Party of hate?

Gina Marie · 59667

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1608/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #320 on: August 08, 2014, 07:29:00 PM
Actually, Gia, this supports Watcher to a tee.

Thank you. Moderation is the only way this country will get back on track.  But that is okay.  I kind of like when Gia singles me out.  8)

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #321 on: August 08, 2014, 08:00:47 PM
Considering that minimum wage is now below the same level 10 years ago, while executive compensation has increased by some 100% over the same period, I think that it's fairly obvious that the compensation is skewed to give more money to those who already have more money, and screw the people who actually fuel the economy.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3086/-41
Reply #322 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:09 PM

While I have no doubt that excesses and foul dealings are to be found in the Democratic party, they are not exclusively tied to only a wealthy elite.

That is doubly untrue. "Excesses and foul dealings" are found equally in both parties, as is relying on the contributions of wealthy backers. Nor is the GOP "exclusively tied to only a wealthy elite." Even without the modifiers ("exclusively," "only"), it's still untrue.

The current Republican party is NOT the party of Lincoln. That went away a long time ago.

Nor is the current Democratic party the party of Lincoln, not by a long shot.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-52
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
Reply #323 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:26 PM
Considering that minimum wage is now below the same level 10 years ago, while executive compensation has increased by some 100% over the same period, I think that it's fairly obvious that the compensation is skewed to give more money to those who already have more money, and screw the people who actually fuel the economy.

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #324 on: August 08, 2014, 08:07:16 PM

While I have no doubt that excesses and foul dealings are to be found in the Democratic party, they are not exclusively tied to only a wealthy elite.

That is doubly untrue. "Excesses and foul dealings" are found equally in both parties, as is relying on the contributions of wealthy backers. Nor is the GOP "exclusively tied to only a wealthy elite." Even without the modifiers ("exclusively," "only"), it's still untrue.

The current Republican party is NOT the party of Lincoln. That went away a long time ago.

No they aren't. However, given the party platforms, I know which one supports me and my interests, and the interests of a great number of people. I do not tie my voting to racial or religious bias, as, unfortunately, so many in this country do.

I attempt to make an informed and considered choice when I vote to support a particular candidate from a particular party. As it currently stands, I don't think I could vote for any candidate under the Republican banner, simply because they are supported by the Tea Party, which in my view are only a few short steps from authoritarians, or parden my Godfrey, fascists.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #325 on: August 08, 2014, 08:28:31 PM

No they aren't. However, given the party platforms, I know which one supports me and my interests, and the interests of a great number of people. I do not tie my voting to racial or religious bias, as, unfortunately, so many in this country do.

Just playing the devil's advocate for a moment, isn't voting for the candidate that "supports me and my interests," rather than the well-being of the country as a whole, a very selfish way of voting? This is not a personal criticism, since I often do the same thing myself -- and demanding completely altruistic voting misses a very important point.

I attempt to make an informed and considered choice when I vote to support a particular candidate from a particular party. As it currently stands, I don't think I could vote for any candidate under the Republican banner, simply because they are supported by the Tea Party, which in my view are only a few short steps from authoritarians, or pardon my Godfrey, fascists.

I do the same thing. I vote in every election, including the primaries, and I do my homework beforehand, usually stepping into the voting booth with a piece of paper in my pocket.

I would never not vote for a candidate exclusively because her or she is a Republican, but, like you, I feel comfortable not voting for a candidate that is backed by the Tea Party. I disagree with the TP both in theory and in practice.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #326 on: August 08, 2014, 09:23:18 PM
I try to separate my purely self-interest desires from my well-being desires. The former would be closer to the view of voting for bread and circuses, the latter being closer to the view of voting for what benefits us all in general. So when I look to see who supports me and my interests, I TRY to hold true to the well-being test. So yes, my pocketbook is both as I see it. I am in the realm of those whose purchases fuel the economy. The larger pocketbooks, while containing more money/wealth, etc, do not contribute as much to the economy since they are fewer in number and as such don't purchase as much or as often as the rest of us.

The old saw about selling at a loss but making a profit on volume is what is important. While that is factious it does illustrate that profit is driven by selling volume, otherwise cost rises.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #327 on: August 08, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

I do the same thing. I vote in every election, including the primaries, and I do my homework beforehand, usually stepping into the voting booth with a piece of paper in my pocket.

I would never not vote for a candidate exclusively because her or she is a Republican, but, like you, I feel comfortable not voting for a candidate that is backed by the Tea Party. I disagree with the TP both in theory and in practice.

I wish more voters did what you do. Sadly, many vote for a candidate because of their looks or all the negative campaigns.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #328 on: August 08, 2014, 10:10:36 PM

I wish more voters did what you do. Sadly, many vote for a candidate because of their looks or all the negative campaigns.

I'm not trying to contradict you, but do you really think, in this day and age, that people vote for candidates based on their "looks"? If you mean physical appearance (handsome, pretty, etc.) I'd doubt that happens in significant numbers.

After all, Ashley Judd, who makes my heart melt, didn't even make it to the primary. But that's probably a bad example.  ;)

I agree with you about negative campaigning, or the introduction of the "fear factor." But, historically speaking, negative campaigning is nowhere near what it was 100-150 years ago, when partisan newspapers would print outright lies about opposing candidates.

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1375/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #329 on: August 09, 2014, 12:12:19 AM
But, historically speaking, negative campaigning is nowhere near what it was 100-150 years ago, when partisan newspapers would print outright lies about opposing candidates.

Are you being facetious? Have you seen Fox or MSNBC in the last year?

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #330 on: August 09, 2014, 12:43:31 AM
But, historically speaking, negative campaigning is nowhere near what it was 100-150 years ago, when partisan newspapers would print outright lies about opposing candidates.

You need to take a trip to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL.  They have a room dedicated to campaign posters that slandered Abraham Lincoln every which way, none that could be published in today's climate.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #331 on: August 09, 2014, 09:52:42 PM

I'm perfectly serious. Keep in mind that 100 years ago newspaper readership was 4-5 times that of a show on Fox or MSNBC (or Huffpost), and editors and reporters would have found the concept of being unbiased or balanced laughable in the extreme.

Candidates -- including presidential candidates -- were accused of every crime imaginable. Suggesting that Obama might be foreign-born is a far cry from accusing a candidate, with trumped-up or made-up evidence, of Rape (Cleveland), murder (Jackson), bigamy (Jackson again), felonious assault (Polk), being half human and half baboon (Lincoln), financial crimes (Hayes), adultery (Harding), and on and on.

So, speaking seriously, negative campaigning and mudslinging today pales in comparison with that of 100-150 years ago.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #332 on: August 09, 2014, 10:30:22 PM
That is why the de-evolution by some is considered particularly sad.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #333 on: October 25, 2014, 06:43:54 AM
Yet another wing-nut, hate filled moment.

Louie Gohmert worries that gay soldiers “getting massages all day” leave us “vulnerable to terrorism”

A discussion of the U.S. military's campaign against Ebola takes a very strange turn VIDEO

Texas congressman Louie Gohmert has offered us plenty of hot takes during his decade in Congress, weighing in on everything from “terror babies” to how “criminal aliens” and Ebola  are part of a Democratic war on women. This week, Gohmert had further insight to offer, warning that America’s Achilles heel in the fight against terrorism could be gay soldiers “getting massages all day.”

On Tuesday, Gohmert appeared on the Point of View radio show to discuss the deployment of U.S. military forces to west Africa to combat the Ebola outbreak in the region. And since he was on the topic of the military, Gohmert decided it was as good a time as any to blast open military service by gay soldiers.

“I’ve had people say, ‘Hey, you know, there’s nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks,’” the Tea Party favorite said. “Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle.”

But, Gohmert added, the U.S. confronts an entirely different situation today — and allowing gay soldiers to serve openly means that “[y]ou are ultimately vulnerable to terrorism.”

“But you know what, it’s a different kind of fighting, it’s a different kind of war and if you’re sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you’re not going to last very long,” Gohmert said. “It’s guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that’s what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did … as people have said, ‘Louie, you have got to understand, you don’t even know your history.’ Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It’s not a good idea.”

For the record, a study by the respected Palm Center found that the repeal of the military’s anti-gay Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy hasn’t harmed military cohesion, readiness, or morale. But who are you going to believe — pointy-headed experts or that fearless prophet of truth from Tyler, Texas?

Watch Gohmert delve into Greek history below, via Right Wing Watch:

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/24/louie_gohmert_worries_that_gay_soldiers_getting_massages_all_day_leave_us_vulnerable_to_terrorism/

Offline Gina Marie

• Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #334 on: March 12, 2015, 02:21:09 PM

Offline Gina Marie

• Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #335 on: March 12, 2015, 02:31:13 PM

I know he said it two and a half years ago, but it still rings true today...

And here is the bottom line question: If a man hates Blacks, hates Hispanics, and hates Muslims, which party do you think he would identify with and vote for?

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #336 on: March 12, 2015, 02:40:07 PM
Colin Powell, and his ilk, have made it quiet clear since 2008 that they are no longer supporters of the Republican Party, and this is only more carping from Democrats and Democrat Supporters.

I know he said it two and a half years ago, but it still rings true today...

And here is the bottom line question: If a man hates Blacks, hates Hispanics, and hates Muslims, which party do you think he would identify with and vote for?

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

Offline Gina Marie

• Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #337 on: March 12, 2015, 04:14:12 PM
Colin Powell, and his ilk, have made it quiet clear since 2008 that they are no longer supporters of the Republican Party, and this is only more carping from Democrats and Democrat Supporters.

His ilk? Carping? There is plenty of petty faultfinding from both parties, but in this case... No.

This is another case of Republicans speaking out against reprehensible behaviour within their own political party, and then being branded by their peers as RINO's for not being "extreme enough". It has been the scourge of the GOP in the last couple decades.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #338 on: March 12, 2015, 11:14:28 PM
Kind of like a gentler and kinder version of The Night of The Long Knives.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #339 on: March 12, 2015, 11:23:11 PM

Kind of like a gentler and kinder version of The Night of The Long Knives.

Nice Godwinism...