KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

COMMON MISTAKES TO AVOID

Guest · 3661

wayne3218

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 08:49:03 PM
It’s not just KB authors that have trouble spelling.

How many times do I have to tell you it’s ‘heart-rending’ and ‘gut-wrenching’? Please avoid confusing the two.

psiberzerker

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2018, 08:51:22 PM

"F that!"

Shit, wrong image.  I try to avoid that.  Thank god for the Edit button!  (I'm sure He had something to do with that.  Being Perfect, and all.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:54:15 PM by psiberzerker »

_priapism

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2018, 11:21:17 PM
Just because I’m a cynical asshole, doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy seeing a Grammar Nazi put a “correct” word among a list of words to “avoid.”

Spelling.  Not grammar, spelling is how you spell a word.  Grammar is how you use words in a sentence.  There's also Diction, which is the whole shebang.

Since we're grading each other on our English.  incidentally, thank you Remmy.  For providing this thread for us to nitpick language.

Grammar Nazi (plural Grammar Nazis) (slang, idiomatic) A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others.

If the shoe fits, by all fucking means, wear it.

psiberzerker

Reply #23 on: December 01, 2018, 11:25:48 PM
If the shoe fits, by all fucking means, wear it.

I am, I'm stomping around, and running a 4 minute mile in it.  I'm nit picking, it's the fucking nitpicking thread!

Another one is Monosylabic.  Am I the only one that sees something wrong with that word?

"Deja vu all over again," And Sahara Desert, Hot Water Heater, Fuji Mountain.  American English is fucked. 

Remington555

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 03:50:10 PM
Just because I’m a cynical asshole, doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy seeing a Grammar Nazi put a “correct” word among a list of words to “avoid.”

Spelling.  Not grammar, spelling is how you spell a word.  Grammar is how you use words in a sentence.  There's also Diction, which is the whole shebang.

Since we're grading each other on our English.  incidentally, thank you Remmy.  For providing this thread for us to nitpick language.

First of all, I didn't start this thread to nitpick language. My intention was for it to be informational and helpful, especially relative to the written word.

Maybe I should have called it COMMON MISTAKES TO AVOID IN WRITING IF YOU WANT TO AT LEAST LOOK LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING.

I hold myself to a slightly higher standard than average when it comes to grammar, spelling and punctuation (GSP). That's because of my education and specialized training I've had in the usage of proper English, specifically as it pertains to written works.

No one uses entirely proper English in speaking or writing all the time, but there are standards of usage which are outlined in such a book as the AP Style Guide.

I'm not saying that no one should ever use words like 'afterwards' or 'anyways' or countless other words that are commonly used.

I'm merely pointing out that they are considered to be slang and not proper (or formal) English. Therefore, they should not be used in written work unless it is for a specific reason.

Secondly, I do not consider myself to be a GSP Nazi (or fascist). To my knowledge, I have never taken it upon myself to point out or correct any individual person's grammar or spelling or punctuation (excluding jobs I've had where that's what I was being paid to do).

Outside of a professional setting it's just not my place to do so. Instead, I started this thread to talk about some words which are sometimes used incorrectly so people are at least aware of them.

One thing I think we can all agree on (I hope) and that is the American English language is full of stupid, illogical and barely comprehensible rules. For example: Cry, Crying, Cryed Cried

Go figure.

Remmy

psiberzerker

Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 09:26:33 PM
I didn't start this thread to nitpick language. My intention was for it to be informational and helpful, especially relative to the written word.

Fair enough, my mistake.

I'm not saying that no one should ever use words like 'afterwards' or 'anyways' or countless other words that are commonly used.

One play where it's useful, as is run-on sentences, and "Uhm..."  Is in spoken word, where people's diction is a little less rigid, because they're thinking while they talk.  In a forum like this, or on social media, they at least have the opportunity to read what they wrote, or pause...

In the middle of a thought, and go on without being interrupted, because it's not realtime.  Not really even a dialog, though admittedly some people don't seem to use the opportunity to think about what they say before they post it.

I kinda specialize in people talking like 4th graders.  For example, a 4th grader is not going to write with the same diction as her Teacher.  On the assumption that the teachers have more to teach them, before they get to take Creative Writing as an elective (Around 10th Grade.)

So anyways, it helps me think more like a 4th grade student, talking to her teacher, if she doesn't talk like an English Professor.  In fact, realistically, she shouldn't.  Jos Wheadon is a master of this, to the point that TVtropes coined the phrase Buffyspeak.  I've been trying to get them to do a page on the opposite, Veronica Mars Verbosity, but if you're familiar with that show, it's about the best example.

She's gifted, I get that.  However, all of her friends talked like they were giving an oral examination in Social Studies.  In high school.  Not trying to derail your thread here, again, but I do think it's a fantastic topic.  How people actually speak, compared with the way they are supposed to speak.

