KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

What MADE your day today?

Well Behaved Lady · 258686

wayne3218

Reply #2580 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:18 AM
Being interrupted while having a shower and answering my door naked to a couple of Jehovah Witnesses, who quickly apologised for interrupting me and ran away.
I don’t think they will be return to see me anytime soon.

Online MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3088/-41
Reply #2581 on: February 12, 2019, 03:01:04 PM

Today, February 12, is Abraham Lincoln's birthday, always a big day for we Illinoisans.

Fun Lincoln fact of the day: Lincoln didn't like his first name, and he hated the nickname "Abe."

When signing an official document, he would sign his full name:

Otherwise, he would omit his first name and just use the initial:

His family and friends called him, simply, Lincoln. And he and his wife Mary referred to each other as "Father" and "Mother."

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1610/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2582 on: February 12, 2019, 03:38:09 PM
Another fact is that all photos of Lincoln without a beard predate his Presidency. All photos of him with a beard is when he was President.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1762/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #2583 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:17 PM

Today, February 12, is Abraham Lincoln's birthday, always a big day for we Illinoisans.

I had forgotten about your love of A. Lincoln.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Online MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #2584 on: February 12, 2019, 05:06:13 PM

Another fact is that all photos of Lincoln without a beard predate his Presidency. All photos of him with a beard is when he was President.

Close, but not exactly.

In October 1860, an 11-year-old girl from upstate New York named Grace Bedell wrote a letter to then-candidate Lincoln, urging him to grow a beard. As she put it in her letter:

"I have yet got four brothers and part of them will vote for you any way and if you let your whiskers grow I will try and get the rest of them to vote for you you would look a great deal better for your face is so thin. All the ladies like whiskers and they would tease their husbands to vote for you and then you would be President."

A few days later, Lincoln wrote back to her, saying:

"As to the whiskers, having never worn any, do you not think people would call it a silly affectation if I were to begin it now?"

Lincoln obviously took her advice to heart, and immediately began growing a beard. our months later, after Lincoln was elected, Lincoln began a long train journey from his hometown in Illinois to Washington DC for his inauguration. The train passed through Grace Bedell's home town on the way, and when it arrived in her town, Lincoln stepped down from the train, ignored the local dignitaries and hundreds of others waiting at the station, and immediately asked if Grace was there. She was, and Lincoln gave her a big hug and engaged with her in conversation for several minutes, while everyone else had to wait. Years later, Bedell recalled her famous meeting with the newly-elected president:

"He climbed down and sat down with me on the edge of the station platform," she recalled. "'Gracie,' he said, 'look at my whiskers. I have been growing them for you.' Then he kissed me. I never saw him again."

So, technically, Lincoln began the beard before being elected, and there are pictures of a bearded Lincoln pre-election. The picture I posed above was taken in August 1960.

This picture was taken in Chicago a few days before the election:

This one was taken in Springfield in January 1861, after the election, but before Lincoln left for Washington DC to be inaugurated:

This one was taken in Springfield in February 1861, just before Lincoln's departure for the nation's capital:

Here's Lincoln in Philadephia en route to Washington, taken on February 22, 1861. Lincoln is giving a speech celebrating Washington's birthday:

This is one of a series of five pictures taken by Alexander Gardener at Mathew Brady's studio in Washington DC on February 24, 1861, about a week before the election:

Finally, this picture was taken in late March or early April 1861, making it the first photograph of Lincoln as president:

Remington555

Reply #2585 on: February 13, 2019, 01:35:57 PM

Is there such a thing as a geography nazi?  :emot_laughing:

In the interest of full disclosure, Mr. Lincoln was a Kentuckian by birth, the proverbial (and actual) log cabin located in Hodgenville, Kentucky.

The Lincoln family moved to Indiana when he was seven. There, at the age of nine, Abe lost his mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln. Ten years later in 1828, his older sister Sarah died at the age of 21.

A year after Nancy Lincoln died, Thomas Lincoln married his second wife, Sarah Bush Johnson Lincoln, who had three children of her own.  Sarah Lincoln proved to be a kind and loving stepmother, making the two families into one. She brought with her many books, feeding Abe’s greatest pleasure.

After 14-years in Indiana, Abe's family moved to Illinois when he was 21-years old, and he was officially an Illinoisan for the remainder of his life.

Remmy

PS: Abraham Lincoln is sometimes credited with being the first Republican (with a capital R) president to be elected.

PPS: Here's an image of a statue in Grace Bedell's hometown of Westfield, New York.

Online MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #2586 on: February 13, 2019, 03:05:58 PM

Is there such a thing as a geography nazi?  :emot_laughing:

In the interest of full disclosure, Mr. Lincoln was a Kentuckian by birth, the proverbial (and actual) log cabin located in Hodgenville, Kentucky.

The Lincoln family moved to Indiana when he was seven. There, at the age of nine, Abe lost his mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln. Ten years later in 1828, his older sister Sarah died at the age of 21.

A year after Nancy Lincoln died, Thomas Lincoln married his second wife, Sarah Bush Johnson Lincoln, who had three children of her own.  Sarah Lincoln proved to be a kind and loving stepmother, making the two families into one. She brought with her many books, feeding Abe’s greatest pleasure.

After 14-years in Indiana, Abe's family moved to Illinois when he was 21-years old, and he was officially an Illinoisan for the remainder of his life.

Remmy

PS: Abraham Lincoln is sometimes credited with being the first Republican (with a capital R) president to be elected.

PPS: Here's an image of a statue in Grace Bedell's hometown of Westfield, New York.

Thanks for the info!

The log cabin in Hodgenville, Kentucky is not the actual cabin where Lincoln was born. It's not even certain it stands on the location where he was born. The National Park Service, which runs the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Park describes the cabin as "symbolic." It was built in 1895 -- close to 90 years after Lincoln was born.

After Nancy Hanks Lincoln died in 1818, Lincoln's father, Thomas, left his children at home and traveled to Elizabethtown, KY to visit Sarah Bush Johnson, whom he had known since childhood. Unbeknownst to children back home, Thomas's visit to Sarah was a business transaction: He was a widower with children, and she was a widow with children, and their marriage was agreed upon for purely practical motives. Thomas then returned to Indiana with his new wife and three stepchildren.

Sarah Bush Johnson Lincoln was indeed a second mother to the future president, and they shared a very affectionate bond. Sarah would outlive her famous stepson, passing away in April 1869, four years almost to the day after Lincoln was murdered.

P.S. Lincoln isn't "sometime credited" with being the first Republican president; he WAS the first Republican president. The Republican Party was founded in 1854, and it offered its first presidential candidate, John C. Fremont, in the 1856 election. Lincoln wsa the Republican nominee in the 1860 election.

_priapism

Reply #2587 on: February 13, 2019, 05:05:07 PM
Had this forwarded to me yesterday.  Made me appreciate Lincoln even more:

Between 400 and 800 settlers were killed in the the Great Sioux Uprising (today called the “Dakota-U.S. Conflict"), and the United States Army pursued and captured the perpetrators.  A military commission tried and convicted 303 Dakota warriors for the massacre. The military commanders wanted to begin the executions immediately, but the sentences required presidential review.

General Pope telegraphed the names of the condemned to Lincoln. Lincoln responded three days later, asking Pope to send “the full and complete record of these convictions” and to identify “the more guilty and influential of the culprits.” General Pope grudgingly complied but said, “The only distinction between the culprits is as to which of them murdered most people or violated most young girls. All of them are guilty of these things in more or less degree." 

After reviewing the available records from the proceedings, Lincoln allowed only 38 of the 303 to be executed. He did not participate in the trials, only in the review for the purpose of granting a stay of execution to the majority of those found guilty.  The truth is that the Army wanted to immediately kill all 303 of the Dakota warriors on the spot, and, had it not been for President Lincoln, it is likely that 303 would have died as opposed to the 38 who committed the most heinous atrocities.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1319/-3
Reply #2588 on: February 13, 2019, 07:12:33 PM
There were 37 hung at the end. One was cleared after several settlers told how he helped his them, including a minister.

