What did you learn today TIL

MintJulie · 104959

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #1640 on: December 28, 2020, 03:30:55 AM
Can you imagine going to the South Pole with the cold weather clothes they had back then? I don't think I would go there today even with all the hi tech gear available. Brave and adventurous people they were.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3080/-41
Reply #1641 on: December 28, 2020, 04:05:24 PM

Can you imagine going to the South Pole with the cold weather clothes they had back then? I don't think I would go there today even with all the hi tech gear available. Brave and adventurous people they were.

One of the keys to Amundsen's success came from his learning from his many previous treks in sub-freezing areas, and from studying the Inuits and Laplanders he met on those journeys. From them he learned things like dressing in layers, rather than one heavy coat, using sunglasses to prevent against snow blindness, traveling on cross-country skis, the proper training and use of dog sleds, and consuming fatty foods.

Scott, on the other hand, set out using gas-powered sledges, which didn't work in the freezing temperatures, and ponies, which quickly died.

If you read the contemporary accounts, especially those written by Amundsen himself and the wonderfully named Apsley Cherry-Garrard, Amundsen's trek was very straightforward and obstacle free.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1583/-3
Reply #1642 on: December 28, 2020, 05:22:14 PM
Amundsen planned to kill and eat the dogs as they became superfluous. Which was regarded as a very un-British thing to do.

I agree MissB, Scott has yo-yo'd from hero to failure, while Shackleton's team's great feat of endurance when they attempted to cross Antarctica in 1917 was largely ignored until relatively recently.  According to the film, Amundsen was treated abysmally by The Royal Geographic Society when he was invited there after reaching the pole.  A great shame that Shackleton was within only 112 miles of the pole in 1909 though.

My ski wear has more thermal protection than the clothing Scott and Shackleton wore.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 02:52:57 PM by ObiDongKenobi »

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline Sweetums

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +97/-1
  • Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Don't listen to me.
Reply #1643 on: December 28, 2020, 11:19:17 PM
The next installment in the ongoing story of squak! This from Founders, Chapter 45.

---

The women’s pheromones were still thick in the air, so around 1 AM, he woke up hard and urgent again. Berte and Aanya were already stirring. He lubed up his cock and then grabbed Aanya by the ankle, dragged her out of the lineup, and crushed her underneath him. She started to scream out her mock rape fantasy thing, but Zach was quick enough and choked her before she awakened and deafened all assembled, “R- squak!

---

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1302/-3
Reply #1644 on: January 02, 2021, 05:18:13 PM
Heard this on TV a couple days ago. Jack Daniels, famous for bourbon was taught how to distill bourbon by a black man. It was a little known story. Called Uncle Nearest, his descendants are now making and selling bourbon under his name.

Full story here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_%22Nearest%22_Green

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #1645 on: January 02, 2021, 05:31:08 PM

That some of James 'Scotty' Doohan's ashes have been hidden on the International Space Station for 12 years.

https://www.techspot.com/news/88092-james-cotty-doohan-ashes-have-hidden-international-space.html

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #1646 on: January 02, 2021, 06:39:17 PM
That the entire country of China has only one time zone.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #1647 on: January 02, 2021, 06:44:25 PM
Heard this on TV a couple days ago. Jack Daniels, famous for bourbon was taught how to distill bourbon by a black man. It was a little known story. Called Uncle Nearest, his descendants are now making and selling bourbon under his name.

Full story here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_%22Nearest%22_Green

Never take a tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery in July. With the heat and humidity, the huge vats emits some foul odors. Plus, the county the distillery is in is a dry county so no free tastes, except for lemonade.  8)

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #1648 on: January 04, 2021, 04:01:58 PM
That 47% of the cities and towns in the United States have a population of less then 1,000 people.

Offline Hood

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +12/-0
Reply #1649 on: January 04, 2021, 10:14:29 PM
Today, I learned that Kristen's Board is a delightful realm to explore. I you ask if I am enjoying my brief exploration, I would respond, "Indubitably, I am!!"

Offline staci

• KB Pervert of the Year 2023
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1835/-28
Reply #1650 on: January 05, 2021, 12:10:28 AM
lol. Wait until you find the Candid Teens thread.

one of the originals

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #1651 on: January 05, 2021, 06:48:23 PM

Or get invited to serve drinks to the hot tub denizens

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2945/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #1652 on: January 05, 2021, 06:56:25 PM

Or get invited to serve drinks to the hot tub denizens

It isnt that bad now, everybody seems to be wanted to get into the bomb shelter.

I learned that today is national bird day.  I immediately thought of our resident bird photographer

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #1653 on: January 05, 2021, 07:49:21 PM

Here's what I learned today:

There's a direct connection between Santa Claus and hookers.

No, Santa and his wife are still happily married, and, despite their ages, their sex life remains robust and vibrant. The old guy has not need to use the service of hookers himself.

However, Saint Nicholas, an actual historical figure who served as a bishop in a city in Turkey in the early 4th century, was the historical model for the figure of Santa Claus (and you don't have to know a word of Greek to see how the name "Santa Claus" derives from Saint Nicholas).

Here's what happened:

St. Nicholas was bishop of a city in Asia Minor -- modern-day Turkey -- on the Mediterranean coast. In that city there was a pious widower who had unmarried young daughters. He was a poor man, his poverty precluded him from providing his daughters with wedding dowries, and he feared that their not being able to marry would condemn them to a life of prostitution. St. Nicholas, realizing the young women’s plight, came to the family’s home on three consecutive nights, each time bearing a bag full of gifts for each of the daughters. The gifts provided them with their needed dowries, and they all happily married.

Today, the Catholic Church considers St. Nicholas to be the Patron Saint of Prostitutes. So, the next time you’re at a Christmas party and went to spark a lively conversation, mention the connection between Santa and prostitutes. You should get some lively responses!

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1654 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:38 PM
Every time I talk about this, the "Ho Ho Ho" thing always comes up.

A little more on that story.  St. Nicholas would drop the coins into the shoes or stockings of the daughters.  The father wanting to know who was leaving the coin stayed up and waited.  St. Nicholas finding the father awake, decide to drop the coin through the chimney of the house...

This could just be an addon to the story to explain why santa uses a chimney and fireplace.

He also the patron saint of postal workers and wolves...

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #1655 on: January 05, 2021, 08:08:57 PM

A little more on that story.  St. Nicholas would drop the coins into the shoes or stockings of the daughters.  The father wanting to know who was leaving the coin stayed up and waited.  St. Nicholas finding the father awake, decide to drop the coin through the chimney of the house...

That makes sense. When we were kids, we celebrated the Austrian custom of leaving your shoes out on the eve of the feast of St. Nicholas (December 6th), and in the morning, they would be filled with little goodies.

On a total tangent, here's why I love KB: I still haven't calmed down from reading the highly erotically charged story that Jules just re-posted, and here I am talking about Austrian religious customs.

Whew!

Offline Hood

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +12/-0
Reply #1656 on: January 05, 2021, 08:14:01 PM
MissBarbara, thanks for that tidbit of information.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1750/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #1657 on: January 05, 2021, 08:21:47 PM

On a total tangent, here's why I love KB: I still haven't calmed down from reading the highly erotically charged story that Jules just re-posted, and here I am talking about Austrian religious customs.

Whew!

I should write about the dream I had the other night.   Still thinking about it days later I think, "Whew!"

I'm not a fiction writer, but it was so vivid.  Maybe I'll take the plunge into fictional fantasy.

I think you might like it.  Story codes would be F,F

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #1658 on: January 05, 2021, 08:47:34 PM

I learned that today is national bird day.  I immediately thought of our resident bird photographer

Not me?  8)

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1659 on: January 05, 2021, 08:51:01 PM

Not me?  8)

Not with that avatar.  :emot_laughing:

The santa/prostitute talk was making me think of you in those tight little undies and dance moves  Watcher the gigilo eagle
 :emot_laughing: