KRISTEN'S BOARD
Please consult your physician prior to participating on this message board.

News:

What did you learn today TIL

MintJulie · 26535

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +1125/-54
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #75 on: March 28, 2017, 02:07:14 AM
I learned today that the popular notion of water going down a drain spins one way in the Northern Hemisphere and the opposite way in the Southern Hemisphere is wrong. Water will drain one way or the other anywhere in the world.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline MintJulie

• ~ Version Number 9.10.02 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +993/-12
  • POY 2016
Reply #76 on: April 11, 2017, 09:36:39 PM

That people are rude.     I knew that, but I don't encounter it very often.   I took some co-workers to lunch as a gift for covering for me while I was off.    Before sitting down, I went to wash my hands in the restroom.   As I was going in, an elderly woman was coming out.   I said excuse me and she said in a mean tone, "No I won't and brushed past me."   
I mean, who does that?   grr

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady.  #TB12

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +745/-54
Reply #77 on: April 12, 2017, 08:01:20 AM
I learned that a pumice stone does not always remove lime scale.  Gonna have to get some acid.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +993/-12
  • POY 2016
Reply #78 on: April 12, 2017, 12:48:01 PM
I learned that a pumice stone does not always remove lime scale.  Gonna have to get some acid.

Acid?   Yikes.   I thought my mom always used vinegar.   Lois is done messing around, it is about to get real.

Good luck.

Offline JBRG

• Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +132/-1
Reply #79 on: April 12, 2017, 05:37:46 PM

Acid?   Yikes.   I thought my mom always used vinegar.   Lois is done messing around, it is about to get real.

Good luck.

Vinegar is an acid (3-9% acetic acid -- this I learned just now).

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +745/-54
Reply #80 on: April 12, 2017, 06:21:40 PM
I have thought of using vinegar, and might still do that.  It's just that my cleaning block at the house is just 2.5 hours and vinegar needs to soak overnight.  The house has three toilets so I could ask them to let it soak.

I would need to turn off the water to the toilet and then empty it by flushing, then refill with the vinegar.

I have never seen a toilet in such bad shape. It is the toilet used by the person who rents a room.  He has never, ever, cleaned it in the 8 years he lived there.  If he had taken a brush to it regularly it would never have gotten so bad. Then all that would be needed is to use the pumice stone on the rim to remove build-up.

I'm supplementing my income by cleaning houses.  The shocking thing is that I get $15 hour, far more than I make as a paralegal in Arizona.  Geeshe, this place is unbelievable!

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +993/-12
  • POY 2016
Reply #81 on: April 12, 2017, 08:55:36 PM
Vinegar is an acid (3-9% acetic acid -- this I learned just now).

And I just learned it from you JBRG

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +938/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #82 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:35 PM
Friday, 13 October 1307, the date Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.

Possible origin of the Friday the 13th superstition in mideval europe.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +664/-2
Reply #83 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:16 PM
Friday, 13 October 1307, the date Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.

Possible origin of the Friday the 13th superstition in mideval europe.

Not just arrested, they were all killed, some burned at the stake.  And they took their secrets with 'em. A great mystery yet.

Well trained and been made compliant....by our two cats.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +938/-14
Reply #84 on: April 13, 2017, 11:28:05 PM
Rosslyn Chapel.

Seek and ye shall find.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline JBRG

• Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +132/-1
Reply #85 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:58 PM
From the world of NHL Hockey --

The Art Ross Trophy awarded to the player with the most total points during the regular season was donated by Art Ross and his two sons in 1947. At the time, Art Ross was the general manager of the Boston Bruins. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1949 as a player. During his playing time, Art Ross was a defence man and had a grand total of 1 NHL goal in his career.

The siren that sounds at the end of each period at Le Centre Bell in Montreal is the same siren that was employed at the Montreal Forum.

As well, the siren used at TD Bank Garden in Boston is the same one that was used in the old Boston Garden.

And the mystery has finally been solved as to when the first ever NHL game was played. On opening night of the league, December 17 1917, there were two games scheduled. One in Ottawa between the Montreal Canadiens and the Ottawa Hockey Club and one in Montreal between the Montreal Wanderers and the Toronto Hockey Club (the team that became the Make Me Laughs did not enter the league until 1919). The problem with determining which game came first arose because although the record shows the game in Montreal started on time, nobody knew what time that was. UNTIL now. A poster advertising the game was found advertising an 8:15 PM start time. The game in Ottawa was scheduled to start at 8:30 PM but was delayed 15 minutes by a wage dispute amongst the Ottawa players.
The Montreal Wanderers folded two weeks later as a result of their arena being destroyed by fire.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +2467/-33
Reply #86 on: April 27, 2017, 02:32:06 PM

I've long wondered why men's clothes have buttons on the right, while women's clothes have buttons on the left,

The reason for this is when buttons were invented, they were very expensive and worn primarily by the rich. Since most people are right-handed, it is easier to push buttons on the right through holes on the left. But because wealthy women were dressed by maids, dressmakers put the buttons on the maid's, and not the wearer's, right. And that's where women's buttons have remained since.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +938/-14
Reply #87 on: April 27, 2017, 04:30:47 PM
An alternative reason is that since most men were right-handed it was easier to unbutton your cloak with your left hand, leaving the sword hand unencumbered.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +2467/-33
Reply #88 on: April 27, 2017, 05:12:13 PM

An alternative reason is that since most men were right-handed it was easier to unbutton your cloak with your left hand, leaving the sword hand unencumbered.

That makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of right-handed swordsmen, there's a funny story in the Bible (I've no recollection where) about an evil king who is persecuting the Chosen People. He's enormously fat, and spends time in a specially designed room to keep cool. One of the Israelite leaders, who's left-handed, decides to assassinate the king. He requests an audience with the king, and the palace guards search his left side for a weapon, find none, and allow him to enter. He then draws his sword from his right side, runs it into the king, and departs. Hours later, the guards think there's nothing amiss and that the king's asleep, since he's so obese that the folds of his fat completely cover the hilt of the sword in his belly.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

ChirpingGirl

Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:19 AM
I learned realtors are worse than used car salesmen.

"It's old, but it has lots of potential."

:roll: