Party of hate?

Gina Marie · 59246

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #100 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:49 AM
Hate manifests itself whenever people feel their way of life, as they know it, is threatened. It is a fear of the unknown.  A fear that their way of life is changing.  So they strike back the only way they know - by verbally accosting the people they blame. The wealthy use lawyers and lobbyists to keep the status quo.  The little people use hate tactics. I have said this before.  A party that thinks it can continue by just catering to a certain race or gender will not last long here in the United States as we become a more diverse people.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #101 on: February 18, 2013, 04:26:51 PM
Hate manifests itself whenever people feel their way of life, as they know it, is threatened. It is a fear of the unknown.  A fear that their way of life is changing.  So they strike back the only way they know - by verbally accosting the people they blame. The wealthy use lawyers and lobbyists to keep the status quo.  The little people use hate tactics. I have said this before.  A party that thinks it can continue by just catering to a certain race or gender will not last long here in the United States as we become a more diverse people.

Scapegoating and fear-mongering are indeed the tools of those who lack integrity, and there are politicians that fit into this group.

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +260/-2
  • A taste is a waste of time.
Reply #102 on: February 18, 2013, 05:16:22 PM
*Sigh* I've been holding off on replying to this for awhile, but here goes.

Everyone I know except my grandfather is a Democrat. Both of my parents were (are) hippies, and for years I walked the same line. Since then, I have studied the conservative ideaology like crazy to better understand what I dispute. I found I support a fiscally conservative agenda and absolutely categorically reject a socially conservative one.

There are a lot of problems with the republican party right now, including the FACT that they are becoming closely aligned with some crazies, who are cajoling them into becoming the party of hate. Just like in the Democratic party, the sane voices don't stand out so much, and the "team sports" aspect of congress means the saner ones don't always vote sane.

I'll not give a pass to those who didn't rebuke Rush Limbaugh and Todd Aiken for their sexist shit, but the worse problem is how the Republican leadership built the comittee on women's health issues: all men. The reason the Republicans are becoming the party of hate is that there is no leadership strong enough to get the train back on the tracks. Tons of Republicans are burying their faces in their hands when they see the deplorable behavior of the nuttier people in their party, but are ineffective at reprimanding the nuts because of primaries, lobbyists, and PACs.

A similar problem exists for the Dems, but it is spending-based, and not full of hateful rhetoric.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1375/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 11:55:48 PM
No hate here...

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 12:49:56 AM
The problem is politicians in office who are ideologues instead of policy experts. The former will vote against pragmatic solutions, the cut off your nose to spite your face syndrome), the latter vote for polcies that get the job of governing done with the most good for everyone.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +73/-0
  • Mulder, they've been here for a long, long time.
Reply #105 on: May 07, 2013, 03:31:49 AM
NRA did not support or endorse Obama bleeding targets.

The vendor call that model Rocky, and meant for it to resemble a Zombie. 

NRA asked for the sale of that model to stop after complaints that it looked like Obama. At first glance, I thought it was Gollum like.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/nra-convention-obama-target_n_3223158.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

No hate here...

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1375/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 07:31:27 AM
NRA did not support or endorse Obama bleeding targets.

Your source for this thought?

The vendor call that model Rocky, and meant for it to resemble a Zombie.

"Rocky" or "Barry" - both informal names of a black, zombie Barack.

They can deny all they like - the likeness is glaringly obvious. When a reporter asked the vendor if the likeness was intentional, he smiled and answered, "Let's just say I gave one to my father-in-law and he's a Republican".

NRA asked for the sale of that model to stop after complaints that it looked like Obama.

They took it off the table display, but continued to sell them from behind the table.

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #107 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:08 AM
Pretty sleazy, but any decent shooter prefers a bullseye to a silhouette anyway.

The clowns who bough those are evil, stupid knucle-draggers... the vendors have no soul, and it was no accident, a drunken child with bad eyes could see the resemblance to our President.

If I had to grudgingly respect the office with W in the White House, these shitheads should leave my country. I don't like Obama, but any creep who feels it is okay to shoot at a target designed to look like someone they disagree with should get the fuck out.

This is the type of shit that gets Dems in office. If the alternative is siding with the type of people who bought these targets, it looks like I'm going to have to vote Dem again. Stupid GOP, you lose me with crazies.

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +73/-0
  • Mulder, they've been here for a long, long time.
Reply #108 on: May 07, 2013, 10:55:43 AM
I included a source in my post, and there are others explaining the NRA asked to have the display removed. Yes, Rocky models are still for sale.

I agree bleeding targets is whacked. I don't think it looks like Obama, but I can see that it would to most people.

I don't agree with painting any party, or any faith, or non faith, or even the NRA with a hate label.

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #109 on: May 07, 2013, 03:22:50 PM
I saw that as well, but I took it to indicate that he didn't see the resemblance until he was told to look for it. I can understand that, the green skin could throw someone.

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #110 on: May 07, 2013, 04:52:44 PM
"....Stupid GOP, you lose me with crazies...."

Who were the last two GOP Presidential Nominee you voted for?

Landon
Wilkie
Dewey
Dewey
Eisenhower
Eisenhower
Nixon
Goldwater
Nixon
Nixon
Ford
Reagan
Reagan
Bush '41
Bush '41
Dole
Bush '43
Bush '43
McCain
Romney

None of the above?

Those "crazies" are just so persistent, spoils your plan every time?

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

snowm

Reply #111 on: May 07, 2013, 05:20:42 PM

I agree bleeding targets is whacked. I don't think it looks like Obama, but I can see that it would to most people.

So... You see the resemblance but you don't want to believe it was intentional? You literally just contradicted yourself there. It either looks like him or it doesn't.

I think she is saying she does not believe it was intentional on the part of the NRA. From the vendor's perspective it was completely intentional.

A sponsoring entity of a convention does not have the time to review every vendors' wares. I have been the tech monkey at many a large sized conventions, been there, seen the scope of production...

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #112 on: May 07, 2013, 08:33:32 PM
"....Stupid GOP, you lose me with crazies...."

Who were the last two GOP Presidential Nominee you voted for?

Landon
Wilkie
Dewey
Dewey
Eisenhower
Eisenhower
Nixon
Goldwater
Nixon
Nixon
Ford
Reagan
Reagan
Bush '41
Bush '41
Dole
Bush '43
Bush '43
McCain
Romney

None of the above?

Those "crazies" are just so persistent, spoils your plan every time?

I would have voted for Eisenhower, and possibly Dole. Bush '41 wasn't terrible, Reagan had his upsides and downsides, but I think I would have voted for him over Carter, anyway. Besides them, not too many.

The Dems have had mediocre to shitty presidents as well, but long-term, they have been FAR better on social issues, and about the same on deficit spending and fiscal responsibility. Plus, they aren't such crybabies that they have to chickenshit-veto absolutely everything their base doesn't love.

Rand Paul is a bit of a douche, but his veto was at least the real kind, where he had to run his mouth and risk his career for what he believed in. I don't like him much, but I respect him.

Offline DrWoody

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +6/-0
  • Gynoproctologist, Solaria, Outer Rim, 4th Quad, MW
Reply #113 on: May 07, 2013, 10:34:26 PM

I voted for Reagan twice, and Bush '41 once.  I did not get fed up with the GOP until I had worked for it, and in it, for a decade.  Just dirty, dirty shit going on all the time.

Dems are much better, but at least they *pretend* to care about the common man.  Today's GOP is just a bunch of howler monkeys who are not even house trained.  Don't even pretend to care about doing the right thing.  Scary to watch.  Even more scary to live under their rule.

I too, voted for Regan and Bush 41. I was convinced that I was doing good. Then Bush 43 came along. It took him to make me shake my head in complete embarrassment for the GOP. Every other candidate the party has produced since Bush 43 is as equally, or more, moronic and detached from reality. Not only is it embarrassing for the party and the nation, but it is equally scary. Where are all the GOP candidates that should have some semblance of a footing in common sense? Are there none out there?

Upon returning home after a lifelong absence, you may find that the journey back was more impressionable than the arrival, and those you met along the way have already shaped your future.

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #114 on: May 07, 2013, 10:48:13 PM
John Huntsman, but he couldn't get through the batshit primary. I wouldn't call him great by any measure, but the best they had to offer.

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #115 on: May 08, 2013, 12:34:25 AM
"None" as to Repub's you ever voted for President.

Not one Republican since you have been voting was ever worthy of your vote. And the following Democrats met/meet your standards for high office:

Michael Dukakis/Lloyd Benson
Bill Clinton/Al Gore
Bill Clinton/Al Gore
Al Gore/Joe Lieberman
John Kerry/John Edwards
Barack Obama/Joe Biden
Barack Obama/Joe Biden
Joe Biden/Nancy Pelosi... or some other... tba

Seems "the crazies" in 2013 have little to do with your vote, nothing for R's to fix, short of abandon all their own beliefs and principles wholesale. Crazies or not, you are not going to vote Republican. You think, maybe, wishful, if there ever were a RINO, you might.

President Obama's Ambassador to China, John Huntsman, is not at all a 'conservative' whatsoever, and so was never going to get a R nomination... he is a left wing media favorite, spent zip on his race, and was against anything Republican in nature, against the entire platform, and the beliefs of any constituency at all in the R Primaries. Nice hair.

The last Republican Candidate who was a left wing media favorite and RINO, John McCain, until he actually ran for President, then he was dropped like the lightweight he always has been. Nice guy, not conservative at all, but good at retaining his seat. Only Sara Palin's endorsement saved his seat in his last Senate election, so we still have him on the Sunday shows, undercutting any party position, or any electable Republican, to the delight of the left wing media, who invite him on those shows for that reason.

Mitt Romney tried to skate by on Obama's faults, without telling anyone why he should be elected, other than to counter some Obama comment. He had Barry on the ropes, and just dropped the ball, electing to allow himself to be bullied in the second debate, when he knew he was right... was robbed, but he dropped the ball, backed off, hoping the press would suddenly like him better. Not going to happen, but with no conservative backbone, never stood a chance. Sad. And so for the moment, we have what we have.

I am not saying I agreed and supported fully many of the Republican Nominees either, but the reason was not because MSNBC quoted some 'yahoo' who whipped up a target, or made some insensitive comments. Sadly, the people in front of the R Party need to go, and be primaried out, to get some leadership that is electable, running for President but more occupying Committee Chairs, and Ranking Members positions, to drag this Congress forward, while being able to speak English plainly, and explain the party votes and positions and principles to our low information voters, and high interest voters alike.

[/quote]
[/size][/color]

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:45:05 AM by joan1984 »

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #116 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:33 AM
Ideologues need not apply.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #117 on: May 08, 2013, 12:50:03 AM
Ideologues need not apply.

Hahahahaha...

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #118 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:47 AM
"None" as to Repub's you ever voted for President.

They have nominated shitty candidates. I voted Libertarian, as Republicans on the national level have been chumps. I also voted Obama in 2008, but he has since disappointed me.

Not one Republican since you have been voting was ever worthy of your vote.

Wrong. I've voted Republican in statewide office. Don't assume you know me, it is rather insulting.

And the following Democrats met/meet your standards for high office:

Michael Dukakis/Lloyd Benson

Where did you get that idea? Wasn't in my post...

Bill Clinton/Al Gore

Once, at least. The Bosnian conflict gave me pause, though.

Al Gore/Joe Lieberman

As opposed to Bush/Cheney? I would have gladly, but I voted for Ralph Nader, confident California would go Dem anyway.

John Kerry/John Edwards

Kerry: war hero. Bush: trained chimp with a rich family and lots of connections to evil assholes.

Barack Obama/Joe Biden

Once. He seemed like he might keep his word on Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, plus he promised to end pork in legislation. He sucks, but the Republicans need to stop nominating shitheads.

Barack Obama/Joe Biden

Try Gary Johnson. He was not the man I wanted, but neither was Obama, and I was sure Obama would win over Mr. flip-flop 47% Romneycare.

Joe Biden/Nancy Pelosi... or some other... tba

Hahaha, do I sense some trepidation over a certain unmentioned name, a name that polls better than the entire Republican party, or any individual Republican...

Seems "the crazies" in 2013 have little to do with your vote, nothing for R's to fix, short of abandon all their own beliefs and principles wholesale. Crazies or not, you are not going to vote Republican. You think, maybe, wishful, if there ever were a RINO, you might.

You obviously didn't know the Republican party used to be pro-choice... RINO should stand for Republicans: Intelligent about a National Objective. No republican will ever win the nation with that losy platform. They could nominate a solid gold Jesus, and he would havve lost to Obama because their platform recently has sucked. Social conservatives and Know-Nothing dipshits... that's consevatism? Fuck it, I'll be liberal then.

President Obama's Ambassador to China, John Huntsman, is not at all a 'conservative' whatsoever, and so was never going to get a R nomination... he is a left wing media favorite, spent zip on his race, and was against anything Republican in nature, against the entire platform, and the beliefs of any constituency at all in the R Primaries. Nice hair.

Again, what is conservative about telling people what they can and cannot do with their bodies? You complain about 'big government,' but W fucked the country's finances like a cheap Tijuana whore. Nominate someone who knows fiscal responsibility, REAL fiscal responsibility, then ask me why I didn't vote for them.

The last Republican Candidate who was a left wing media favorite and RINO, John McCain, until he actually ran for President, then he was dropped like the lightweight he always has been. Nice guy, not conservative at all, but good at retaining his seat. Only Sara Palin's endorsement saved his seat in his last Senate election, so we still have him on the Sunday shows, undercutting any party position, or any electable Republican, to the delight of the left wing media, who invite him on those shows for that reason.

Hahaha, it looks like I'm wasting my time here...

Mitt Romney tried to skate by on Obama's faults, without telling anyone why he should be elected, other than to counter some Obama comment. He had Barry on the ropes, and just dropped the ball, electing to allow himself to be bullied in the second debate, when he knew he was right... was robbed, but he dropped the ball, backed off, hoping the press would suddenly like him better. Not going to happen, but with no conservative backbone, never stood a chance. Sad. And so for the moment, we have what we have.

You mean you like the inventor of Obamacare? I thought you were supposed to be conservative... Romney was a flip-flopping coward. Hell, even his money hid. Slimy little worm couldn't buy the office, but he's still got your love...

I am not saying I agreed and supported fully many of the Republican Nominees either, but the reason was not because MSNBC quoted some 'yahoo' who whipped up a target, or made some insensitive comments. Sadly, the people in front of the R Party need to go, and be primaried out, to get some leadership that is electable, running for President but more occupying Committee Chairs, and Ranking Members positions, to drag this Congress forward, while being able to speak English plainly, and explain the party votes and positions and principles to our low information voters, and high interest voters alike.

[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

Good luck with that. Nationally, your party's policies poll for shit. I'd like to see true fiscal conservatism, social liberalism, and for once, just for once, responsible spending. No recent Republican has been even close to a conservative, including the Almighty Reagan. Reagan was a fiscal liberal, but he fooled a nation into thinking he had worked some magic. His mystique still lives on, as do the lies our nation tells about him.

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #119 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:16 AM
RINO = Republican In Name Only. The ones who vote Republican when it does not matter, but when it does matter, sell their votes to the Sunday shows, waffle around, muddy the water, then waffle. Better to not have them at all. Must count as a Dem vote, always, unless is some nonissue, or time for their election, to avoid a primary.

Trying to imagine a Democrat you have not, or will not vote for... Your comment about "crazies" making you vote some other way than GOP for President is what my comments addressed. As to State legislators or Governors, I would expect you to vote your interests. No slight intended. If I wish to insult you, it will be very clear.

Hanging onto irrelevant meanings for words, in hopes of what... comforting yourself that this is not your father's Oldsmobile or whatever is nonsense, as is voting for 'sure to lose' candidates, if you care at all about the subsequent years a politician may remain in office, and the damage the winner, and winning party can do in the short term.

Voting against a politician makes a great deal of sense, more than voting a sure loser, or party, and holding your nose when whatever happens happens. Just my opinion, Nothing more, nothing less, but please don't manufacture reasons to cover your own voting choices, as if the alternative does not matter.

There is lots wrong with out current politicians, both major parties, and some of the others as well, and we seem to be getting nowhere very quickly.