KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Vacation! What do you do for vacation, and what is your dream vacation?

Jed_ · 3611

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1771/-23
  • Madame Sheriff

Yay, have fun.

All the National Parks are a must see for me when I'm near one of them while vacationing.    I hope to get to Acadia soon.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
One of my favorite vacations 12 years ago: 5 weeks island-hopping the Caribbean.  :emot-heartbeat:
Cozumel, Mexico
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Roatan, Honduras
Grand Cayman
Jamaica
Aruba
Bonaire
Trinidad
Grenada
St. Lucia
Dominica
Antigua
Tortola BVI
Turks & Caicos
Puerto Rico
ending with a week in the Bahamas on the Aqua Cat liveaboard (scuba boat)

I blew about $35K USD on that trip.  :D

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

Offline herschel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +222/-1
Vermont ski week in November
Northern Quebec lake trout fishing in June
Nantucket striper fishing in November
New Jersey tuna fishing in August
Tuckerman's Ravine skiing in May
New York jazz clubbing in December
Puerto Rico suckling pig roast in January
Crewing to Bermuda on my buddy's cup-winning trimaran in July

_priapism

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake

Ahhhh, Bora Bora.  I looked at that, but all of the nicer resorts are $600 a night and up.  The reefs are amazingly unspoiled, and make for some great scuba diving.

edit: they were $600 a night 10+ years ago, probably higher now.

IdleBoast

I'd like to fly to one coast of the USA, hire a camper van, and spend weeks driving to the other, staying off the big highways the whole time.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
This is actually something I plan to do one summer.   My parents had a camper when I was little and I loved when we took trips.   I hope to have a camper in the next 5-10 years

On many of my trips down to Florida in my 20's and 30's I would drive a car.   I would get off the expressway many times and just drive to explore small town America.   One year I didn't even make it to Florida.  I ended up in North Carolina.  I just let myself get lost.  It was one of my best vacations.

I can't wait for the day I have no obligations or commitments where I can just get lost again.

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1620/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
MJ - it's called riding the blue highways. Taking the back roads through small, interesting towns that were bypassed when the interstates were built. People on a time constraint miss out on it.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

_priapism

MJ - it's called riding the blue highways. Taking the back roads through small, interesting towns that were bypassed when the interstates were built. People on a time constraint miss out on it.

:sign_ihavenothingtoadd:  My little town is on a US Hwy that the Interstate passed. So glad that it did.  Don’t tell the tourists.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Based on the news this evening, everyone is changing their vacation plans from the Dominican Republic to Chernobyl, a slightly less toxic location.  Seriously, in addition to the recent deaths and sicknesses in the Dominican Republic, apparently an HBO special has piqued interest in touring the site of a nuclear meltdown.  At least according to CNN.

IdleBoast

Oh, no - in the UK the blue highways are the ones to avoid.

(I guess "riding the yellow highway" doesn't have quite the ring to it...)

psiberzerker

Orbit.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Highways

Read this back in the 1980s.

psiberzerker

Back in the day, before we had Satnav apps, we had maps, and even today the Major arteries are yellow, or orange (Depending on the Navigator) the back roads are usually just blue lines.  Confusing when you got to a bridge, then try to look up the name of the street, only to find that it's a straight concrete culvert in the middle of Arizona (The valley of the Spun is covered in them) instead of a short-cut between neighborhoods. 

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
Tried to haul my 24ft travel trailer a back way into Chaco Canyon New Mexico 2 years ago only to find the way blocked.  The map I was using seemed to show it as a well developed road, except in reality it was a challenging jeep path not even open anymore for jeeps.  I had a rather hairy time navigating out of there that included backing up multiple time into rough desert and towing the trailer across a sand filled dry riverbed almost getting stuck multiple times.

I’m a little more skeptical about road conditions based on maps now.

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/120400990008102398/  < lots of nice photos  :D

I'd like to take a 2 or 3 week tour of central England on a canal narrowboat.

There's a number of loop or circle canals in the center of the country, so you could cruise for a few weeks and never see the same scenery twice.  The countryside looks stellar in all of the photos I've seen.  I think I'd pass on London, though (the first pic) as it's too crowded.

_priapism

I’ve taken a short canal tour between Bath and Bristol.  Great scenery and history.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
I once drove to a town just north of Yosemite to visit my sister.  I took what was marked as a minor highway as a shortcut.  It soon became a dirt road.  Once I had to get out and move some rocks from a rock-slide so I could get through.  Another stop was for some cows that decided the road was the perfect place to chew their cud.

I finally made it to the end, and my gas tank was on empty!

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
I once drove to a town just north of Yosemite to visit my sister.  I took what was marked as a minor highway as a shortcut.  It soon became a dirt road.  Once I had to get out and move some rocks from a rock-slide so I could get through.  Another stop was for some cows that decided the road was the perfect place to chew their cud.

I finally made it to the end, and my gas tank was on empty!

In 2016 I was in Yellowstone, and several times I was caught in traffic due to a herd of bison either in the road or everyone stopped to look at them.  The first few times it was nice seeing how the bison had recovered in the park since I was last there in 1972 as a boy.  But after a while the traffic jams grew tiresome.  By the time I got to the Badlands NP and just wanted to get to my campsite and eat and sleep, a herd of bison was still a nice sight but also a delay.  So aghast to all the other tourists, I just went around all the other vehicles and slowly rolled towards the herd.  Turns out even 2000 pound bison will get out of the way when a 7000 pound truck is coming at them, that herd parted like Moses did the Red Sea.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff

....caught in traffic due to a herd of bison either in the road or everyone stopped to look at them. ..... But after a while the traffic jams grew tiresome...........aghast to all the other tourists, I just went around all the other vehicles and slowly rolled towards the herd.  Turns out even 2000 pound bison will get out of the way when a 7000 pound truck is coming at them, that herd parted like Moses did the Red Sea.

8 letters, starts with an F.  Ends in a D. 
A grump. Party Pooper.  No fun.

Oh, I got it.     F U D D Y D U D

;D,
Jules

Version 9.15
POY 2016