Hundreds of others were interned and many died that winter from the cold and lack of food.

It's a dark time in our state's history. There were many settlers killed and raped at the start of the up rising before the army could move in.

It was only a small group of Dakota's involved, but the whole tribe ended up being punished.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:17:27 PM by msslave »

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

_priapism

Reply #2589 on: February 13, 2019, 07:35:33 PM
There were 37 hung at the end. One was cleared after several settlers told how he helped his them, including a minister.

Hundreds of others were interned and many died that winter from the cold and lack of food.

It's a dark time in our state's history. There were many settlers killed and raped at the start of the up rising before the army could move in.

It was only a small group of Dakota's involved, but the whole tribe ended up being punished.

I understand and agree.  I’m just pointing out that here is a President who took the time to investigate each case *personally* and commuted the death sentence for 87% of those convicted.  I’m sure President “Andrew Jackson” Trump would have done the same.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1610/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2590 on: February 13, 2019, 07:46:06 PM
Thanks, MissB, for the photos of Lincoln. WOO!

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Remington555

Reply #2591 on: February 14, 2019, 12:51:47 PM

In my mind, one of the most tragic things about the Civil War isn't usually taught in history books--the career derailment of Robert E. Lee.

Had it not been for the war, General Lee very well may have become one of our presidents, and probably would have been a very good one. Better than Grant, at any rate.

Like MissBarbara, I have been an admirer of Abraham Lincoln all my life. The depths of his integrity and compassion are sorely missing in today's society.

One of my favorite references to President Lincoln is in a Johnny Horton song, titled Johnny Reb. The song itself is a tribute to the Confederate spirit. The reference to Abe may be apocryphal, but one of the verses says:

When Honest Abe heard the news about your fall,
       The folks thought he'd call, a great victory ball,
       But he asked the band to play the song, Dixie,
       For you Johnny Reb, and all that you believe.

Remmy

Offline e_monster

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +8/-0
Reply #2592 on: February 14, 2019, 02:40:11 PM
While touring London some years ago I was astonished to encounter a fine statue commemorating Lincoln near Westminster Abbey and the House of Parliament..

ID card? I don't need no stinkin' ID card. I already know who I am.

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1609/-3
Reply #2593 on: February 14, 2019, 03:21:40 PM
While touring London some years ago I was astonished to encounter a fine statue commemorating Lincoln near Westminster Abbey and the House of Parliament..

It is in Parliament Square.

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #2594 on: February 14, 2019, 03:40:32 PM
Here's Abe on Mt. Rushmore.  Note the eyes...the sculptor wanted to capture the hurt he must have felt from the horrors of the Civil War.  I find in remarkable, especially considering the size of the carving done with dynamite and jack hammers.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1762/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #2595 on: February 14, 2019, 04:49:51 PM
Here's Abe on Mt. Rushmore. 

I've wanted to see this for the last 25 years.   Still haven't.  :(

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #2596 on: February 14, 2019, 05:39:22 PM

The whole Black Hills area is magical. Spring is best before kids get out of school and families invade.

Pack your bags!

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #2597 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09:27 PM

The whole Black Hills area is magical. Spring is best before kids get out of school and families invade.

Pack your bags!

The Blacks Hills are magical; not as imposing as the Rockies but uniquely wonderful.  I was there for a few days in Oct 2016.  I did an overnight hike in the Black Elk Wilderness Area that included summiting Harney Peak, the highest point in the state.  And the Badlands are one of my favorite places in the world.

I just did a drive by on Mt. Rushmore that trip having been there as a kid.  They wanted an ungodly amount of money just to park.

I like the area enough, I’d consider retiring there.

IdleBoast

Reply #2598 on: February 14, 2019, 09:23:49 PM
A rude Valentine from somebody I have never met...

_priapism

Reply #2599 on: February 14, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
A rude Valentine from somebody I have never met...

Details...