KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

The Kristen Archives - ON HIATUS, sorry, no further info yet

SilverRiverdad · 59075

Offline xsnaggle

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +1/-0
  • Male mid fifties. seen and done most things.
So I got limitless spare time on my hands but not the tech knowhow or back-up (although I know willing people who have). Is there any way I could help?
Saying 'Ask Mt Becker' will not be helpful. lol

Offline stan2016

• New Pervert
Do anyone just have ASSTR login and password for updating KA?

Offline irsm

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +20/-0
Ok, I am grateful that Mr. Webber is doing all of us a favor by volunteering at KA.  Which raises the question why KB's self posting system cannot be adopted for KA?  It seems to work pretty well on KB, with a few rocky moments, such as when writers forget to put in story codes.  Is KA so different than KB that a uniform system of posting stories can't work for both?  Seems like a good solution, that way Mr. Webber can attend to his family, job, personal life just like the rest of us, and the rest of us can once again read the stories which are submitted by creative authors, who can then reach their audience and fans without interruption.  It seems so logical and direct, that I fear there is a convoluted, high tech reason why it cannot work that way.

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
ASSTR is running utterly different code than KB is.  Nothing here would work there, and vice-versa.  I can't tell from looking at a page WHAT they're running there, but it feeds HTML to your browser like any other application.  I don't have a clue what it takes to maintain The Kristen Archives section of ASSTR.  That particular section almost looks like 90s-vintage hand-written HTML, compared to some of the other areas of ASSTR... it's an entirely different format.

If it's hand-written, then updating for a story is labor-intensive.  Here, it's all done automatically by the forum software.

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake

Ummm.... please, DON'T use us as a replacement for Kristen's Archives!

Right now the forum database is over a gigabyte, and it's damned hard to back up.  If we double it, I don't know that the script I have will work.  We can't handle the volume of stories posted to ASSTR.  They have several servers all working together to produce the ASSTR site, and we're on a small shared host, probably one thousandth the capability of the combined ASSTR servers.

If we get flooded with stories, the forum may fold and die.

Offline stan2016

• New Pervert
Right now the forum database is over a gigabyte, and it's damned hard to back up. 
over a gigabyte, and it's damned hard to back up.
over a gigabyte, 
hard to back up.
During 2016...

ASSTR.  They have several servers all working together to produce the ASSTR site
2016 year. Serveral servers to produce static HTML site. Oh, boy...

Offline DoctorMaybe

• Not Yet A Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-0
Let me say something no one who's been kvetching here seems to have thought to say: is there anything we can do to HELP get things running again?

Offline GEMINIGUY

• "I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
  • GG
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +507/-59
You'd have to try to find a way to contact someone on Kristen's Archive. I don't think anyone here talked to anyone there other than Mr. Webber...

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant

Offline 53

• Not Yet A Pervert
Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 04:25:02 AM
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:32:32 PM by 53 »

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• Not Yet A Pervert
Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 05:39:41 AM
So long time lurker, only registered now.  But if someone is willing to host it (I don't know enough about the legal issues this site faces or gets challenged with), I can easily put together a drupal version of this site that allows people to upload stories, add pre-set tags, and searchable by tags/words.  All that is pretty much an out of the box drupal install and would be quite simplistic to create.

A bit more power in the webserver is required due to it being a CMS (a lot mitigatable with caching), but a virtual private server (vs a shared server, the cheapest) is more than adequate for simply hosting text.

Once the basics are there, a number of people can register (obviously a strong captcha system would have to be in place to avoid spammers) and help repost/tag all of the stories currently in the archive.

Just an offer as a volunteer.
Vy

I think we should get together sometime and talk about your plan/idea. I would like to be apart of it. Also as far as the legal stuff goes, if you live in America you are protected by the 1st amendment so no worries there. Send me a PM or reply back to this and let me know if you need or want some help.

Offline 53

• Not Yet A Pervert
Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 04:49:44 PM
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:32:19 PM by 53 »

Offline irsm

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +20/-0
Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 11:09:52 PM
This is a direct copy from the Kristen Archives:

If you don't see an updated page it might be that I didn't get to it, but it also might be because your browser's "cache" has been set for longer than your last visit to the site. Browsers can be set to cache the pages visited so that it can open pages faster. But this can cause you to see older versions of a page until the cache has expired.

Before accepting that I haven't gotten around to an update, try placing your curser on the page in question and right click your mouse and then hit refresh or reload. This will hard-update the "cached" version of the page to the current version.

One last note: The Kristen Archives was originally developed to help this webmaster learn to hand build HTML sites, the project is run by one individual (And is still a hand-made HTML site) and can only grow as real-life events allow.

A Webber (Webmaster)
The Kristen Archives
Tried that already, many times, still no updates and the page is frozen on the January date of last update.  Also tried rebooting after shutting down.  Any other suggestions?

Offline GEMINIGUY

• GG
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #32 on: June 19, 2016, 12:42:39 AM
Yeah. Re-read the old stories from the beginning.

Offline 53

• Not Yet A Pervert
Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 07:03:44 AM
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:32:49 PM by 53 »

Offline HelpArrived

• Not Yet A Pervert
Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 11:42:56 PM
I'm here to help.  I'd love to post new stories

I speak HTML and CSS

please put me to work

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 02:38:59 AM

The Kristen Archives may be hand-tooled HTML, but that's only one area of ASSTR.  I think most of the rest is generated by a script, from what I'd read.

Offline stan2016

• New Pervert
Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 11:01:50 PM
Here's no sense in creating standalone site with stories. Do you really want to answer abuses and involve lawyers? KA contains any stories. With minors. With zoo. With rape, snuff and other themes. ASSTR team already have experience to deal with possible complains.

Just create new collection, like KA. Donate to ASSTR, if it necessary. For accepting new stories, search engine, tag engine you can create external site, that will not contain any dangerous content, only code, forms for authors, tag and search index and links to stories in new collection on ASSTR.

Joomla, Wordpress and other CMS is not needed for ASSTR and other story sites. Their content is mostly static. To deliver such content to your browser, webserver just read plain text file, write it to socket and - you got it, you can read it. Static site is optimal for reduce costs. It's very hard to hack such site. It just works.

KitKat

Reply #37 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:09 PM
I remember before I registered at this board I didn't know that there were more sex stories to read here. New ones posted almost everyday. So until the asstr site is back, I suggest checking out this board. http://www.kristensboard.com/forums/index.php?board=36.0

Ya welcome.  ;D

Offline GEMINIGUY

• GG
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 03:27:40 AM
True, but that's only SOME of the stories to be read. So many other story Forums here, and more open up when you're a registered member.

KitKat

Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 02:57:38 PM
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:19:11 AM by =^..^= »