News:

What RUINED your day today?

MintJulie · 217747

Offline phtlc

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +207/-6
Reply #1020 on: June 02, 2017, 07:44:46 AM
The New York Yankees

While you're waiting in vain for that apology, why don't you make yourself useful by getting on your knees and opening your mouth

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #1021 on: June 02, 2017, 07:59:59 AM
I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday.  I tried to talk them out of it, but because I broke both sides of the ankle it has to be.

They gave me percocet for the pain.  I took one last night and it was way too strong.  I was nauseous all night and into the next day.  UGH.  I cut one in half for tonight.  Still upsets my stomach a bit, but if it dulls the pain enough to sleep that's all I need.

I can't take any vitamin E, fish oil, or ibuprofen before surgery.  I'm going to be missing the ibuprofen.  It worked as a pain reliever and to reduce the swelling.  I have no idea why vitamin E and fish oil are restricted, but ibuprofen works as a blood thinner and it is understandable they don't want a person that won't stop bleeding during surgery.

IdleBoast

Reply #1022 on: June 02, 2017, 10:52:39 AM
Vitamin E & fish oils also have blood-thinning effects.

Though their effect is not as great as for ibuprofen, you're still supposed to stop taking both at least a week before surgery.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1753/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #1023 on: June 02, 2017, 01:52:18 PM
:(

You're in all of our thoughts.    Tuesday seems so far away.   Is it because of all the swelling?    Hopefully you have a somewhat restful weekend ahead.

:-*,
Jules

I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday.  I tried to talk them out of it, but because I broke both sides of the ankle it has to be.

They gave me percocet for the pain.  I took one last night and it was way too strong.  I was nauseous all night and into the next day.  UGH.  I cut one in half for tonight.  Still upsets my stomach a bit, but if it dulls the pain enough to sleep that's all I need.

I can't take any vitamin E, fish oil, or ibuprofen before surgery.  I'm going to be missing the ibuprofen.  It worked as a pain reliever and to reduce the swelling.  I have no idea why vitamin E and fish oil are restricted, but ibuprofen works as a blood thinner and it is understandable they don't want a person that won't stop bleeding during surgery.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1024 on: June 04, 2017, 11:28:48 AM
I am in agony. No more ibuprofen and the swelling is so severe that the splint has dug into my shins causing bruising and dents. I know because I've finally unwrapped it so I can ice it. Will call tomorrow and see what I can try. They should have written a script for celebrex.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1313/-3
Reply #1025 on: June 04, 2017, 01:41:27 PM
So sorry this is going so bad for you, Lois.  I have to wonder about the medical care out there.  Making you wait so long before surgery is hard to understand. 
I know how tough broken ankles can be.  Wife managed to break both hers in one fall a few years ago.  She was totally helpless so was admitted right away and ended up with two weeks in rehab too.

I hope you have someone who can get some more ibuprofen to you.  And yes, ice should help the swelling.  Is there an urgent care facility you can call today?  Hope you get help soon.  Thinking of you.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

IdleBoast

Reply #1026 on: June 04, 2017, 11:21:08 PM
I am in agony. No more ibuprofen and the swelling is so severe that the splint has dug into my shins causing bruising and dents. I know because I've finally unwrapped it so I can ice it. Will call tomorrow and see what I can try. They should have written a script for celebrex.

Lie face down on your bed, get somebody to massage your scalp with their fingertips, top of your head and down to your neck.

While they're doing that, try the 4-7-8 breathing exercise, closing your eyes and picturing your favourite KBers wiggling their interesting parts to distract you...

(Things can't get much worse, and soon they'll be soooo much better!)

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1027 on: June 05, 2017, 03:00:37 AM
Called the hospital last night and they said to come in right away.  They re-wrapped the splint a little looser and that helped a lot.  Still hurts because of the damage from have in too tight for so long, but getting better.

No ibuprofen until after surgery.

And yes, I live in the USA and I'm not rich, so of course my medical care is lousy.  It is a very long time to wait for surgery.  If I was in Europe, they would have admitted me on the spot and gotten surgery within 48 hours.  But not here.  Here we pay more and get less.

I can't even start recovery until the surgery is completed.  And even then it is an outpatient procedure.  No wonder the US leads the developed world in post surgery infections.  I am expected to wash myself before the surgery with DIAL soap, when I cannot even clean myself properly because I cannot stand up in the shower.

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
Reply #1028 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:28 AM

OUCH... I feel your pain, Lois!  Perhaps more poignantly than most.  Depending on the OR, I might recommend a Betadine scrub of the whole lower leg before heading in, as chlorhexidine is hard to come by for us normal folks.  Chloraprep is what they use for surgical prep, but Betadine is a good second choice, though it'll stain your skin for a few weeks.

I missed this entire thread until now... didn't know you were emulating me.  :'(  
Falling off of ladders isn't fun, but at least you'll be healing while I'm still waiting the SECOND surgery on mine.

Dunno what your diet is like, but I'd recommend two supplements, both can be had at a decent Farmer's Market or Whole Paycheck:
1) Source of Life 'Bone Support' (organic calcium, magnesium, D3 & K2)
2) Trace Minerals Research 'ConcenTrace Trace Mineral Drops' (get the small bottle)

Even if you heal normally, those two will help speed new bone growth after the surgery.  You only need 'em for about 6 to 8 weeks.

Ugggghhh... wearing an ankle cast in Tucson summers...

edit: Crap!  I forgot... ziplock freezer bag with 1 part isopropyl alcohol, 2 to 4 parts water (more water in the ratio makes it more solid, so 1:4 is the most firm, 1:2 the most flexible).  Drop it in the freezer (make 3 or 4 of 'em), makes a cold pack that will conform to your hurting ankle better than bags of ice (or whatever).  It won't freeze solid, so it's flexible.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:36:06 AM by RopeFiend »

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

Offline NaughtyNicole

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +192/-0
Reply #1029 on: June 05, 2017, 04:25:40 AM
WOW, must be a bad week for ankles. I turned my ankle today during my morning run. I stepped on a tree root and ended up falling on my face. Didn't break it, just a mild sprain but I'll be on crutches for a week or so.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1030 on: June 05, 2017, 04:52:02 PM
Sooooooooooooooo hot.

_priapism

Reply #1031 on: June 05, 2017, 06:37:23 PM

And yes, I live in the USA and I'm not rich, so of course my medical care is lousy.  It is a very long time to wait for surgery.  If I was in Europe, they would have admitted me on the spot and gotten surgery within 48 hours.  But not here.  Here we pay more and get less.

They made me wait six days for surgery, for no other reason than no additional OR's were available.  Charged about $15,000 per day to "stabilize and monitor."

Saturday night, they showed up in my room and said I was discharged.  No instructions on wound care or medication.  Just "see your doctor in 2 to 4 weeks."  'Murica.

IdleBoast

Reply #1032 on: June 05, 2017, 07:42:56 PM

edit: Crap!  I forgot... ziplock freezer bag with 1 part isopropyl alcohol, 2 to 4 parts water (more water in the ratio makes it more solid, so 1:4 is the most firm, 1:2 the most flexible).  Drop it in the freezer (make 3 or 4 of 'em), makes a cold pack that will conform to your hurting ankle better than bags of ice (or whatever).  It won't freeze solid, so it's flexible.

Or just use a bag of frozen peas or corn wrapped in a thin towel...

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1753/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #1033 on: June 05, 2017, 08:30:16 PM
WOW, must be a bad week for ankles. I turned my ankle today during my morning run. I stepped on a tree root and ended up falling on my face. Didn't break it, just a mild sprain but I'll be on crutches for a week or so.

Boo!   Sorry to hear this.   Crutches  BLECH!   I was on them last fall.  HATE.   Get well soon.   Wait....Mild sprain?  A week or so on crutches?  Sounds more than mild.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1034 on: June 05, 2017, 10:49:06 PM
I hate crutches too. They don't help me much with mobility.  Good tips on icing injuries.

I got in my office chair this morning and managed tonight​ get to the bathroom and to get some breakfast, then back to bed to wait for the pain to settle down.  Still in bed.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1035 on: June 07, 2017, 01:12:14 AM
Surgery is done. Yay! That means I'm finally on the mend. The nerve blocks will fade soon, so I'm​taking ibuprofen in the hopes it will curb the pain when they wear off.

I'm stuck in bed on cell phone for a bit though.

Offline vinney

• POM - March 2012 - October 2014 - December 2015 - POY 2015
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +948/-3
  • Excuse me ma'am... you're sitting on my tonka toy.
Reply #1036 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:02 AM
Great to hear the surgery is over. Rest up Lois... I'm sure things will gradually improve... Glad that part of your agony is over.

vinney :-*

If you've got a cock then use it, if you're a lady abuse it.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1313/-3
Reply #1037 on: June 07, 2017, 02:59:03 AM
Glad that part's over for you.  Be sure to do your rehab exercises so you get a good recovery.  It's important.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
Reply #1038 on: June 07, 2017, 04:07:53 AM

Lois, NSAIDs (Ibuprofin, Naproxen, etc.) all block or significantly slow the healing process, so get off of them as soon as you can.  Aspirin and narcotics don't have the same effect, so they're OK to take unless you have problems with one or the other. 

I can recommend Vicodin, myself.  Dr RopeFiend *LIKES* Vicodin when he's in pain.  Luckily that's pretty rare.

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1039 on: June 07, 2017, 05:24:58 AM
If I don't take ibuprofen, it will swell and cause damage in the cast.  I'm using ice, but it really does not penetrate the bandage.  Not to worry.  I will limit the use of ibuprofen to control the swelling until it subsides.

They also gave me vicodin on steroids: percocet.  But it makes me nauseous.  They gave me lots of opioids after surgery to control the pain until the nerve block was redone.  It didnt really help and left me with a terrible headache and some nausea.

Also drinking lots of water.