KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Meanwhile, at the US Census Bureau...

Athos_131 · 1797

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-52
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
on: May 11, 2017, 03:05:02 AM

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 03:07:58 AM
Have a link where one does not need to subscribe to read it?  thank you.

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:13:28 AM
No.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:30:31 AM
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/departure-us-census-director-threatens-2020-count

Fixed that 4U...

Yet another opportunity to rid the Senate of a RINO... Murkowsky of AK would do a fine job, am sure... a two-fer, liberal and female... could pass muster on the first vote, I bet... Susan Collins, same... John McCain, Lyndsey, good spot for Comey, who is not working at the moment, and likes the limelight, probably not a bad organizer...

Organizer? Did someone say Organizer? How about Hillary, so she can pay back and all that... reach across the aisle and all that... surely someone effective can be found for this slot...

Why was he extended from his original appointment, one wonders... then bails during his 'extension'... something odd there, at first glance.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:38:16 AM by joan1984 »

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:35:12 AM
You didn't.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:28:37 PM
Have a link where one does not need to subscribe to read it?  thank you.

A subscription is not necessary.  You just need to clear your browsing history.

So why would a GOP led congress not want to properly fund the 2020 census?  Sounds simple.  The GOP got to germander like crazy in 2010 and fix the system to favor them.  They don't want it changed! 

I would remind everyone that the Constitution mandates that a census be completed every 10 years for the purpose of ascertaining correct representation in congress.
  Our elected officials swore an oath to uphold the Constitution.  Not providing for the census is a clear betrayal of that oath.

U.S. Census director resigns amid turmoil over funding of 2020 count
By Tara Bahrampour

The director of the U.S. Census Bureau is resigning, leaving the agency leaderless at a time when it faces a crisis over funding for the 2020 decennial count of the U.S. population and beyond.

John H. Thompson, who has served as director since 2013 and worked for the bureau for 27 years before that, will leave June 30, the Commerce Department announced Tuesday.

The news, which surprised census experts, follows an April congressional budget allocation for the census that critics say is woefully inadequate. And it comes less than a week after a prickly hearing at which Thompson told lawmakers that cost estimates for a new electronic data collection system had ballooned by nearly 50 percent.

“It’s like two trains going down the track toward each other, with Republicans decrying the budget overrun and Democrats saying the census has been underfunded,” Phil Sparks, co-director of the Census Project, a watchdog organization, said of the May 3 hearing before the House Appropriations subcommittee on commerce, justice and science. “This puts the census in the crosshairs both ways.”

No successor for Thompson was announced. A Commerce Department spokesperson said an acting director would be designated “in the coming days” and the position would be filled permanently “in due course.”

The decennial count typically requires a massive ramp-up in spending in the years immediately preceding it, involving extensive testing, hiring and publicity. However, in late April Congress approved only $1.47 billion for the Census Bureau in the 2017 fiscal year, about 10 percent below what the Obama administration had requested. And experts say the White House’s proposed budget for 2018, $1.5 billion, falls far below what is needed.

Compounding the problem, the bureau had hoped to implement a new system that relies more heavily on electronic data collection than in the past. That plan was announced after Congress told the bureau that the cost of the 2020 count could not exceed the cost of the 2010 count; the new system was promoted as a cost-saving measure.

But at the May 3 hearing, Thompson said that a $656 million cost estimate from 2013 for the new system had been off and the current projected cost was $965 million. Despite this, he told the committee that the bureau was “progressing well” toward being ready for 2020.

Rep. John Abney Culberson (R-Tex.), who chairs the committee, said the projected increase was “a real source of concern” and demanded to know how the bureau planned to cut costs.

Neither Census Bureau nor Commerce Department officials responded to questions about why Thompson is leaving now and whether his departure was unexpected. His five-year term expired in December, but he had been widely expected to stay on through at least the end of this year.

“I saw him as recently as two weeks ago, he was feeling very good about where things were, so I must say that this comes as a surprise, and a sad surprise, that he would feel he needed to do this,” said Kenneth Prewitt, who was director during the lead-up to the 2000 Census, when Thompson was associate director. “He’s a very, very competent man.”

In announcing Thompson’s retirement, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross thanked him for his three decades of public service, adding, “Your experience will be greatly missed.”

In a statement released by the Census Bureau, Thompson said resigning now “will allow . . . Secretary Wilbur Ross and the current administration sufficient time to put the proper leadership in place to guide the Census Bureau through the 2020 Census.”

Thompson met with Ross on Monday, said people with knowledge of the situation.

A former Capitol Hill staffer who is knowledgeable about the census said Congress’s mandate for the 2020 Census to cost no more than the 2010 one was unrealistic.

“They’re not accounting for inflation; they’re not accounting for the 30 million more Americans, for the fact that people don’t have hard [telephone] lines anymore. And you’re going to do the census for the same amount of money? That’s not possible.”

He said he didn’t think Thompson had been pushed out, given that there is no clear successor to step in. “His resigning was surprising,” he said.

Rep. José E. Serrano (N.Y.), the ranking Democrat on the commerce, justice and science appropriations subcommittee, called Thompson’s departure “a loss” and added that the bureau needs “robust funding . . . in order to have a successful and accurate operation in 2020. Without strong leadership at the bureau, this vital mission will be imperiled.”

Serrano said he had “no information one way or the other” about whether Thompson was pushed out, but that he “will be exploring this issue further when the Secretary comes to testify before the committee.”

Terri Ann Lowenthal, a former staff director of the House census oversight subcommittee, said she was skeptical that the president would act quickly to nominate a new director. “Considering how many senior administration political appointments remain vacant, I am worried that the nomination could take a while.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/us-census-director-resigns-amid-turmoil-over-funding-of-2020-count/2017/05/09/8f8657c6-34ea-11e7-b412-62beef8121f7_story.html?utm_term=.3841fbf4bdaa

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 04:18:58 AM
The census is also extremely important for the country's infrastructure requirements.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 03:13:25 AM

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3085/-41
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 03:50:57 PM
Thanks Athos and Lois.

Reading this piece, I found these statements almost painfully obvious[1]:

A former Capitol Hill staffer who is knowledgeable about the census said Congress’s mandate for the 2020 Census to cost no more than the 2010 one was unrealistic.

"They’re not accounting for inflation; they’re not accounting for the 30 million more Americans, for the fact that people don’t have hard [telephone] lines anymore.[2][3] And you’re going to do the census for the same amount of money? That’s not possible."

In other words:

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: "Here is the Defense Budget for 2020."

Congressman X (R-MO): Sorry, you can only spend in 2020 what you spent in 2010. Despite inflation, despite almost unimaginable advances in technology, and despite the fact that these new technologies and systems will allow you to perform your job more efficiently and better serve the American people, we're still holding you to the 2010 numbers."

And Athos is spot on. Putting political partisanship aside[4], Census data, once tabulated and finalized, is used for a whole host of purposes, many of them having to do with funding on the state and local level.

So, Republicans, do you want the federal government to be smaller and much more efficient? Then fully fund the 2020 Census. Do you want the Federal government to step to the side and let states and local communities better do their jobs in serving their constituents?[5] Then fully fund the Census, and let the monies flow down to you.

[1] Yes, I'm aware that those on the Right are inclined to miss things that are "painfully obvious" to most others.

[2] Fun fact: Though the common assumption is that foregoing traditional telephone service in favor of mobile technology is a practice of the wealthy, the exact opposite is more true. Many poor families use cheap phones with cheap plans as their sole means of communication.

[3] Historical footnote: The whole Dewey vs. Truman fiasco was the result of this exact same phenomenon. Polling leading up to the 1948 presidential election was conducted chiefly by telephone. At that time, most families who were middle class and above, and who tended to vote Republican, had home telephone service; and most families who were lower class and below did not. Thus, the pollsters contacted chiefly those inclined to vote Republican, with the historically skewed polling data as a result.

[4] Good luck with THAT!

[5] These are the core principles that Republicans themselves offer as the keystones to their political philosophy. So, don't blame me...

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline herschel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +222/-1
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:37:55 PM
Is everyone coming around to the view that the difference between the moral compass of the Mafia and the Washington machine is not enough to put in your eye?

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 08:07:22 AM
My concern is that this will mean that certain communities will be undercounted and lead to disproportionate representation in Congress.  But then I'm thinking that is what some people are counting on.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:26:04 PM

My concern is that this will mean that certain communities will be undercounted and lead to disproportionate representation in Congress.  But then I'm thinking that is what some people are counting on.

It's a very legitimate concern.

As you know, the "under-counted communities" are usually poor, urban communities, who tend to vote Democratic. The fact that they've traditionally been under-counted has been due chiefly to logistics, and not necessarily politics. It's simply much more difficult, for a long list of reasons, to get accurate counts of these communities.

And there lies the irony. The new systems and new technologies for 2020 were specifically designed to reach further into these communities, and thus provide more accurate counts. Going back to pencil and paper will only exacerbate this problem.

P.S. I made a pretty big mistake in my post above. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs doesn't present the Defense budget to Congress, the Secretary of Defense does. But I think the analogy still works...

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 06:07:27 PM
Still, in my view an attack upon the census is an attack upon the Constitution and the foundations of our Democracy.  Sometimes I think such political maneuverings should be tried in court as treason with lots of press coverage to educate the public on the reasons our founding fathers wanted a census every ten years.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 06:43:58 PM

Still, in my view an attack upon the census is an attack upon the Constitution and the foundations of our Democracy.  Sometimes I think such political maneuverings should be tried in court as treason with lots of press coverage to educate the public on the reasons our founding fathers wanted a census every ten years.

I agree with what you're saying, but it's very hard to describe this as unconstitutional, or treason.

The Constitution mentions the Census in Article I, in defining the makeup and powers of Congress, especially proportional representation on a state-by-state basis. It states:

"Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they [Congress] shall by Law direct."

In other words, the Constitution specifically indicates that Congress determines how the Census shall be carried out and, by extension, how it's funded. It's worth noting that the Constitution doesn't use the word "census" here (though it does further on when discussing taxes).

So, despite our opinions of Congress's current machinations regarding the Census, there's nothing explicitly unconstitutional.

Nonetheless, I couldn't agree more with you that there must be a much greater effort "to educate the public on the reasons our founding fathers wanted a census every ten years." Education and Information are the keys to helping "we, the people" be much smarter and much more discerning in choosing our Congressional members.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 06:19:57 AM
THank you for pointing out what, exactly, the constitution states.  Over time the nation has depended on the census to determine how to apportion seats in Congress, so I assumed the wording was more pointed and clear.

So I agree, not exactly treason and yet breaking the spirit of the law while not breaking the letter of the law, IMO.

And yes, Americans need to be better educated concerning our essential institutions.  I wish I knew of a way to do this, but since many can't differentiate between facts and propaganda I'm not sure it's going to happen.

_priapism

Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 04:22:12 PM
America will be a "minority majority" country in 2044.  There's nothing that can be done to stop it, or slow it down.  Whites will be members of the fastest shrinking minority group in America, from that point on.  Time waits for no man.  All of this screaming MAGA is just a bunch of mother fucking racists who can't accept there is no "manifest destiny," that "America is [not] the greatest country in the world," and God really doesn't give a shit about your problems.  Wake up whities.   Your days are numbered.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1313/-3
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 04:30:19 PM
I've seen this a few years ago.  The birth rates for whites is falling, while minorities birth rates remain higher.  Plus, most immigrants to this country are non whites. 

Do I feel threatened...Nah!  Maybe I'm just to old to give a fuck. :D 

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

ChirpingGirl

Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 07:29:12 PM
What a utopia it will be when my grandchildren are minorities.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:20:02 PM by Lois »

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 01:09:46 AM
What a utopia it will be when my grandchildren are minorities.

I'd be really interested to see what source this comes from.

#Resist
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:29:18 PM by Lois »

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 03:10:58 PM