What RUINED your day today?

MintJulie · 217828

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #1700 on: October 25, 2018, 01:02:44 AM

I mean holy fuck, I’m 56 years old and on blood pressure medication, which I fucking forgot to take this morning!

So I’m sitting at my desk at work having heart palpitations thinking about those two vacations that now have me in debt and speculating I probably won’t be able to retire until I’m over 80, and then she tells me she’s kidding.

My wife wants a baby and I am having the same conversation with myself.  “Oh! Is this your grandchild?”  Grrrrr.

Yeah, I can imagine that conversation too.

‘Your granddaughter is so cute.’
‘She’s my daughter.  The one that looks like my daughter is my wife.’

Maybe not, the gf is rather brown and Inca looking, so probably would never be mistaken for my daughter.

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
Reply #1701 on: October 25, 2018, 02:11:22 AM

Happy Father's Day, in advance.

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #1702 on: October 25, 2018, 02:31:56 AM

Happy Father's Day, in advance.

Well thanks, but I don’t think anyone is knocked up just yet.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #1703 on: October 25, 2018, 03:59:34 AM
She went to an ER Today, she doesn’t Have liver damage, probably isn’t suffering from issues with her gallbladder, but is likely upper stomach issues some kind of reflux.
She is driving me crazy with her fears that she has something. She has twice self-diagnosed herself into anxiety/panic attacks.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3085/-41
Reply #1704 on: October 29, 2018, 06:49:12 PM

Not today, but on Saturday.

I went to a big Halloween party with a friend. I dressed as Flor from the Progressive Insurance commercials, and she dressed as an accident victim, with torn and bloody clothes. Standing next to each other, it was a relatively clever co-costume.

But there were about 150 people at the party, and I was one of six people dressed as Flo. So much for originality. And I was the 6th best of the 6. The best "Flo" at the party was a guy, who had a beard, who nailed it.

In my opinion, the best costume was a husband and wife who came dressed as a bride and groom, only they switched roles: The woman was wearing black tie and tails, with a fake mustache and beard, and the man was wearing a beautiful wedding gown, and fully made up.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

_priapism

Reply #1705 on: October 29, 2018, 09:25:43 PM
Friend with multiple brain tumors taken from hospice to the hospital by ambulance.  Prognosis is grim.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1706 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:55 PM
Friend with multiple brain tumors taken from hospice to the hospital by ambulance.  Prognosis is grim.

:'(

Sorry to hear that.

_priapism

Reply #1707 on: October 30, 2018, 01:45:05 AM

:'(

Sorry to hear that.

He’s been in the death spiral for quite some time.  Sad though to see his mother insisting that he’s going to be okay and make a recovery.  Not much to offer at this point except “thoughts and prayers.”  I’m doubtful he’s even cognizant of what’s going on.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1708 on: October 30, 2018, 02:16:32 AM
Maybe that's for the best. I wouldn't want to know.  :-[

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #1709 on: October 30, 2018, 02:38:17 AM
Sorry Merv.  It’s especially sad when loved ones can’t accept.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1753/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #1710 on: October 30, 2018, 03:34:53 AM

I was one of six people dressed as Flo. So much for originality. And I was the 6th best of the 6. The best "Flo" at the party was a guy, who had a beard, who nailed it.

Oh stop.   I'm sure you were spectacular.  I can totally picture you in costume.   You'd make a fantastic Flo, Barb.

One of my coworkers church held their annual Trunk or Treat event.  The theme was "The Greatest Showman"    OMG, he dressed as the bearded lady.   He nailed it.  He's got a lumberjack type build and he got fake breasts for the costume, he looked amazing.   I wish I could put his picture on here but I can't.  Best costume I've seen this year.   He looked so much like....

Mark is dressing up as Gilligan.  I'm dressing up as Ginger, the movie star.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Remington555

Reply #1711 on: October 30, 2018, 02:00:12 PM

Make sure you get the mole on the correct cheek. Here's a picture if you can't remember.

BTW, Tina Louise is now 84 years old, and there's a recent picture of her at the above link as well.

Remmy

IdleBoast

Reply #1712 on: November 03, 2018, 04:29:44 PM
I have some sort of virus.

Groggy, general blech, powerful cough that makes me see stars, and now it's setting off my asthma (which means it's going to hang around for days... :( )

_priapism

Reply #1713 on: November 03, 2018, 07:28:22 PM

Make sure you get the mole on the correct cheek. Here's a picture if you can't remember.

BTW, Tina Louise is now 84 years old, and there's a recent picture of her at the above link as well.

Remmy

psiberzerker

Reply #1714 on: November 03, 2018, 07:40:34 PM
OMG, he dressed as the bearded lady.   He nailed it.  He's got a lumberjack type build and he got fake breasts for the costume, he looked amazing.

As much as I hate modern musical theater with Pitch Perfect pop tunes in lieu of period style soundtracks, I just have to applaud "This is Me" based on the message.

Also, delight in the irony of a man getting fake breasts, instead of a lady wearing a(n excellent) fake beard to play the same role.

Better than pictures

Remington555

Reply #1715 on: November 04, 2018, 01:57:18 PM

For the first time in nearly a year, there's something missing in my home office -- the soft background hissing of an oxygen machine emanating from the baby monitor on my desk.

My mom died in her sleep early Saturday morning so the oxygen machine has been turned off, but that's not what ruined my day. Of course I was sorry to lose her, but it wasn't unexpected and in some ways it was a blessing.

No, what ruined my day was what came later. Things like notifying relatives (one of my sisters actually asked how long it would take to get our inheritance), dealing with the funeral home and dismantling the hospital bed and other equipment that belongs to hospice.

Our local hospice company is amazing. Before the day was over, no fewer than six hospice workers either called or came by on Saturday, and only one of them was actually on duty this weekend.

2018 has been an emotional roller coaster. It actually started in December 2017 when my mom had a debilitating stroke and was hospitalized.

While she was being treated for that, our oldest daughter took a bad turn in her 2-year battle against cancer and was put under hospice care. No longer able to be on her own, we moved her into our house, where she died five days later.

In the meantime, my mom had been discharged back to her assisted living home where her monthly cost went from $3000 a month (as an ambulatory resident) to over $6500 a month (as a bedridden invalid).

So, three days after our daughter died, we moved my mom into the house and she hasn't been out of bed since. I had no idea what a physical and emotional toll being a caregiver would take, but we just took things one day at a time.

I don't have a lot of childhood memories after I started school, and the thing I remember most about my mom when she was a single parent (up until I was 6) was that she sang to me every day. I didn't realize until many years later that most of the songs she sang were sad.

Six or seven years ago before my dad died, I asked my mom about the one song I remembered the best, although what I remembered was just the chorus, Please mommy please, stay home with me.

She amazed me by singing almost the whole song (there was a line or two that she'd forgotten), and it was only then that I realized what a sad song it was.

Of course, as a child, I was too young to understand most of the lyrics, but as it turned out in the end, she did stay home with me, for the final few months of her life.

Thank you for letting me ramble,

Remmy

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1313/-3
Reply #1716 on: November 04, 2018, 02:13:51 PM
Sounds like you've been through a lot Remmy.  Your daughter and mom were blessed to have you as such a caring father and son.  You went above the call of what many would do.  I wish you well as you heal from all you've been through. 

Thanks for sharing these painful memories.  Hopefully it will help you to unburden some of the pain.  Many hugs and peace to you.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #1717 on: November 04, 2018, 03:56:36 PM
My condolences Remmington.  I’ve been there.  I had to call my stepdaughter the night I found my wife (her mom) dead on the kitchen floor.

_priapism

Reply #1718 on: November 04, 2018, 05:05:16 PM
Love and prayers to you and your family Remmy.  Memory eternal.

_priapism

Reply #1719 on: November 04, 2018, 05:08:15 PM
Public Service announcement:  I do a lot of elder care work.  Guardianships, estate planning, and probate of wills.  It never ceases to amaze to see adults, often in their 70’s themselves, fighting over estate property (What are you going to do with it?  You’re 78!) and who loved mom the most.  I’ve had one tied up for years over a dispute over the ashes.  Uncle wants to part the ashes, daughter (administratrix) does not.  Dad’s remains are sitting in a vault over at the funeral home, incurring fees, in the meantime.

Have a will, a medical directive, a power of attorney, a medical power of attorney, a HIPAA compliant authorization for friends and family, burial directive, and guardianship directive for yourself, and for your minor children.

The fees associated with the foregoing are minuscule in comparison to the fees spent by your family and heirs when you don’t have these documents.  I just finished a $60,000 guardianship with two ancillary proceedings.  Brother and sister fighting over mother and control of a multi-million dollar estate. 

We will all die.  But only a few of us will have our affairs in order.