reply #2020 on: June 13, 2020, 06:26:00 PM

Yesterday I read about a tribute cover by Olivia Newton-John of the Carpenters' song "Rainy Days and Mondays." She and Karen Carpenter were very close friends, and she recorded her version in 2004.

I gave it a listen, and her voice was very weak and fragile, reflective of the fact that she was then in her mid-50s, about 30 years after she first appeared on the scene, and she had been ravaged both physically and emotionally by a bout of breast cancer. But it was still an interesting cover, since it is very sweet and wistful, reflective of the fact that she was older, sadder, and wiser.

Then I dug out my Carpenters Greatest Hits CD, and put it on. While I wasn't alive at the time, the Carpenters dominated 1970s music. They had a total of 27 songs that appeared on the Billboard "Hot 100" chart, three of which reached the #1 spot (“Top of the Word,” their cover of “Please Mr. Postman,” and “Close to You”), and several others that reached the Top 10. "Rainy Days and Mondays" reached the #2 spot, but was kept from reaching #1 by Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move."

The Carpenters are deemed by many to be the epitome of bad 70s pop music. They were, indeed, a pop group, and their songs are indeed pop songs. But Karen Carpenter had an absolutely amazing voice. It was incredibly lush and rich, and she could use it to interpret many different genres of music. And her brother's layered harmonies perfectly complemented her singing.

I know most of the songs, since my Mom was a big Carpenters fan, and their music was part of the soundtrack of my formative years. And it was wonderful to hear it all again!

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1616/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2021 on: June 13, 2020, 08:14:30 PM
Karen Carpenter was praised for her 3-octave contralto vocal range. Her drumming abilities were viewed positively by other musicians and critics. Her struggles with eating disorders would later raise awareness of anorexia and body dysmorphia. When she died of a cardiac arrest, she weighed only 108 pounds. Their music was considered soft rock.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline purpleshoes

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +431/-10
Reply #2022 on: June 14, 2020, 12:38:45 PM

I fell in love with Karen Carpenter's voice long before ever seeing what she looked like. She's been gone now for 37 years, and would have turned 70 years old this past March.

She could be a poster girl to represent so many who were taken from us far too soon.

I won't even try to list any others because I'd end up leaving too many out. I'm sure each of us could name several right off the top of our head.

RIP KC. I'm going to dig out my own copy of The Carpenters Greatest Hits.  :'(

Offline blackdog

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +11/-0
Reply #2023 on: July 25, 2020, 11:44:26 AM
Gerry Rafferty - "Baker Strett. This is the album version which is approximately 2 minutes longer than the single's version so there is more of the brilliant saxophone plus of course the guitar and keyboard solos. Enjoy!!!

Inside every "God bless your heart" is a tiny "F**k you"

Offline ladylibido

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +5/-0
    • Erotica by Libitina Lucus
Reply #2024 on: August 01, 2020, 10:07:03 AM
Grabbed a dedicated MP3 player a couple weeks ago (yes, genuinely. It's honestly been a fantastic purchase decision) and I've loaded it up with a lot of music and I just let it shuffle and that's a lot of music so to narrow it down to more recent acquisitions, I nabbed albums from STARSET, Nothing More, Bring Me The Horizon, and Apashe and I cycled a lot between those albums.

geezer

Reply #2025 on: August 01, 2020, 03:09:38 PM
no comment
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:00:35 PM by geezer »

_priapism

Reply #2026 on: August 01, 2020, 07:10:03 PM
English Settlement, a studio album by British pop group XTC, released in 1982

Inspired me to listen again to “Dear God” from Skylarking (1986).  Those were some good years.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2959/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #2027 on: August 05, 2020, 06:44:39 PM

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #2028 on: August 09, 2020, 05:20:57 PM

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #2029 on: August 10, 2020, 11:10:27 PM

_priapism

Reply #2030 on: August 10, 2020, 11:41:25 PM
The Weather Girls, 1982.  Haven’t heard that in ages. 

Offline blackdog

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +11/-0
Reply #2031 on: September 11, 2020, 12:24:13 PM
One of the all time greatest orchestral compositions written for a Hollywood musical. "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue."

Inside every "God bless your heart" is a tiny "F**k you"

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #2032 on: September 13, 2020, 08:25:28 PM

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1618/-3
Reply #2033 on: September 14, 2020, 02:27:08 PM

Half Man Half Biscuit (a UK satirical punk band from the 80s, and still going I believe)

"All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAHJN77bqOA

and "Trumpton Riots"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZxkErDC16A

If there is another band that uses toys and childrens cartoon characters as inspirations for social commentary I would like to hear them.  ;D

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Gonfalon

Reply #2034 on: September 14, 2020, 03:02:51 PM
ZZ Top's Tres Hombres, especially La Grange. I can still recall the exact time and place where I first heard that over the radio.

I used to have the LP of that album, and I also have the CD. Yesterday I found a 24-bit 192kHz remastered version of the album. Have mercy!

Gonfalon

Reply #2035 on: September 16, 2020, 03:41:11 AM
Nine Inch Nails' Hurt (Quiet) from the Downward Spiral album. Until a few minutes ago I didn't know there was a quiet version. I found it on Disk 2 of the deluxe edition. I much prefer this to the loud version.

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt is superb. There's also an a cappella rendition on YouTube. The female voice crescendo gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Offline Sweetums

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +97/-1
  • Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Don't listen to me.
Reply #2036 on: September 16, 2020, 04:23:04 AM
Prokofiev Cello Sonata in C Major, Op. 119

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1616/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2037 on: September 16, 2020, 01:47:35 PM
ZZ Top's Tres Hombres, especially La Grange. I can still recall the exact time and place where I first heard that over the radio.

I used to have the LP of that album, and I also have the CD. Yesterday I found a 24-bit 192kHz remastered version of the album. Have mercy!

Just think of all the money we spent on LPs, cassettes and CDs and the equipment to play them on. But I understand vinyl is making a comeback.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Gonfalon

Reply #2038 on: September 16, 2020, 02:55:18 PM

Just think of all the money we spent on LPs, cassettes and CDs and the equipment to play them on. But I understand vinyl is making a comeback.

Agreed. So much obsolete equipment to play obsolete formats. It was stupid of me to buy CD versions of my favorite LPs, but I was swayed by the miraculous absence of snap, crackle and pop resulting from groove wear. Add together all the Betamax and VHS and Laserdisc players I've trashed, plus all the media that went with them. If I'd just stuck with vinyl and then jumped straight to streaming audio and video, I'd now be sunning myself on a beach in Barbados.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #2039 on: September 16, 2020, 03:39:47 PM

Agreed. So much obsolete equipment to play obsolete formats. It was stupid of me to buy CD versions of my favorite LPs, but I was swayed by the miraculous absence of snap, crackle and pop resulting from groove wear. Add together all the Betamax and VHS and Laserdisc players I've trashed, plus all the media that went with them. If I'd just stuck with vinyl and then jumped straight to streaming audio and video, I'd now be sunning myself on a beach in Barbados.

I still buy CD, I download to my phone still, but my stereo doesnt have bluetooth and the for some reason it doesnt connect with my phone.  It cost me $600 and I bought it right after I got out of the Army.  Had all that deployment money that was burning a hole in my pocket  :facepalm:

It still works great, sounds great, and no need to replace it yet so I just buy CDs and keep feeding it my music.