News:

What did you learn today TIL

MintJulie · 106392

Online msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1319/-3
Reply #1440 on: September 24, 2020, 06:03:47 PM
Replicating a small sun on earth wouldn't be very efficient for energy generation.
The energy density of the sun is approximately 276.5 watts per cubic metre at the center of the core, which is about the same energy density as inside a compost heap.

The enormous power output is just due to the large size of the sun.
Well...there goes my plan for great wealth and world domination. :facepalm:
(Msslave begins dismantling lab equipment)

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2955/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #1441 on: September 24, 2020, 06:20:46 PM
Replicating a small sun on earth wouldn't be very efficient for energy generation.
The energy density of the sun is approximately 276.5 watts per cubic metre at the center of the core, which is about the same energy density as inside a compost heap.

Well...there goes my plan for great wealth and world domination. :facepalm:
(Msslave begins dismantling lab equipment)

Was going to make a moon joke, butt I think all of those have run it's course.

Online msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1442 on: September 24, 2020, 06:39:33 PM
 :emot_coolasssshk:

Offline Sweetums

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +97/-1
  • Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Don't listen to me.
Reply #1443 on: September 25, 2020, 04:52:35 AM

A compost heap the size of the sun would not outshine the sun. The sun is plasma. And the energy density you quote surely doesn’t count the matter in that cubic meter, which at 20 million degrees kelvin, is rapidly turning into energy as well. That’s the problem with using energy density in a context in which energy and matter are not conserved.

Come to think of it, a compost heap the size of the sun would certainly collapse into a black hole, sucking the entire solar system in with it, so maybe I’d better not underestimate compost heaps...

Offline xXshepXx

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +25/-0
Reply #1444 on: September 25, 2020, 06:13:32 AM

A compost heap the size of the sun would not outshine the sun. The sun is plasma. And the energy density you quote surely doesn’t count the matter in that cubic meter, which at 20 million degrees kelvin, is rapidly turning into energy as well. That’s the problem with using energy density in a context in which energy and matter are not conserved.

Those 276.5 watts/m3 are the effective power output, though most of that energy stays inside the sun due low thermal conductivity. The hydrogen fusion inside the sun is a rather slow process, fortunately for us. You wouldn't want to (or even be able to) live in a system with an active fusion bomb in the center. :)

I'm not okay, you're not okay. But hey, that's okay

Offline Levorotatory

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +19/-0
Reply #1445 on: September 25, 2020, 08:14:02 AM

Come to think of it, a compost heap the size of the sun would certainly collapse into a black hole, sucking the entire solar system in with it, so maybe I’d better not underestimate compost heaps...

Except that it isn't rapidly turning into energy, it is taking billions of years to do so, and even then over 99% of the mass is retained in the helium that is produced.  That is why the energy density is so low.  If it was much higher, the Sun would have baked the Earth and then run out of fuel long ago.

The low rate of energy production in the Sun illustrates the difficulty of fusion power - hydrogen compressed to a density of 150 g/mL at a temperature of 15 million K only generates ~275 W/m3.  Fusion on Earth requires a reaction with a much larger cross-section, the easiest being the deuterium + tritium reaction.  Even then, the temperature needs to be 10-20 times higher to achieve a self-sustaining reaction.

As for a star-sized compost heap, the organic matter in compost consists primarily of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon.  A late-stage red giant star has a fairly similar composition.  Such a star the size of the Sun would be over a thousand times brighter than the Sun (due to a hotter, denser fusing region with a much higher energy production rate), and would be evolving quickly towards the white dwarf stage.  No black hole would be formed, that would require more than twice the mass of the Sun.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:44:48 AM by Levorotatory »

Gonfalon

Reply #1446 on: September 25, 2020, 12:15:16 PM

The low rate of energy production in the Sun illustrates the difficulty of fusion power - hydrogen compressed to a density of 150 g/mL at a temperature of 15 million K only generates ~275 W/m3.  Fusion on Earth requires a reaction with a much larger cross-section, the easiest being the deuterium + tritium reaction.  Even then, the temperature needs to be 10-20 times higher to achieve a self-sustaining reaction.

Now that is definitely something I didn't know when I logged into KB today.

Every day, in every way, Lavinia grows wiser and wiser.  :)

Offline xXshepXx

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +25/-0
Reply #1447 on: September 25, 2020, 02:00:03 PM
No black hole would be formed, that would require more than twice the mass of the Sun.

Depends on how much mass the compost heap retains. The Chandrasekhar limit is about 1.4 solar masses.
I don't think the galactic pile of manure would follow the main sequence.  ;D

I'm not okay, you're not okay. But hey, that's okay

Offline Levorotatory

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +19/-0
Reply #1448 on: September 26, 2020, 07:55:13 AM
A collapsing object between 1.4 and 2 solar masses will become a neutron star though.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1449 on: September 27, 2020, 04:02:40 AM
I learned I had been spending a fortune on cans of compressed air when I could just get them for $1 at the dollar tree.

:emot_banghead:

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1450 on: September 27, 2020, 05:28:55 AM
I learned I had been spending a fortune on cans of compressed air when I could just get them for $1 at the dollar tree.

How much canned air do you go through?  I have a val pump that I use for most things, I think I bought one can in the past 2 years.

Offline Sweetums

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +97/-1
  • Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Don't listen to me.
Reply #1451 on: September 27, 2020, 05:47:32 AM

Except that it isn't rapidly turning into energy, it is taking billions of years to do so, and even then over 99% of the mass is retained in the helium that is produced.  That is why the energy density is so low.  If it was much higher, the Sun would have baked the Earth and then run out of fuel long ago.

The low rate of energy production in the Sun illustrates the difficulty of fusion power - hydrogen compressed to a density of 150 g/mL at a temperature of 15 million K only generates ~275 W/m3.  Fusion on Earth requires a reaction with a much larger cross-section, the easiest being the deuterium + tritium reaction.  Even then, the temperature needs to be 10-20 times higher to achieve a self-sustaining reaction.

As for a star-sized compost heap, the organic matter in compost consists primarily of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon.  A late-stage red giant star has a fairly similar composition.  Such a star the size of the Sun would be over a thousand times brighter than the Sun (due to a hotter, denser fusing region with a much higher energy production rate), and would be evolving quickly towards the white dwarf stage.  No black hole would be formed, that would require more than twice the mass of the Sun.

I stand corrected. I was gobsmacked to learn that the density of the sun is about 1.4 g/cc whereas the density of a compost pile is at best 0.7 g/cc. I had figured (without checking) that the density of the sun was far less than water, more like a gas mostly, and the density of a compost pile would be approximately the same as water. Neither of those assumptions turned out to be accurate.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1452 on: September 27, 2020, 05:47:50 AM

How much canned air do you go through?  I have a val pump that I use for most things, I think I bought one can in the past 2 years.

Multiple uses. Usually blasting laptop fans and vents without disassembling them.

I should just buy a pump but CJ's retarded and didn't see the value in buying one, when I coulda just bought one and saved a ton of money. CJ has never been accused of being smart. It's like my father said. "Blonde, stupid, and only have one useful thing on your head".  :facepalm:

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1453 on: September 29, 2020, 06:38:56 PM
If you ever played the grand theft auto games, did you know Red Dawn and Ghostbusters canonically exist in that universe? Because Red Dawn is apparently a real movie or a documentary. And Ghostbusters exists because on our own by Bobby Brown plays on a radio station in GTA V which means both movies were made. Which is odd considering how everything in those games is a parody of something in real life.

I know, it's stupid, but my little brother brought it up last night.  :emot_laughing:

_priapism

Reply #1454 on: September 30, 2020, 12:47:32 AM
If you ever played the grand theft auto games, did you know Red Dawn and Ghostbusters canonically exist in that universe? Because Red Dawn is apparently a real movie or a documentary. And Ghostbusters exists because on our own by Bobby Brown plays on a radio station in GTA V which means both movies were made. Which is odd considering how everything in those games is a parody of something in real life.

I know, it's stupid, but my little brother brought it up last night.  :emot_laughing:

About 13 years ago, I bought a copy of the GTA 3 (or maybe San Andreas) version with nudity and sex hidden in the code.  Not to play, but because I thought it might become a collector’s item some day.

Well my kids, who were 6 and 9 at the time, apparently figured the whole thing out, but didn’t tell dad about it.

Fast forward a few months, and I’m hosting a Thanksgiving fete for 75 people.  I hear a shriek upstairs and go to investigate.  One of my church lady friends walked in on my kids explaining “If you kill that ho, you can get your money back.”  About ten kids were seated in a circle watching my boys go to town on GTA.  My wife confiscated the game.  No idea what happened.

I did not win Father of the Year that year.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:26:31 AM by ToeinH2O »

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1455 on: September 30, 2020, 01:30:16 AM
I've heard that before.  Had a boyfriend who would always mumble something about getting his money back whenever we would argue.  I've just learned he was talking about killing me  :emot_weird:

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1456 on: September 30, 2020, 02:52:14 AM

I know, it's stupid, but my little brother brought it up last night.  :emot_laughing:

About 13 years ago, I bought a copy of the GTA 3 (or maybe San Andreas) version with nudity and sex hidden in the code.  Not to play, but because I thought it might become a collector’s item some day.

Well my kids, who were 6 and 9 at the time, apparently figured the whole thing out, but didn’t tell dad about it.

Fast forward a few months, and I’m hosting a Thanksgiving fete for 75 people.  I hear a shriek upstairs and go to investigate.  One of my church lady friends walked in on my kids explaining “If you kill that ho, you can get your money back.”  About ten kids were seated in a circle watching my boys go to town on GTA.  My wife confiscated the game.  No idea what happened.

I did not win Father of the Year that year.

I should have added that his mom doesn't approve, but since I buy the games for him and he's well aware how bad the subject matter is she lets him play them. The fact of the matter is she couldn't keep him from learning these things anyway. He's advanced far beyond his age, trust me.  :roll: She's an awesome mom, but a strict one. She can't hide him from the real world, nor can she stop him from growing up.

My kids on the other hand don't even know what grand theft auto is, the actual crime or the games.  ;D CJ locks that shit down.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:27:02 AM by ToeinH2O »

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1610/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #1457 on: October 01, 2020, 09:45:00 PM
From a Netflix documentary -three women a day are killed in the United States by their husbands or partners. Most premeditated. Very sad.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

_priapism

Reply #1458 on: October 01, 2020, 10:08:08 PM
From a Netflix documentary -three women a day are killed in the United States by their husbands or partners. Most premeditated. Very sad.

Only 104 men die while having sex each year in America, or as it is also known, “being fucked to death.”

Online msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1459 on: October 01, 2020, 11:08:08 PM
Saw this phrase on Toe's post. Had to look it up.

From Urban Dictionary:

lemonparty
One of the unholy trinity of internet pictures which all must witness to be 'jaded internet users' (tubgirl, goatse, and lemonparty), lemonparty is probably the tamest of the three by just being hardcore old man gay orgy sex. Believe me, the other two are worse.
*upon seeing lemonparty* OH GOD MY EYES!!!

http://www.kristensboard.com/forums/index.php?topic=71024.msg585143;topicseen#msg585143