Shiela_M · 12136

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1771/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #320 on: April 13, 2024, 05:49:22 AM
It was neat, but nothing worth fighting home about. The sex after was better!

A partial eclipse is neat. A total eclipse is amazing. Two totally different experiences. 
Hit the Dakotas in 2034.
Dan and I are thinking about visiting the south of Spain in 2027 for that eclipse.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2967/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #321 on: April 18, 2024, 09:42:54 PM
Went down the cosmic rabbit hole today.

So I was reading about exoplanets that could possible sustain life. These earth like planets lie within the habitable zone of their stars and could potentially be home to intelligent life... or not. The problem with some of these is that some get too much radiation from their home star, and some are three or even four times as large as earth so even if we found a way to reach these planets, our bodies would need a great deal of time to adjust to the weight differences.

This had me thinking, what would happen if Earth suddenly became the size of, oh... let's say. . . Jupiter!

Jupiter us 300x larger than earth meaning everything would weigh 300x more. Everything we know would be crushed under it's own weight. Very little would be able to withstand the increased gravitational pull. People weight 200 lbs would suddenly weigh almost a ton. Literally pulled to the ground under your own weight. Most trees would grumble, and those strong enough to keep standing would have all of their branches ripped off... not a pleasant ending for life on earth.

It does not stop there however. There are a few other victims in this hypothetical. Murcery and Venus would be pulled away from their orbit around the sun, and quite quickly be cast out of the solar system if they do not end up crashing into each other. Mars would suffer a similar fate as it would be stuck between super earth and Jupiter. It might even be thrown into one of those two planets. The outer planets would be less affected even though the gravtianla pull would pass by them more frequently.

The last victim on this list would be our moon. It would be ripped to shreds. The moon is already oval shaped do to the earth's gravitational pull, so the increase wpuld.pull the poor moon apart.

On the up side, the destruction of the moon would allow super earth to have beautiful rings. They would not be as spectacular as Saturn's and would not shine as brightly because unlike Saturn's rings, which are made up of rock and ice, super earths rings would be solely rocks. Being this close to the sun, any ice in the rings would basically melt and be dispersed. These would still be quite bright as they would reflect the sun same as it does on the moon. Every square meter would shine as bright as 130 watt lightbulb. These rings would also effect any life that would have survived or whatever new life may form, as they would cause shadows.

There is so much more, but I droned on enough about this. If you're still interested, you can keep reading it here.
https://www.livescience.com/what-if-earth-had-rings.html

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1634/-3
Reply #322 on: April 19, 2024, 12:54:05 PM

That's very interesting, thanks Shiela. Definitely woo-able

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2967/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #323 on: May 03, 2024, 01:39:16 AM
Did you know that 1 year on Mercury is about 88 Earth days. And that 1 day is about 176 Earth days.

A day on Mercury is nearly twice as long as it's year. The reason is the proximity to the sun. Planets that close to their host star, and generally tidally locked, meaning that only one side of the planet faces the star, and had no rotation. Just like how the moon is tidally locked to Earth.

The reason that Mercury is not tidally locked is simple. Venus. The next closest planet to the sun causes just enough gravitational interference to give Mercury a slight rotation. If Venus was not there, Mercury would have no rotation and that one side of then planet would be a literal hell.