KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Test May Reveal The Severity Of A Child's Concussion  (Read 80 times)
MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 1729

« on: June 16, 2017, 03:13:42 PM »

Spit Test May Reveal The Severity Of A Child's Concussion

A little spit may help predict whether a child's concussion symptoms will subside in days or persist for weeks.

A test that measures fragments of genetic material in saliva was nearly 90 percent accurate in identifying children and adolescents whose symptoms persisted for at least a month, a Penn State team told the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in San Francisco, Calif. In contrast, a concussion survey commonly used by doctors was right less than 70 percent of the time.

If the experimental test pans out, "a pediatrician could collect saliva with a swab, send it off to the lab and then be able to call the family the next day," says Steven Hicks, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Penn State Hershey. Hicks helped develop the test and consults for a company that hopes to market concussion tests.

More here:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/05/04/526782407/spit-test-may-reveal-the-severity-of-a-child-s-concussion?sc=17&f=1001&utm_source=iosnewsapp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=app

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

redhatlover
Freakishly Strange

Fame 237

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »

That is great news!

I am like Charlie the Tuna.  I don't want women with good taste, I want women who taste good.
MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 1729

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »

That is great news!

Yes, it certainly is.

Sports concussions has become a borderline obsession with me (I'm not sure why), and this is the first positive news on this front I've heard in a while.

Youth soccer has been taking this very seriously. In many leagues across the country, heading the ball is banned under a certain age (around 12 or so). I'm of two minds about this: Heading is such an integral part of the game, and telling kids they can't head the ball takes away a key element. But the potential for serious head trauma is obvious, so I reluctantly support it.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

redhatlover
Freakishly Strange

Fame 237

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »

Maybe this will lead to more diagnosis and help for adult victims of concussion, especially for GI's in the field.

I am like Charlie the Tuna.  I don't want women with good taste, I want women who taste good.
MintJulie
Version 7.4
Freakishly Strange

Fame 189

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:11:44 PM »

This is very good news.   

My friends daughter was talking about it.   She is coaching Parks and Rec softball and had to take an online course to help recognize signs of concussion.   I didn't necessarily scoff at it, but I thought it was going overboard with a bunch of 8 year olds playing with a rubber coated ball.   

She played soccer in high school and said that all sports in our school system do baselines in the freshman and junior years.   On her senior year of soccer, there were 12 concussions.  I was amazed.    The football team has censors in the helmet and there are two people monitoring these censors live.   I was amazed they do this.   

Good to see another tool to recognize possible head injuries.

"Remember this is just a message board, please do not take stuff so seriously" - A KB member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: