KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Members' movie reviews  (Read 27248 times)
psiberzerker
Burnt at the stake

Fame 129

« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »

Why do space zombies look so much sexier than other zombies?

I'm guessing in this case, silicone sealant?

because airless space preserves the bodies better?

Hang on, let me put on my nerd glasses real quick...

Well, actually.  The airlessness is often taken to mean that "Space" is right around 0 Kelvin, when there's no Ambient temperature in space.  Heat is ultimately a measure of molecular motion, no molecules, no motion.  Also, the anerobic environment wouldn't be a great place for the microbes that typically break down exposed flesh to live in.

On the other hand, if you happen to be near a Star, then the environment also lacks the atmosphere, magnetosphere, and ionosphere which protects us on the surface from being blasted by radiation which would basically burn you to a crisp, instantly.  On the surface of the moon, the "Daytime" (With the caveat that the day is actually half a Month) can reach 250+ degrees Fahrenheit, instantly.  That's right about the temp you set your oven, or crock pot to slow cook a pot roast.  

That's just the Photons.  So, while you're right in assuming that it would be Sterile, that's only really because you're talking about the conditions in a Vacuum Autoclave.  However, this is Radiant, and directional.  So, assuming they're not rotating, I would expect one side to be zombie pale, and the other to be blackened by the sun:

Like this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 04:24:55 PM by psiberzerker » Logged

Do you understand Zen?
msslave
Freakishly Strange

Fame 271

« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »

Pooh is a favorite memory of mine.  I still remember my Dad reading the stories to me at bed time.  One story talked about "Pooh sticks" a game where they'd drop two sticks off a bridge, race to the other side to see who's stick made it under the bridge first.  Dad and I played that alot when we found ourselves on a bridge.  Even showed it to a couple wifes!

I've passed on all the Pooh movies.  Just think they might pop the balloon of my childhood memories.  In my dotage...it's just around the corner...I've often thought of reading the books again.

Well trained and been made compliant....by our two cats.
MintJulie
Version 9.2
Super Freak
Burnt at the stake

Fame 513

Rain is a good thing

« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »

Mark and I watched 'Victoria and Abdul' last night.   Pleasantly entertaining.  A few laugh out loud moments with Abdul's cultural difference in front of the Queen.  Smiles to see the Queen find some enjoyment in her later years of life with a new friend, and her willingness to learn about him and his culture.  A couple of hours well spent on a rainy Wednesday evening.

Bourbon is not the answer.
Bourbon is the question. 
"Yes" is the answer.
Katiebee
Shield Maiden POY 2018
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 922

Achieving world domination, one body at a time.

« Reply #288 on: November 14, 2018, 04:30:27 AM »

Bohemian Rhapsody.

I loved it! Rami Malek Did a wonderful job as Freddie Mercury. And God he can sing!

It was strong, sometimes funny, very sweet and tragic. And the music was to die for.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.
RopeFiend
The Cleaner
Super Freak
Burnt at the stake

Fame 615

« Reply #289 on: December 12, 2018, 01:41:15 AM »

I finally watched The Happytime Murders, and got exactly what I was expecting from it... lots of cheezy humor and horny Muppets.  I'm satisfied!   emot_laughing

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nkCfws0jtVA&rel=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/nkCfws0jtVA&rel=1</a>

I'm... saddened that I couldn't find an animated GIF of the cow milking scene for you.  facepalm

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)
watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 707

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »

Bad Times at the El Royale, starring Jeff Bridges and Chris Hemsworth.

Different, but great 60's soul music soundtrack.
ToeinH2O
Ph.D in Perversity
Burnt at the stake

Fame 451

Member since 2008, former Mod, POY 2013, POM x3.

« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »

I’ve tried to watch several movies this week, but can’t make it more than ten minutes into one before I just turn it off.  I can still watch documentaries, but not cinematic fiction.  I guess I am a cynical asshole finally.

watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 707

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #292 on: June 04, 2019, 04:30:50 AM »

I agree with you, Toe. So many channels, so little content worth viewing.  Sports, an occasional movie and YouTube.  Rarely any commercial stuff.
ToeinH2O
Ph.D in Perversity
Burnt at the stake

Fame 451

« Reply #293 on: October 09, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »

Anyone seen Judy?  Thinking about going.  I’ll cut a hole in the bottom of the popcorn box for MJ. 

MintJulie
Version 9.2
Super Freak
Burnt at the stake

Fame 513

Rain is a good thing

« Reply #294 on: October 10, 2019, 03:57:29 AM »

Anyone seen Judy?  Thinking about going.  I’ll cut a hole in the bottom of the popcorn box for MJ. 

not yet but i will

Make sure your hand has a lot of butter coating on it and make it extra slippery

Bourbon is not the answer.
Bourbon is the question. 
"Yes" is the answer.
ToeinH2O
Ph.D in Perversity
Burnt at the stake

Fame 451

« Reply #295 on: October 10, 2019, 04:01:02 AM »

Make sure your hand has a lot of butter coating on it and make it extra slippery

emot_thdrool emot_thdrool emot_thdrool
galaxybounce
Freakishly Strange

Fame 456

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2019, 04:13:30 AM »

Went to see Joker and I have some mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it's really interesting for a studio like WB to make an adult character study based on a comic character while apparently spending a very healthy budget on advertising it. Joaquin Phoenix' performance is excellent in all aspects and this is a movie with clear themes that are worth thinking about after the credits roll. It's not a pleasant but forgettable popcorn flick, even though it's clearly aiming for that general audience.

On the other hand, it's derivative of other, better movies (not unlike another comic book movie, Logan, in that regard actually) and is so unsubtle with its themes that the main character literally has one of them smashed over his head in the first few minutes.

I recommend you watch Taxi Driver, the King of Comedy, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Fight Club, but if you already have then there are worse ways to spend a couple hours than watching Joker.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 04:32:01 AM by galaxybounce » Logged

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify" - Abraham Lincoln
ToeinH2O
Ph.D in Perversity
Burnt at the stake

Fame 451

« Reply #297 on: October 13, 2019, 05:00:08 AM »

I kind of have mixed feelings about today’s Hollywood in general.  My kids say that older people (like me) don’t go to movies anymore, so the studios are under pressure to turn out stuff for younger audiences, to make box office.  I agree, but there’s no way to change that trend, when most movies are cartoon adaptations that do nothing for people who read, who have a vocabulary, and who want plot and character development.

I have seen all the movies you mentioned.  I doubt I will ever see the Joker, even when it is available on Netflix in a few years.  I just have better ways to spend my time.
galaxybounce
Freakishly Strange

Fame 456

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #298 on: October 13, 2019, 05:44:32 AM »

I kind of have mixed feelings about today’s Hollywood in general.  My kids say that older people (like me) don’t go to movies anymore, so the studios are under pressure to turn out stuff for younger audiences, to make box office.  I agree, but there’s no way to change that trend, when most movies are cartoon adaptations that do nothing for people who read, who have a vocabulary, and who want plot and character development.

I have seen all the movies you mentioned.  I doubt I will ever see the Joker, even when it is available on Netflix in a few years.  I just have better ways to spend my time.

Hollywood is a business and always has been. Doesn't matter whether they're pumping out Westerns or superhero movies, it's all just crowd pleasing power fantasy. Some great movies go through Hollywood but by and large you're going to want to look outside of Hollywood or even (gasp) the English language for greatness. Fantastic movies are out there for those that care to look for them and there would be more of them if more people paid to see them. The options for filmmakers to deliver their work to an audience are numerous nowadays too. Lack of interest is fine, but if there are better things to do than watch movies now then there were definitely better things to do than watch movies when you were tied to seeing them at the local cinema.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify" - Abraham Lincoln
ToeinH2O
Ph.D in Perversity
Burnt at the stake

Fame 451

« Reply #299 on: October 13, 2019, 06:07:14 AM »

I agree 100%.

My biggest complaints are:

1.  Remakes.  Do we really need to reprocess the same script every 15-20 years?

2.  Sequels.  Okay, you had a decent film.  Now squeeze every dime out of your success by making three or four follow ups, until everyone is vomiting.  I don’t want to see Bridget Jones wearing depends.

3.  Cartoon and comic book movies.  Just.  Don’t.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: