News:

Science Fiction Fan

tagjohnson · 9503

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +392/-9
Reply #40 on: March 31, 2016, 05:59:36 PM
Hey Liz! I started a subreddit on Andre Norton. Why don't you check it out?

Will Do......I like Andre Norton.
One of my favorites is..... "Galactic Derelict".
 :D
Love,
Liz

Offline tagjohnson

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +4/-0
  • HP Lovecraft, my favorite theologian
Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:34 AM
I don't know if anyone here is a Ted Chiang fan but his, "The Story of Your Life" is being made into a movie coming out later this year and stars Amy Adams. I rate it the greatest science fiction short story ever tied with Clarke's "The Star" and Daniel Keyes' "Flowers for Algernon."

SyFyChannelSucks at Yahoo Groups

Offline Elizabeth

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #42 on: April 24, 2016, 03:59:43 PM
Edgar Rice Burroughs - Any of his books.
Even his Tarzan series.
The thing is that with Burroughs you could be on the moon or mars or the center of the earth or the jungle and everywhere in between. It's difficult to find something that is not liked written by him. The only fault you might have is that his writing is dated, but then again its science fiction (except for Tarzan), and he was / is considered a master of the genre that many present day authors learned there own style from him.

Love,
Liz 

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #43 on: June 02, 2016, 06:09:33 AM
H. Beam Piper

Little Fuzzy
Space Viking
The Cosmic Computer
Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Elizabeth

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 03:37:31 PM
Eric Frank Russell

"DEEP SPACE"

But I have to warn anyone interested in this, Russell took the Bible (and some of it's stories) and placed them in a Science Fiction World of Space and a future Earth.
If you are very religious or even some what religious you might want to skip reading this book. However, if you want to pursue any of Russell's books, I can also recommend this one:

"LIKE NOTHING ON EARTH"

By the way "Deep Space" was first published in 1954.

Love,
Liz

Offline Grimly_Feendish

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +1/-0
Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 03:13:07 PM
I'm a big fan of Heinlein. Rocketship Galileo and Have Space Suit--Will Travel were my favorites as a kid.

Hello, Mortals!

Offline Elizabeth

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 09:35:01 PM
I reading a series of books right now that are very good
They first came out in 2008.
The Author is:  Patrick Rothfuss
The titles are:
The Name of the Wind
The Wise Mans Fear
The Slow Regard of Silent Things
3 volume set in that order.

Love,
Liz

Offline Stevie

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +2/-0
Reply #47 on: November 15, 2016, 12:35:29 PM
I loaned my favorite SF book to an ex friend 35 years ago and he did not return it. The book "The Hugo Winners" ed by Isaac Asimov.  He also fucked my wife behind my back and since that time I have really missed several of those short stories including:
"Exploration Team" by Murray Leinster
"The Hell Bound Train" by Robert Bloch
"Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes (became a SiFi classic)
Still living with the wife but the good news is I have just purchased another copy of the book. :D

Offline grendel

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +9/-0
  • Depraved Sadist
Reply #48 on: November 26, 2016, 01:33:52 PM
Lois McMaster Bujold!!!!
Anything she has written is at least 'good' and you will probably find it to be better than you thought the second time you read it.  Very character driven.
Fantasy:  Her best are The Curse of Chalion and The Paladin of Souls ... the second a direct sequel of the first but with a different protagonist.
SF: is the Vorkosigen series ... first is Shards of Honor ...  Best ... is probably Memory though Brothers in Arms is also superior.  Some interesting takes on biomedical tech. 

David Webber
Space Opera:  Honor Harrington books (huge series) ... Honor of the Queen is the best (and second in the series) and worth a read by anyone ... the rest some are great and some average ... but if you've gotten sucked in it works.
Don't ignore the other stuff great action stories for the most part ... tho some descend to being average.  My favorites are Mutineers Moon and its sequels; also Path of the Fury, and Apocalypse Troll. 
Fantasy: The Wargod's Own is great and very funny ... the sequels are OK.

I also just re-read Course of Empire and Crucible of Empire by Eric Flint and K.D. Wentworth.  The first is very good ... and if you like the first you will enjoy tthe second.

David Brin: Sundiver and Star Tide Rising are both outstanding ... the sequels less so in my estimation.

Grendel 
Grendel's Tales

Offline Hilda

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +334/-1
  • Granny Takes a Trip
Reply #49 on: June 27, 2022, 03:55:32 AM
I'm reading Valley Vixn's story Monsters Among Us, about a woman who feeds off men's sexual energy:

https://www.kristensboard.com/forums/index.php?topic=76405.msg628417

I was reminded of a short story by C. L. Moore:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._L._Moore

It's called Black Thirst and is part of the Northwest Smith saga. In Black Thirst, Northwest Smith is led into a vast stone castle, ruled by a timeless being who has for centuries been breeding women for their beauty. Moore describes the effect of transcendent female beauty on Smith. I won't spoil the story for those who haven't read it. Suffice it to say that the effect is overwhelming.

I recommend this and almost any other C. L.Moore story, especially her Jirel of Joiry series.

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline Writers Bloque

• 2022 KB Erotica Writer of the Year
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +216/-4
  • You would think anything this fun would be illegal
Reply #50 on: June 27, 2022, 04:23:03 AM
For me:

Dune, the entire collection.
The Alien books (including alien vs predator.)
All my sins remembered. A good book about an intergalactic assassin recalling how he got to where he was.
Phillip K. Dick, We can remember it wholesale (what was turned into Total Recall.) Do androids dream of electric sheep (blade runner)
Most of Asimov's works, mainly The Last Question.
Bradbury, ofc A sound of thunder, something wicked this way comes, there will come soft rains (saddest short story I feel he has written.) Fahrenheit 451.
George Orwell 1984

Those are some of my library. Right now, I am into light novels based on anime I watch when I can find the time. or alternate history, like Turtledove's altered history take on ww2, every event the same, but with magic, and all.
Also H.G. Wells.

Also not a sci fi book per se, but I also have Gieger's artbook I cannot spell his name right for the love of me. He is the artist who inspired the xenomorphs from Alien/s

View a list of all my stories here

To taste Heaven, one must play in Hell.

Offline Hilda

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +334/-1
  • Granny Takes a Trip
Reply #51 on: July 04, 2022, 05:30:34 AM
Phillip K. Dick, We can remember it wholesale (what was turned into Total Recall.) Do androids dream of electric sheep (blade runner)

I've tried many, many times to get into PKD, but there's something about his style that makes reading his stories difficult for me. I can't put my finger on the reason.

He did come up with some startling concepts, and I've enjoyed almost all the movies based on his stories, but somehow. . . . . <sigh>

I used to be a HUGE science fiction fan and spent most of my pocket money on pulp science fiction magazines sold by a guy at the local open-air market. He did two-for-one exchanges but I preferred to hang on to magazines such as Galaxy and Astounding until they became brittle and fell to pieces. Great stories with amazing artwork.

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• "I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
  • GG
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +510/-59
Reply #52 on: July 04, 2022, 06:34:09 AM
My tastes are mainly Horror and Mystery, but I have simple tastes in Science Fiction, just Star Wars and Star Trek [I'm more of a collector of Star Trek; I have maybe a hundred novels, only read a handful including The Lost Years books (covering the period between the end of the Enterprise's five-year mission and Star Trek: The Motion Picture)].

G.

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1344/-3
Reply #53 on: July 04, 2022, 01:39:15 PM
Been a SF fan most of my life starting in my teens. I remember our high school library had a large anthology of stories from the 40s and 50s. Some of the ideas about nuclear power were crazy sounding even i youn the 1960s, but fun to read.

I don't do as much SF now, but really enjoyed the Expanse series of books. The TV version on Prime followed the books the best of any series.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline phil97405

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +6/-0
  • Bisexual and solosexual
Reply #54 on: December 09, 2022, 06:12:45 AM
I'm definitely a Sci-fi fan!  I don't usually read much classic Sci-fi, but right now I'm in the middle of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.  Also, I saw Iain M. Banks mentioned here.  Yes, I agree-- his Consider Phlebas is excellent.  Also his book Transition is outstanding.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 06:20:17 AM by phil97405 »

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1344/-3
Reply #55 on: December 09, 2022, 01:26:11 PM
Glad to see another S-F fan on here. I'm just finishing book 6 of the foundation series. I'd read the original three books back in the 1970s. Reread them several times too.

I'd lost track when Asimov's publishers encouraged him to pick up the series again. So it's been a treat to revisit the Foundation and read the prequels and new futures Isaac created.

BTW...to be a true Asimov fan you must read "Nightfall". That's the short story that really started his career rolling and is still an exceptional work today

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1687/-3
Reply #56 on: December 09, 2022, 02:41:16 PM

Asimov fan here as well.  I also read the original Foundation trilogy in the 70s; re-reading it and the later books is on my bucket list.

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline anonmyname

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-1
Reply #57 on: May 07, 2023, 09:40:11 PM
I have gotten away from Sci Fi. I liked Heinlein back in the day. He got into sexual themes as he got older. There was one book where there was some older billionaire. He wrote in his will that he wanted his brain transplanted into a healthy young female.  Then his very attractive young assistant is murdered and his brain ends up inside her. He/she later describes the very awkward sexual encounters with men/women.

The Heinlein book Friday is pretty sexual in parts.

Finally, there is the Sci Fi movie Predestination, based on a Heinlein story. Time travel paradoxes and sex/gender. I had to watch it three times to figure it out. Starring Sarah Snook and Ethan Hawk.

Offline Rajah Dodger

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +14/-0
  • It’s not Christmas until Hans Gruber falls!
Reply #58 on: May 20, 2023, 02:36:11 PM
I have gotten away from Sci Fi. I liked Heinlein back in the day. He got into sexual themes as he got older. There was one book where there was some older billionaire. He wrote in his will that he wanted his brain transplanted into a healthy young female.  Then his very attractive young assistant is murdered and his brain ends up inside her. He/she later describes the very awkward sexual encounters with men/women.

The Heinlein book Friday is pretty sexual in parts.

Finally, there is the Sci Fi movie Predestination, based on a Heinlein story. Time travel paradoxes and sex/gender. I had to watch it three times to figure it out. Starring Sarah Snook and Ethan Hawk.

I'll have to look for Predestination.  I know the story you're talking about, maybe "All You Zombies"?
I liked Friday, don't seem to have my paperback any more, and I doubt the local library has it.  Grumble.  Time to see what's at the halfprice bookstore.

My favorite Heinleins are Puppet Masters and Moon is a Harsh Mistress.  I reread Moon probably every five years or so.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Unless you know you're outgunned and have to get the first shot in.

Click here to view my stories