Good Guy/Gal With A Gun

joan1984 · 30735

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #780 on: February 18, 2020, 02:51:13 AM
You can holster your weapon Gunner. You scared all them away.

Oh yeah, haha

He’s been woefully checking this thread all day for more posts every time I look in on the site today.  Some can’t help themselves and keep feeding the trolls, but it gets old rather quickly for me.

There, he has something else to reply to after waiting all day, but that’s it young man.  It’s cold turkey for you.

Offline Gunnerman19

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +11/-22
Reply #781 on: February 18, 2020, 05:36:29 AM
Haha glad you are checking up on me Jed. Would think such a fine specimen of a man like yourself would have better things to do. You are correct this website has been up all day on my phone as well as a few others like Fox News hahaha. “Cold turkey” ? Are you threatening me with a good time here. You mean I don’t have to listen to more nonsense from dirty ass libs that choose to not support the vomit they spew...oh darn it. How many times is this now that you and others have said they won’t comment anymore??...because damn that seems to be what you guys are best at which is saying things you can’t follow through with.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #782 on: February 20, 2020, 01:41:35 AM
Does Gun Ownership Really Make You Safer? Research Says No
Keeping a gun in your home makes you more likely to be a victim of crime, homicide or suicide.
Danielle Venton
Oct 5, 2017

It’s a common claim among gun advocates that firearm ownership makes people safer. Research into gun violence, however, points in the opposite direction. Science writer Melinda Wenner Moyer recently examined the evidence surrounding gun ownership and safety for the October issue of "Scientific American" and spoke about her findings with KQED.

KQED: There's this very common belief that people are safer if they own a gun or if they have a gun in their home, and you dug into the evidence. Tell us what did you find?

Melinda Wenner Moyer: There's a lot of different ways to look at this question, which is kind of a central claim made by the gun lobby that more guns in the hands of good guys will keep you safer. But when you look at the question from a lot of different ways, it kind of all comes out the same: which is that, no, owning a gun, keeping a gun in your home, carrying a gun, none of those seemed to make you safer.

KQED: How strong is this research? It seems like studies that are about gun violence come in for a lot of scrutiny, especially when people don't like the outcome.

Moyer: Actually there hasn't been as much research as we would like. That's in part due to the NRA [National Rifle Association] and the gun lobby. There was a lot political pressure put on Congress by the NRA to tighten the rein on the CDC [Centers For Disease Control and Prevention], which funds a lot of gun research. And in the '90s, they actually passed a rider in the CDC's funding bill that said that the CDC can't fund any research that promotes gun control. And the CDC basically interpreted that as if we're do more gun research, we might get defunded. They've been really scared and they haven't been funding really any gun research. As a result of that, there isn't as much research as we would like, but there's still been a lot. And some gun researchers actually have been using their own money to fund studies, because this is a hugely important question.

The studies have been done in a lot of different ways to try to really get at the truth. And largely — there's been more than 30 studies — they pretty much all point in the same direction. There's a few outliers, a few studies that don't confirm this, but when you take all of the research together, there is enough to really make a clear conclusion here.

KQED: Talk about some of those conclusions.

Moyer: There's been research showing that if you keep a gun in your home, that doesn't actually reduce your risk of gun violence. It actually makes you more likely to be a victim of crime or homicide or suicide. There's also been research looking at concealed carry rates. As those have gone up in some states, have there been drops in crime and in violence? And they found largely, no. There's been some research by some controversial researchers that points to possibly, yes. But it's really largely been refuted in recent years. And then there's really the central question of, if guns are protective then that implies that Americans are using the guns for self defense all the time. And the research there also suggests that actually guns are used for self defense in less than 1 percent of all crimes that occur in the presence of a victim. People aren't really getting the chance to use their guns for protection anyway.

KQED: Gun ownership doesn't make us more safe. Does it make us less safe?

Moyer: Yes. That is what the research largely suggests. It makes us less safe.

KQED: What accounts for that? Is that because if there's a gun around, then I'm more likely use it to hurt myself or hurt another person?

Moyer: Well, certainly the suicide becomes much more likely and much more, unfortunately, sort of successful when you own a gun. But really scientists are trying to figure out exactly why this is. It could be that when you own a gun you might take a few more risks, you might go to places you might not otherwise go without your gun. You might sort of end up putting yourself in riskier situations that put you ironically more at risk for crime and violence. There could be a lot of different reasons here, and it's really hard to tease out and that's one of the reasons we need more or better research to really understand what's going on.

KQED: In the piece you wrote, you talk about firing a gun. Can you describe that feeling?

Moyer: Yes. It was the first time I've ever fired a gun, and it was terrifying at first. And then, after I shot this zombie target, I just felt this really strong sense of exhilaration and confidence. Like, 'Wow, I can't believe I just shot a hole right next to this zombie's eye.' And in that moment, I kind of understood this belief that guns keep you safer. You're holding this incredibly powerful tool. It makes sense that it would make you feel like nobody can hurt you. But, unfortunately, it seems like that's not the case.

KQED: You spoke to a lot of gun owners for this piece. What were some common threads?

Moyer: There seems to be a really strong belief that, sort of a logic based belief,  that well of course carrying a gun is going to keep you safer, because if you're going to find yourself in a scary situation you've got your gun. Or maybe somebody will see your gun and then not try anything, not try to make you a victim of crime. There's just this very pervasive deep belief that guns keep you safer. And it seemed as though data and science didn't really matter. Sometimes I would bring up, well, there are a lot of studies that actually suggest that guns don't keep you safer. And they would say, well, that just doesn't make sense. It's like the logic is more important to them than the data.

Moyer: You also found some beliefs that were not as entrenched as the gun lobby suspected.

Moyer: I think the NRA sends this message that everybody who has a gun is uniform and rejecting background checks or not wanting any gun control. And there's been actually a lot of surveys suggesting that people who own guns, people who are NRA members, don't have necessarily these extreme views. They're in support of a lot of gun legislation including background checks. It's just not as extreme as the NRA makes it out to be.

KQED: What did you find most interesting in reporting this article?

Moyer: I was surprised by how willing everyone was to talk to me knowing that I was investigating this question. I found people were really happy to open up and talk about how they felt about guns. And I was actually surprised that a lot of the opinions of people who I talked who were gun owners and who very sort of pro gun. They were a lot more measured than I expected. There weren't a lot of really extreme opinions. I talked to an owner of a gun shop. He said, 'Gosh, I think the NRA has gone too far. I don't think we should all be carrying guns.' This is a guy who makes his living selling guns.

https://www.kqed.org/science/1916209/does-gun-ownership-really-make-you-safer-research-says-no

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #783 on: February 20, 2020, 02:20:33 AM
Cool website to help with gun research. It indicates that in 2019 there were 1,547 incidents of defensive use of a gun, while unintentional shootings counted 1,837, and sucides using guns numbered 24,432 (if it keeps with the 2018 trends).

Offline Gunnerman19

• Deviant
Reply #784 on: February 20, 2020, 09:34:02 AM
 :roll:  :facepalm: Oh Lois, there is so much wrong with this article (as well as the one that was linked) and the rest is just not telling the whole story with all the available info that even a 9 year old can find and study.

With articles like this and people such as yourself eating it up, I feel confident things will remain in the firearm owners favor. Thank you for sharing. This article put me to sleep multiple times.

Have you given up your .357 yet?

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #785 on: February 21, 2020, 02:50:25 AM
Why would I give up my .357?  I'm not the one lying to myself and pretending that a hammer is just as dangerous as a firearm.

Offline Gunnerman19

• Deviant
Reply #786 on: February 21, 2020, 05:12:38 AM
Well you think having a firearm is more dangerous than not having one so I figured you would get rid of it by now. Aren’t you more likely to be murdered if you have a firearm, according to your article you posted?
Right because blunt force objects only tickle the person being hit with them.  Haha you think you got it all figured out but you choose to act clueless instead.

Here ya go Lois...

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2013/jan/30/greg-abbott/greg-abbott-says-according-fbi-more-people-are-kil/

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/berks-county-double-murder-suicide-hammer-fire-union-township-pennsylvania/2226521/

https://fox8.com/news/woman-accused-of-using-hammer-to-kill-mother-to-appear-in-court/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01/24/metro/husband-pleads-guilty-killing-transgender-activist-spouse-berkshires/

I guess by your thinking if you own a hammer then you are more likely to be murdered rather than have a well maintained home. Oh and would you look at that..., blunt force objects have been known to be used to kill more people than the use of rifles...hmmm. Yet no concern for those lost to some asshat swinging a hammer. Maybe it’s the guns fault, yeah gotta be the guns fault for all those deaths from the use of blunt force objects.
Pretty sure I didn’t say hammers are dangerous. Have yet to see a hammer, or a firearm for that matter, get up and kill someone. The person swinging the hammer can be dangerous just as the person with a firearm can be dangerous. You make me laugh tho with how you are stuck on this. My 6 year old seems to have a better grasp on this than you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:13:29 AM by Gunnerman19 »

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #787 on: February 23, 2020, 03:18:40 AM
So why do you need firearms when you have a hammer?

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #788 on: February 23, 2020, 06:30:58 AM
Need is not part of the equation at all.

So why do you need firearms when you have a hammer?

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

Offline Gunnerman19

• Deviant
Reply #789 on: February 23, 2020, 10:17:40 AM
Seems a rather ridiculous question doesn’t it? Look, you are just being difficult and I expect that from you. I have given you plenty of evidence against your thinking and you are boring me with your lack of knowledge and understanding on such an issue.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:04:00 AM by Gunnerman19 »

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #790 on: February 23, 2020, 11:07:54 PM
Au contraire! You are the one making the assertion that hammers are just as dangerous as guns.  And yet, in a duel would you choose a hammer over a gun?  Are hammer's sold with a disclamer or warning to keep out of reach of children?  Are children playing with hammers likely to get more than a smashed finger?  What might happen if a child plays with a loaded gun?

You only make yourself look a fool when you make the assertion that hammers are just as dangerous as guns.

Thank goodness guns are not as common as hammers, or likely deaths resulting from guns would skyrocket.  When murder is merely a crime of passion (anger), the person filled with anger grabs the first available object and vents their fury.  That object could be a hammer, a frying pan, a baseball bat, bare hands, or a gun.  And yet gun deaths are right up there with blunt-force trauma deaths.  Why?  Because they are far deadlier.

And yet what about those who set about to do violence without such passion?  Often these people use guns.  This is why it is important to have back-ground checks so we can keep guns out of the hands of those who see violence as a means to an end.

Offline Gunnerman19

• Deviant
Reply #791 on: February 23, 2020, 11:25:41 PM
Haha oh good lord. Again Lois... a hammer that is swung by someone to cause damage to another can as well cause death. A bullet can cause death as well so therefore wouldn’t that mean that they are both capable of causing the same result? Just as not every bullet will find its mark neither will every hammer strike...right? So if this too is a truth then why is that? Because the person using the tool (be it a firearm, car, hammer etc etc) is the dangerous one. The “fool” is the one that disputes a hammer in the hands of someone that means to do harm is not as dangerous as a firearm in the same hands. The potential is there for both tools.
I find it extremely amusing that you comment on such things as background checks like I dispute the usefulness of them. Haha you really are difficult and love to argue points that are so clear to even little kids. Why are you trying to confuse yourself with crime of passion? What I have explained is truth no matter what. Even if it’s defending yourself. Hahaha...Make it as complicated as you please, I’m game, bored with you but game.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:54:00 AM by Gunnerman19 »

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #792 on: February 24, 2020, 09:16:09 PM
Then let's have a duel.  I get a shotgun and you get a hammer.  :emot_laughing:

Offline Gunnerman19

• Deviant
Reply #793 on: February 25, 2020, 01:05:11 AM
You are truly a fool Lois. Yet again you seem to miss simple shit because you are completely dedicated to fool yourself. The joke is obviously on yourself sweetheart
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:17:19 AM by Gunnerman19 »

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #794 on: March 03, 2020, 06:46:10 PM
David Lacey sought to protect his family and home from trespassers, who were causing a ruckus on his property in the middle of the night.

Good going, David!

https://www.weaselzippers.us/444778-los-angeles-das-husband-pull-gun-on-black-lives-matter-protesters-protesting-on-his-porch/

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #795 on: March 03, 2020, 08:19:35 PM
 :roll:

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #797 on: March 04, 2020, 12:36:39 AM
  Are you challenging the validity of the story, Lois? A simple 'Google' search would have found you a bunch of left leaning sources to the same story, if you looked... I don't usually seek out leftist sources for "news", and so I offered a source where the story was handy to grab the link.

I can skip attaching any link in the future, since that seems your preference.
Please cease 'shooting the messenger'.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #798 on: March 04, 2020, 01:19:55 AM
  Are you challenging the validity of the story, Lois? A simple 'Google' search would have found you a bunch of left leaning sources to the same story, if you looked... I don't usually seek out leftist sources for "news", and so I offered a source where the story was handy to grab the link.

I can skip attaching any link in the future, since that seems your preference.
Please cease 'shooting the messenger'.

I was rolling my eyes at the need to threaten people with guns that are excersizing their 1st Amendment rights. If any laws were broken, call the police.  Don't turn vigilante.

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #799 on: March 04, 2020, 01:28:49 AM
  If a loud shouting group of Black Lives Matter thugs were on your porch at 3am, Lois, I expect you would react by first getting your firearm in hand.

Depends when the threat is exterior, as to a physical presence, on State Law, as to whether legitimate self defense or possible 'brandishing' may end up being
in order, and either way, they got off his porch, and stopped making noise.

How was a homeowner to know that a obnoxious sounding mob, at your front door at a unseemly hour, was not a mob with bad intentions toward your family? Good on him.

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.