staci · 891

Offline staci

• KB Pervert of the Year 2023
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1839/-28
on: September 05, 2016, 08:04:38 PM
Where were you on that infamous day?
What were your thoughts? Feelings?
Would be welcome to hear thoughts from our Non USA members as well.
Do you feel that positive steps have been made to prevent a recurrence?

one of the originals

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3086/-41
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:33:28 AM

A very germane series of questions, since I walked past the 9/11 Memorial this afternoon, which led me to think about the anniversary this weekend.

(By the way, I would never visit the Memorial, since they charge $25 to get in, but that's a story for another thread.)

I will pray, as I do every year, for the victims -- here, and in Washington DC and Pennsylvania.

I will also pray (though "pray" in a metaphorical sense) that we begin to turn the corner and not memorialize that day with a sense of death and morbidity, as we have every year in the past, nor with a repeat of a proliferation of images of death and destruction (planes crashing, buildings exploding and collapsing, bodies falling, etc.) as we also have every year in the past. I hope, beginning this year, we commemorate it the way we do Memorial Day, which is free from such sentiments and such images as 9/11.

I will also pray (again, metaphorically) that the commemoration can be completely free of politicization and partisan politics, with people not using the occasion to grind political axes and score partisan points but, rather, using it as a time to reflect, to pray, and to see how we can improve, individually and collectively.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline staci

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:09:34 AM
Good points all Miss Barbara. To blame the event on one political person or party for gain of another makes no sense is offensive.
Plainly put, we were caught with our pants down and what is most important is to prevent another attempt. I understand that right after the sabotage the Commercial airlines all but shut down.

one of the originals

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1761/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 03:17:33 AM
Where were you on that infamous day?

I didn't know about the events of that day until Sept 14th.    My boyfriend and I were camping in the middle of nowhere Canada.    A tent by a river and a 5 mile hike from the nearest road.
We were completely blown away when we were on our way home.   We had stopped in a town and were having breakfast.   The waitress filled us in.   We walked outside and got a newspaper and I started to cry, I didn't stop.   I called my sister from a payphone.    I was so shaken by it that I couldn't even drive.    The Sarnia/PortHuron bridge into the United States is usually a 5 minute commute.     It took us 3 hours to get into the U.S.     I could not wait to see my sister and family to hold them.   I stayed with my sister for about 4 days and watched the news.    I was so emotional.   Pissed one moment.  Crying the next.   Happy to hear some of the survival stories.     There were a couple of people from our hometown that died that day, but we didn't know them.     We also bought a flag and hung one at my sister's house and one at my house.   We have flown the flag every day since.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline herschel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +222/-1
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:16:41 AM
I will cut this short, and go on the record as a confirmed conspiracy theorist.

Offline staci

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:04:31 PM
I will cut this short, and go on the record as a confirmed conspiracy theorist.

cool
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 07:56:10 AM by staci »

one of the originals

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:06:54 PM
I was in high school. English class. It was announced to us by our teacher.

The first thing that raced through my mind was that my Dad was going to go to war. I was so frightened, devastated, that I couldn't concentrate on anything.

I thought I was about to lose my father.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 07:43:36 AM
My ex and I were driving to work across the Dumbarton bridge into Palo Alto.  We first heard that the schools in San Francisco were closing in case there were more terrorist attacks.  We were like WTF is going on?  The coverage all centered on how the attack was impacting the SF-Bay area so we thought the terrorist attack happened in the Bay Area. We did not find out what actually happened until we arrived at work.  Some people were crying and some, like me, walked around stunned.  I don't think any work got done that day, and we were sent home early.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• "I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
  • GG
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +508/-59
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 09:45:59 AM
Shouldn't someone be updating the title of this thread as we draw closer to the date?

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant

Offline staci

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:59:24 AM
Shouldn't someone be updating the title of this thread as we draw closer to the date?

Don't thing so Jim.

It doesn't appear to be a pertinent topic.

one of the originals

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1375/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 11:04:57 AM
I was in bed, asleep in my apt. My friend called me to let me know his family was ok, but that it was really bad. I had no idea as to what he meant. He told me to turn on the news, and I did just in time to see the second plane hit live. I sat alone, crying in front of my TV. For the next day or so, I was pretty much in fear of another attack here in Los Angeles.

Offline Well Behaved Lady

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +535/-8
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 01:39:47 PM
My memories from that time.....

Across the pond, I was heading back to work after lunch and the security on the site I was working on had a TV and were watching the events unfolding. There was little work completed that afternoon.

My brother had arrived home from New York that morning and had only been a visitor to the Towers the day before, it was quite unsettling seeing his photos after.

I was travelling to New York 8 weeks after but that was cancelled as my friends didn't feel 'safe' flying. I made that trip a year later.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:09:31 PM by Well Behaved Lady »

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +379/-9
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 04:21:01 PM
I was 18 and just out of High School having graduated that June.
I remember coming home and walking into the house and telling my Mom what I heard on the Truck radio, and my Mom telling me to be quiet for a moment. My Dad was in the next room talking to Headquarters Marine Corps, he was being recalled to active duty and his old squadron (HMM-766) was being re-organized for deployment, he was take command right away. I not sure what happen next, I know I cried like crazy, but I'm sure if it was for the victims or my father (I like to think it was for both).
Thankfully while the orders came through, they ended up being cancelled.

Love,
Liz

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 04:03:30 PM

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline vinney

• POM - March 2012 - October 2014 - December 2015 - POY 2015
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +948/-3
  • Excuse me ma'am... you're sitting on my tonka toy.
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 04:18:38 PM
For mere living mortals time passes by so quickly; these years have gone like there was no yesterday, but remains as today, as if the events of 9/11 have only just happened. For those involved in that terrible atrocity there is no tomorrow. Time stands still, the pain, the agonies and the trauma will not recede.

On that fateful day my wife and I were visiting two Essex seaside resorts here in England, Brightlingsea and Frinton. What unfolded to us on the televised news when we returned home was incomprehensible.

What could we say as we stared in horror at the sheer evil of the action of two passenger aircraft deliberately flying into the Twin Towers? All those innocent people in the Towers, all those innocent passengers on the aircraft, their personal agonies untold, their horror shared with the world that day.

Then the Twin Towers crumbled mercilessly downwards sending nearly 3,000 people to those unimaginable final moments of their lives, moments to them that would have been a lifetime.

All the bravery of the rescue services, those firefighters, police, paramedics and medical technicians and so many other brave souls who did everything to help evacuate the buildings in the face of this terrible adversity but, in the end, succumbed to the deathly blow of the collapsing masonry.

The image that remains in my mind of the immediate aftermath of the collapse of those two Towers, is of mayhem, carnage and the choking, paralysing dust that covered not only the surrounding area and buildings but the citizens of New York, grey, choking, shocked and devastated.

Like a pebble dropped in a pond sending ripples across its surface so the effects of 9/11 caused shock-waves that still reverberate round our world even now, all these years on. Those shock-waves will continue ad infinitum…

I ask myself what generates the wanton hatred that causes so much pain and grief, not only to those who had their lives stolen from them, but the families and friends who were left behind.

As I sit, all these hundreds of miles away I relive only a minute proportion of the horrors of that day. How can I really understand the dreadful suffering even though I share the pain?

My prayers are with the many that our civilised world will never let us forget, for we remember and respect every single soul lost that day. Our prayers are said for all who have shared this atrocity, and for the others at the Pentagon and those who died in the field in Shanksville.

Their spirits live forever…

If you've got a cock then use it, if you're a lady abuse it.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 01:55:34 PM

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Quimby84

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +14/-0
  • SOM March 2018
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 02:41:56 PM
I was in 11th Grade. (Our school year here runs from January to December as December a d January are our Summer months.)

I had just gotten home from school and my step mom was already home, which was odd as she was a department head at another school.
The first plane had just hit and I remember asking my mom what movie she was watching?

Then I saw the channel was a news channel and I was stunned.
Part of me thought, well it was only a matter of time based off of the political murmuring at the time and the other part thought, well damn.

Then when the second plane hit and later the towers collapsed it was complete shock.

It was pretty much all that filled the news for weeks here plus the fact that it was the biggest talking g point at school.
There were kids, the next day, who didn't know and didn't believe us when we told them what had happened.
Those that had seen it as I did, also thought they were watching a movie at first because it was unbelievable.

When I finished high school the next year, I wanted to join the US armed forces but as I am not a US citizen, that didnt happen....

If there is grass on the pitch, you play!

_priapism

Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 03:17:23 PM
9/11, War on Terror, Patriot Act, Invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, NSA, TSA, Homeland Security, Blackwater, water boarding, Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo Bay, smart bombs, drone wars, Mission Accomplished, Make America Great Again...    

Bin Laden won.

I don’t think he was that smart.  Perhaps just lucky.  But he grabbed us by the underbelly and destroyed what we once were.  Or perhaps just proved his theory about what we really were all along.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:26:51 PM by Mervinh2o »

Offline Levorotatory

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +19/-0
Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 09:29:35 PM
Well said Mervinh2o.  So much freedom has been given up in the name of "homeland security".  It seems the only freedoms many Americans even try to defend are gun rights, the one place where some compromise might actually reduce the risk of the average American meeting a violent end.