News:

Members' movie reviews

Grm · 36105

Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +456/-117
  • Goodbye KB
on: December 10, 2009, 05:57:45 PM
Who doesn't like going to the movies? Popcorn, hot dogs, really giant bins of cola half filled with ice. Then of course there's coping a feel in the back row, trying out your first fag[cigarette.] Of course these days its oversize 3D glasses that make you look like Brains in Thunderbirds and maybe a decent film to watch. As a matter of interest why do Cinema's always turn up the volume so loud you feel like your eyeballs are being sucked out? Anyway try adding your movie reviews in this thread.

We went to see 'A Christmas Carol' in 3D, I  must say I quiet enjoyed it, Jim Carrey's voice for Scrooge was excellent and sounded as though it was modelled on Alastair Sim. You would think that little could be added to such a well known and filmed story, but the 3D affects and almost, but not quiet, realistic animation of the characters did add a new perspective. Good Christmas fun. three thumbs up
:emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:40:09 AM by Grm »

Offline buddyChrist

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +160/-28
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:33 PM
Since the wife and I are DINKs, one of our favorite past times is going to the movies. Sadly, we have not been to on in awhile. I think the last one may have been Zombieland.
Normally, we just go to be entertained, and do not critique unless unhappy, or blown away.
The last movie I think either of us had any strong opinion of was District 9. The wife hated it. I found the movie interesting, and was amazed at how good the effects were, and that they were not thrown in your face all the time. The effects took a back seat to the story. I liked this movie. I am not sure about watching it again, but I was glad that I did see it in the theater.

Inglorious Basterds- This may have been after District 9, but I do not recall. We were both glad to have seen this movie. This kind of comedy is Brad Pitts niche. Mr. and Mrs. Smith being in the same vein. Character that is supposed to be all business, but you have to laugh at him. The bad guy, he was uber creepy. I just love having a character that I absolutely HATE!

The last movie I saw was Paranormal Activity with some friends. I liked that this movie did not rely on effects and big budgets to be good. It did a good job of setting it up, and letting your imagination draw you in. What effects that were there were well done, but mostly it relied on you, and your imagination. Absolutely hated the guy behind us, when something was about to happen saying 'here it comes, here it comes!"

Haiku:
Five syllables here,
Seven more syllables here,
Are you happy now?

Offline Dudester

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +67/-66
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:10:48 PM
25 years ago, I used to see 75-80 movies a year. So far this year, the only movie that impressed me was Up. It was beyond impressive, it deserves Oscars. The opening five minutes, where not a word was spoken was true genius. This was a part of a kid's movie, made for adults, that had said adults crying. Genius.

On another board, it was asked if CGI was going to be the death of human actors. Actually, it'll be the death of 20 million dollars per picture actors. It'll be the rebirth of good writing (there's been a dearth of that for the past twenty years). When the studio system collapsed and actors made the decisions of what projects were made, good writing went in the trash bin and raging stupidity became a runaway juggernaut. Many movies today are heavy on spectacle and violence, and thoroughly lacking on plot and subtlety. Hollyweird likes to point at financial figures, but keeps forgetting (and ignoring) that fewer and fewer people are going to the theaters nowadays. People will go if there's a shared experience to be had. People turned out in droves for Titanic (although I think of DeCaprio as a real life Jar Jar Binks [annoying]) and they cried through the attack scene in Pearl Harbor. Emotionally, the scene was excellent, historically, it stunk.

Up was supposed to be a kid's movie, but a shot has been fired over the bow of actor led projects to grow up or get left behind. I only wish that there were more studios, like Pixar, because there's some scripts I'd like to give them.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1604/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:15:38 PM
The movie, UP, was very good - for both the young and the young at heart.  Two thumbs up. :emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:26:13 PM by Grm »

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
  • Goodbye KB
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:25:21 PM
Avatar, stunning, imaginative, memorable and ground breaking, all 'big' movies will be judged against this from now on. :emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup:

Offline bluedragonwolf

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +4/-1
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 09:22:19 AM
Thank you Grm... I'm actually wanting to see Avatar, mostly because Im just curious about it (I've heard nothing about the storyline).

And while I have great reservations about it, I want to see Sherlock Holmes.  Having read the books, I have a feeling I may come away disappointed, but who knows, I may be surprised.

Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
  • Goodbye KB
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:19:32 AM
Avatar's story line isn't actually original, think Pocahontas,  but the 3D imagery and depth off the experience more than overcomes this. There are very few films I would think of watching again soon after walking out of the cinema, but this is one.

Sherlock Holmes has a particular resonance with me, I love the Victorian language the stories are written in, lovely old English. It looks by its previews to be a comedy/action movie set in the 1890s, if it brings anything original to the genre I will be surprised and the choice of an American actor Robert Downey jr to  play the part of Sherlock is deeply disappointing. Its only saving grace might be its director Guy Ritchie, but here too his films have gone down hill since Lock Stock, so we will have to see.

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1375/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 12:58:15 PM
Avatar = snore fest (except for the 3-D)! Big deal... fuckin Smurfs go to war. In fact I wanna call it "Dances with Battle Smurfs".
Sherlock Holmes = Not as great as I hoped... I love Robert Downey Jr. but it lacked sizzle... very little chemistry between the stars.

Overall this year:

#5 - UP - So cute it hurt! (SQUIRREL!)
#4 - Adventureland - Sweet movie and Kristen Stewart is way cooler and far sexier than in those gawddamned vampire SNORELIGHT movies!
#3 - Inglourious Basterds - WOW... that was cool! Might even be better than Pulp Fiction.
#2 - The Hangover - I laughed so hard I pee'd a little!

and #1 -

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

OK, lets start with the fact that Heath Ledger (like Johnny Depp) had broken out from the heart throb thing and was stretching his wings as a REAL actor. I am so pissed that he died.

Then you have TG making what I think is his best film since Brazil. Seriously beautiful storyline... I cared about ALL the characters and I never pulled away from the movie once!

And then we have Lily Cole...
Red Head Fans ALERT!!!!!!!!

I have it bad for her now...

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:24:54 AM by Gia1978 »

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 02:10:13 PM
Cool selections.  I have only seen your #5 and #4 choices and agree with you. Have to admit I haven't heard of your #1 choice, but will have to add it to my must see list - if for no other reason then Lily Cole.  ;D

Offline DanteDC

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +63/-19
  • Mind Wander
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:31:42 PM
Number 1 looks like Alice in wonderland for adults to me.

Late at night you are walking and you see a floating light and you think huh. You keep walking and see me just standing there blank faced.

Pervert of the Month January 10.

Offline bluedragonwolf

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +4/-1
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 07:43:23 PM
Imaginarium was the movie Ledger was doing when he died I believe.  Very sad thing that, he was a fantastic actor.  I've actually yet to see it, and I dont know why.

Hangover was very funny, agreed.

And damn you Gia, I still havent seen Inglorious Bastards yet.  And I need someone to blame other than myself. Alas, I can not.  Better than pulp fiction though eh?  hmmm, we shall see.... we shall see.

Offline Schuey

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +3/-0
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:02 PM
Have to agree with Hangover as a hoot!  Up was moving (figuratively speaking).    To me it was a time to reflect on the dreams we have and how sometimes we get so caught up in life,  we let those dreams go. 

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 03:29:31 PM

And damn you Gia, I still havent seen Inglorious Bastards yet.  And I need someone to blame other than myself. Alas, I can not.  Better than pulp fiction though eh?  hmmm, we shall see.... we shall see.

For me not yet viewing Inglorious Bastards I blame NetFlix - the movie has been on top of my list since it was released and they keep sending me my second choices.

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1375/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 11:49:23 PM
To spell the title of the movie "correctly", you have to spell it incorrectly: Inglourious Basterds - kinda the point that Lt. Aldo Rane can't spell...

I watched it again on Blue Ray at a friends house on a 55" flat screen and I laughed my tits of when Brad Pitt says, "Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties... Number one, you're fighting in a basement!"

P.S. - You DO NOT talk about Fight Club!!!!
XOXO
~Gia

Offline terra_lays

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +68/-1
  • huh?
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:44:58 AM
Up should be higher

adventureland...was ok

Bastards is fantastic but i cant put anything over Fiction

Hangover hell ya! :emot_laughing:

I havnt seen your #1 yet >:(

My life feels empty without someone in me.

Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
  • Goodbye KB
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 12:36:17 PM
I just watched The Time Traveller's Wife on dvd, kept missing it at the movies, although we did want to see it having read the book. A strange, haunting book and for ounce the film was almost as good. Its not usually advisable to read the book before the movie, as film rarely matches your imagination. I'm not sure I want to go watch The Road, the book was awesome, but really hard work on your emotions, I'm frightened my stomach and tear ducts might not be up to the big screen version.
The Time Traveller's Wife,
:emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup: :emot_thmbsup:

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 07:25:47 PM
I watched Avatar at home first and decided it needed the big screen so then saw it in the theatre.

The story is predictable.  Ever see Dances with Wolves?  It's that crossed with global destruction.  Our hero is a Marine who changes sides when he realizes that he loves his new people an their nature loving culture more than his old one.  A political message of which Melissa would not approve, bless her extremist right wing-nut heart. 

But Visually?  OMG!  Absolutely stunning.

I also saw ZombieLand.  Loved Woody Harrelson's performance.  Need a comedy?  Here you are.

I've started to watch Inglorious Basterds a couple of times, but havent managed it yet.  Can't get out of the farm house.  *sigh*

Offline Dudester

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +67/-66
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 02:27:41 AM
Okay, I get it. For a lot of Americans it's about the visual spectacle, just the visual spectacle, and only the visual spectacle. Things like writing, directing, and acting really don't matter. Show them some car chases and explosions and they're good. With that said....

I like to go to my local movie theater because:

A) It's never crowded.

B) It doesn't have 3D capability. When I see a movie, it's without gimmicks and I can judge it on writing merit.

I've been watching sci fi since the original Star Trek aired on TV in the late 1960's. Because I'm a decades long sci fi fan, I went to see Avatar. Yawn.

The first 90 minutes of this movie are simply delicious and loaded with tremendous potential, but at the ninety one minute mark, it turns into a long anti American and anti military rant. Shame on James Cameron for ruining what could've been a classic.

It's Raining Hypocrites

The indigenous, nature loving, people of this movie suddenly find themselves in opposition to industrialists, who stand to make some serious bucks from their holy spot. Cameron is making the analogy to native Americans, who took a licking from invading Europeans, but let's tell the truth shall we?

What happened in the American west was a battle between nomads and farmers, it's that simple. In order to apply to our times, let's try an experiment. Leave your place of residence for six months. Make sure you leave the doors wide open and don't pay your bills (rent, mortgage, untilities, etc.). What shape will your place be in in six months? But wait a minute, you're a nomad. You have a God given right to expect that nothing will happen to your residence while you leave it unattended for six months, right?

What about places that Hollywood types gentrified? Did you know that families that lived in Santa Fe New Mexico for four hundred years can no longer afford to live there? They've been forced to leave town because Hollywood types made it unaffordable to live there, unless you have a seven figure annual income. Same thing in Vail and Boulder Colorado, as well as Jackson Hole Wyoming. Is anyone making movies about these people? HELL NO !!

The Cult of the Marine Corps

When I served in the Marines, I was there to protect, serve, and defend my country. There is within the Corps, a cult who consider themselves Marines first, and Americans second. They serve the corps and only the corps. The corps is first and only in their lives and they try to destroy Patriots, because they don't serve the corps, and are therefore, a danger to them.

The Marines in Avatar are from the cult. Thing is, no corporation in the world hires more than one cult type. They usually correct their mistake once they see one cult type. Have you ever worked with a cult type? Work with one, just once, and you'll see what I mean. Cult types end up alone and unloved because no one wants anything to do with them.

Ruining a Classic

Hollywood created an all time classic with the movie Lost Horizon. Avatar could've been this generation's Lost Horizon, if Cameron hadn't started a 60 minute rant against a society whose problems he helped create. Cameron sank into the gutter, and in the process, ripped us off. Since Al Gore easily won Hypocrite of the Year for 2009, I'm nominating Cameron for 2010. Of course, there's 11 more months to go and he's going to have steep competition from the likes of Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.   

It is possible to fix Avatar. Some narration at the beginning of the movie, reshoot five minutes to add on at the ninety minute mark, add some narration at the end, and you'll have an all time classic. It's like deleting Jar Jar Binks from George Lucas' movies. I might buy the DVD, if I can find it for under five bucks. Because this movie will be forgettable in a year or two, this should be easy.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 07:31:52 AM
I just finished watching "The Time Travelers Wife"

I got a little weepy.

Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
  • Goodbye KB
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 03:27:08 PM
I just finished watching "The Time Travelers Wife"

I got a little weepy.
Read the book now, it has an even more poignant ending.