KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Justice: The system continues to fail black people  (Read 714 times)
GEMINIGUY
"I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
Burnt at the stake

Fame 287

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »

Fuck that! HIS FIRST DUTY IS TO PROTECT AND SERVE. TOO MANY POLICE OFFICERS HAVE BEEN KILLING TOO MANY PEOPLE UNJUSTLY THEN EXCUSING THEIR ACTIONS BY SAYING SAYING THEY FELT THEIR LIFE WAS IN DANGER WHEN WE WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY WERE THINKING, THEY'RE MOST LIKELY JUST COVERING THEIR ASS.
Even if that guy HAD pulled out a gun, the officer still would have had time to shoot IF necessary and only one or two times not fifty. My God, the man was doing what he was told, reaching for his wallet to get his ID and he gets fucking shot! What can of life is that to be afraid that the people that Protect and Serve are going to shoot us for doing as we're told to do?!?

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant
GEMINIGUY
Burnt at the stake

Fame 287

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

Here's another idea. If all of these Police Officers weren't just "getting their gun off", why didn't they just tazzer the suspect? If you can cold-bloodly take a life like swatting a fly and feel zero remorse, guilt, what ever after, you shouldn't be a Police Officer. Life is too precious to take it away from someone just because you THINK your life is in danger.

phtlc
Freakishly Strange

Fame 190

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »

Fuck that! HIS FIRST DUTY IS TO PROTECT AND SERVE. TOO MANY POLICE OFFICERS HAVE BEEN KILLING TOO MANY PEOPLE UNJUSTLY THEN EXCUSING THEIR ACTIONS BY SAYING SAYING THEY FELT THEIR LIFE WAS IN DANGER WHEN WE WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY WERE THINKING, THEY'RE MOST LIKELY JUST COVERING THEIR ASS.

Again, we can't judge this situation in the context of what other officers are doing. We have to look at it in isolation.

Neither you or I know what they were "most likely" doing

Even if that guy HAD pulled out a gun, the officer still would have had time to shoot IF necessary and only one or two times not fifty

I don't have the training to agree or disagree

My God, the man was doing what he was told, reaching for his wallet to get his ID and he gets fucking shot!

There is no evidence of what happened before the shooting

While you're waiting in vain for that apology, why don't you make yourself useful by getting on your knees and opening your mouth
Merovingian
Total freak

Fame 32

Yes, it's me.

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »

GEMINIGUY
Burnt at the stake

Fame 287

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »

Are you the lawyer for the Police, Phtlc?!?

MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 1729

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »

Seem's justice comes down to who puts on the best "show" for the jury.

No, justice is nothing of the sort. Justice is getting your day in court. The ruling goes to the side that presents the best case and that's the way it has to work.

Exactly!

Receiving a verdict that you disagree with -- or that is contrary to what you want -- isn't a lack of justice.

I've gone off on this here before (and I'll refrain from repeating myself), but today the words "justice" and "injustice" have been misused to the point that they've both been rendered meaningless.

Today, "justice" has become synonymous with "payback" or "revenge." And that's not justice at all.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Katiebee
Shield Maiden
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 801

Achieving world domination, one body at a time.

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »

The duty of a person who becomes a Police Officer is to Protect and Serve. Not to play God and take lives like so many Police Officers have been doing.

Self defence is not playing god. Furthermore we should look at each case independently and no allow any frustration from other police shootings to impair our judgement on this one.

Here is the crux of the matter. Self-defense is when the opponent has struck you or offered physical violence in some manner.

If an officer had drawn his weapon and the opponent is seated in a vehicle wth his hands observable by the officer and the officer shoots BEFORE he sees a weapon (in this case a firearm), then it is an unprovoked shooting, e.g. Manslaughter.

That is why acquittal is not appropriate in this case.

It is not fear for his life, there was no observable threat. There was no drawn weapon. This incident was in broad daylight. The victim was drawing his wallet to produce the demanded ID.  It was an unprovoked shooting.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:36:55 PM by Katiebee » Logged

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.
JulesVern
Total freak

Fame 34

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »

I don't particularly agree with this one either. Suicide by definition is something you do to yourself and he had apparently tried numerous times before.
phtlc
Freakishly Strange

Fame 190

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 05:59:01 PM »

Are you the lawyer for the Police, Phtlc?!?

Nope. I'm just trying to exercise some objectivity instead of jumping on the outrage bandwagon.

While you're waiting in vain for that apology, why don't you make yourself useful by getting on your knees and opening your mouth
phtlc
Freakishly Strange

Fame 190

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »

The duty of a person who becomes a Police Officer is to Protect and Serve. Not to play God and take lives like so many Police Officers have been doing.

Self defence is not playing god. Furthermore we should look at each case independently and no allow any frustration from other police shootings to impair our judgement on this one.

Here is the crux of the matter. Self-defense is when the opponent has struck you or offered physical violence in some manner.

If an officer had drawn his weapon and the opponent is seated in a vehicle wth his hands observable by the officer and the officer shoots BEFORE he sees a weapon (in this case a firearm), then it is an unprovoked shooting, e.g. Manslaughter.

It is not fear for his life, there was no observable threat. There was no drawn weapon. This incident was in broad daylight. The victim was drawing his wallet to produce the demanded ID.  It was an unprovoked shooting.

I don't know US self defence law and I'm certainly not saying the cop handled this appropriately. All I'm saying is that we have limited information and based on what video we do have the cop seemed to be almost hysterical. Panic is probably not a criminal offense, but it is a trait we can't have in people who carry guns so perhaps that is why he was not found guilty of any crimes but was fired from the force.

phtlc
Freakishly Strange

Fame 190

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »

Exactly!

Receiving a verdict that you disagree with -- or that is contrary to what you want -- isn't a lack of justice.

I've gone off on this here before (and I'll refrain from repeating myself), but today the words "justice" and "injustice" have been misused to the point that they've both been rendered meaningless.

Today, "justice" has become synonymous with "payback" or "revenge." And that's not justice at all.

Precisely.

Katiebee
Shield Maiden
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 801

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »

It is not fear for his life, there was no observable threat. There was no drawn weapon. This incident was in broad daylight. The victim was drawing his wallet to produce the demanded ID.  It was an unprovoked shooting.

I don't know US self defence law and I'm certainly not saying the cop handled this appropriately. All I'm saying is that we have limited information and based on what video we do have the cop seemed to be almost hysterical. Panic is probably not a criminal offense, but it is a trait we can't have in people who carry guns so perhaps that is why he was not found guilty of any crimes but was fired from the force.
There is no defensible legal claim to preventive self-defense even for law enforcement. You cannot act violently in a pre-emptive manner. English law, Canadian law, and U.S. law are in agreement. Act violently before privocarion and you are the aggressor. This officer got off lightly because the jury didn't understand that facet of law.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.
Katiebee
Shield Maiden
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 801

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »

If I carry a gun concealed as I am entitled to by my license, it will normally be in my purse, where I also carry my ID.

I will inform an officer that I am entitled to carry and whether I am or not. I really don't want to be shot by some yahoo when I go to produce my ID.

Tony V.
Degenerate

Fame 7

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »

I have recently retired after Thirty years as a Police Officer. I retired with the Rank of Leiutenant, and among My qualificztijjs, are Field Training Officer, and Instructor.

The fact that a Police Officer was Put on Trial for Murdering a motorist, whom HAD declared he was ARMED, and was shot to death by the Officer whom pulled him over, is a result of the Justice System trying to say this Officer had erred in shooting this motorist.

The fact that he was found Not Guilty shows the Justice System WORKS!!

Remember, the motorist in question informed the Officer he was ARMED. This goes to procedure. IF you are ARMED, you MUST inform the Officer you are when he or she approaches the vehicle.

Now, having pulled over about 2,000 vehicles in My thirty years, you MUST follow a strictly structured set of Procedures. You don't know whom is in the vehicle. You don't know if there is a wanted Felon, or a woman in the stress of Labor in that vehicle. This is why the Officer has you exit, if it is safe to do so.

Now, as to you thinking ALL Cops are loudmouthed assholes when they pull you over, or confront.you in the street, there is a REASON!!

I, as an Officer, DO NOT have to give you the benefit of the doubt as to your intentions!! If I approach you on the street, or in your vehicle, and you make a movement they I perceive as hostile, I can, and am Legally within My Right to SHOOT you!! Let Me repeat that. If you make a move that the Officer perceives as hostile, you WILL be SHOT!!

When I first Graduated Academy back in 1980, we had a specific Policy, called the "Escalation of Force." This drew out the steps I could take when presented with a specific situation. For example, you disobey an Order from Me, I can draw My Baton. You approach Me after an admonition to stop, and I WILL use that Baton. This went up to Deadly Force.

Over the years, this Policy was discarded, as it cost too many Officers Lives. Now, the Officer can Draw His or Her Sidearm at ANY time!!

The act that cost the motorist his life, was when he reached his hands into his vehicle. Remember, I DO NOT have to give you the benefit of the doubt as to your intentions. As soon as the Officer loses sight of your hands, and you have informed the Officer you are ARMED, the Officer can draw only ONE conclusion......

The Officer should have had the motorist in question step away from the vehicle, and the passenger, then waited for back up to arrive.......

"Just turn around, put your hands behind your back, and do what the Officer tells you."
Lois
Super Freak
Burnt at the stake

Fame 517

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »

The problem is that this cop drew a conclusion I doubt he would have drawn if he'd pulled over a white man.  And because of this a son, a father, a boyfriend, is now dead.  This is not okay.  Don't say it is.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: