• Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #80 on: April 28, 2018, 06:58:35 PM
I said ‘I heard’.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #81 on: April 29, 2018, 03:34:49 AM
I've never heard of mirepoix.  Kinda sounds like a disease.  Where would I find it?

psiberzerker

Reply #82 on: April 29, 2018, 05:54:01 AM
Produce dept?  It's just celery, carrots, and onion.  Basically stew vegetables.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #83 on: April 29, 2018, 05:54:43 AM
I've never heard of mirepoix.  Kinda sounds like a disease.  Where would I find it?

Onions, carrots and celery sautéed.  It’s a combination that provides good flavor to anything savory.  Psi was putting it in stuffing, can’t say I disagree.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #84 on: April 30, 2018, 07:52:12 AM

Onions, carrots and celery sautéed.  It’s a combination that provides good flavor to anything savory.  Psi was putting it in stuffing, can’t say I disagree.

Sounds good.  I usually start most of my soups using those ingredients.

psiberzerker

Reply #85 on: April 30, 2018, 11:11:12 PM
Sounds good.  I usually start most of my soups using those ingredients.

Now you know the name.  Yeah, it's the basis for most of the western world's soups, stocks and stews, and there's variations on it around the world.

"sauteed" is one of those occam's razor steps, depending on the recipe.  Basically, you don't have to with some soups, but with others (Like Gumbo, and Jambalaya) the scorch flavors the dish.  (In this case, the rice.  Same with Spanish Rice, substituting tomatoes.  Dirty rice, beans'n rice...)

I stuff the bird with it in stew (1.5"-2") chunks, raw, because you're going to roast it anyway.  Slow cooker, any roasting method works, I've done Turkey in a Hole that way, and it came out fantastic.  The point is the drippings are a concentrated turkey (Chicken, goose...) stock.  Which is great for the leftovers, if any.  it is now my official recipe for my Yule Goose Gravy.

Lots of substitutions here, one of my favorites is sweet potatoes/yams in lieu of the carrots.  I've also use rutabega+mirepoix.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:16:33 PM by psiberzerker »