Particularly in stories where they make excuses for having sex with their 4th grade students, for example.

psiberzerker

Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 09:32:56 PM
Either/Nor is boolean, but a fusion of or/not.  Nor, that's how I remember it, while in English they used the word Neither as a mnemonic.  If ti's a statement where it could be phrased as a neither, not an either, than it's an nor.  Which is needlessly complicated, so to simplify, Nor is appropriate when it's Not or.  Nor.  

Likewise, and I.  Jonny, and I, not me, and Jonny, but you always put the proper noun first.  Jonny, and...  Me, or I?  Well, if you take the Jonny And out of the sentence, would you say I, or Me?  Just put Jonny And.. in front of the proper pronoun, and take it from there, or just use We.

These are 2 of my favorites for denoting a character who wants to sound more urbane, and intellectual.  They use Nor, and I incorectly, because "Nor" sounds more proper than "Or" whether it is, or not.  It's not like people know when it's proper most of the time anyways.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:36:30 PM by psiberzerker »

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 11:22:04 PM

I think you missed that last one... it's hard to tell with you sometimes.  ;-)

NOR = NEITHER or NOT

In the computer world, NOR is the negated version of OR, so NOT-OR (neither one)

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

psiberzerker

Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 12:45:24 AM

I think you missed that last one.[/br]

At least it's not a common mistake?

Remington555

Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 01:39:48 PM

Santa Claus or Santa Clause

Santa Claus is a kindly old man who lives at the North Pole with Mrs. Claus and supervises an untold number of elf toymakers who work all year making toys so Santa Claus can magically deliver them to boys and girls around the world on Christmas.

In various countries outside of the United States, he is also known as Saint Nicholas, Kris Kringle or Father Christmas.

Santa Clause, The The first of three Christmas themed movies starring Tim Allen as an ordinary man who becomes Santa Claus because of a clause (hence the movie title) attached to the Santa suit.

Remmy

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1574/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 08:42:36 PM

One thing I think we can all agree on (I hope) and that is the American English language is full of stupid, illogical and barely comprehensible rules. For example: Cry, Crying, Cryed Cried

Go figure.

Remmy

My father, who spoke no English when he came to this country, always maintained that of the five languages he could fluently speak, American English was the hardest for him to learn because of all the illogical rules.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

psiberzerker

Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 09:01:20 PM
American English was the hardest for him to learn because of all the illogical rules.

Yeah, that's basically it.  It doesn't follow it's Own rules, and unless you're a college level Literature professor, you basically can't keep up.  The language is in flux, it has been for centuries, and it continues to evolve all around you.  Keeping track of all of it, even within our own lifetimes is basically a full time job, for academics.  For example, "Ebonics" was called "Jive" back in the 70s.  

So, if you're writing a story, set in the 70s-to-80s (Yes, 1980 was the end of the 70s.  So, they spoke 70s Jive) any black characters would be anachronistic if they started using modern phrases like "Hip-hop" before the term "Rap" hadn't even become widespread as a recognized musical style, much less a Dance style.  

In fact, the 1st song, that made it to the top 40, that involved a rap, and had the phrase "Hip-hop" in it wasn't Rapper's Delight.  It was Rapture, by Blondie, in 1981.  So, for writers, I believe it's better to keep in mind what the Characters have in mind, rather than try to avoid perfectionists corecting my diction.  Especially when writing characters in grade school, who haven't learned the difference between there, they're, and their yet.

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-52
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 09:24:05 PM

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 06:21:46 AM
Known fact, known fact!!!!

Wir müssen korrekte Grammatik haben!
Ist das alles klar?

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 06:37:32 AM
American English was the hardest for him to learn because of all the illogical rules.

Yeah, that's basically it.  It doesn't follow it's Own rules, and unless you're a college level Literature professor, you basically can't keep up.  The language is in flux, it has been for centuries, and it continues to evolve all around you.  Keeping track of all of it, even within our own lifetimes is basically a full time job, for academics.  For example, "Ebonics" was called "Jive" back in the 70s.  

So, if you're writing a story, set in the 70s-to-80s (Yes, 1980 was the end of the 70s.  So, they spoke 70s Jive) any black characters would be anachronistic if they started using modern phrases like "Hip-hop" before the term "Rap" hadn't even become widespread as a recognized musical style, much less a Dance style.  

In fact, the 1st song, that made it to the top 40, that involved a rap, and had the phrase "Hip-hop" in it wasn't Rapper's Delight.  It was Rapture, by Blondie, in 1981.  So, for writers, I believe it's better to keep in mind what the Characters have in mind, rather than try to avoid perfectionists corecting my diction.  Especially when writing characters in grade school, who haven't learned the difference between there, they're, and their yet.
Psi, there is a vast difference between coined words, which you illustrated, and grammar rules. The former are an attempt to describe a concept, the latter describes how to construct sentences in a standard manner for comprehension.

The reason that English grammar rules are confusing, and appear to be contradictory or obtuse, is that English is a fusion of words from different language groups. English by the nature of its physical location, and history of the people who speak it has grown by borrowing words to enhance description of concepts. English has Fresian pronunciation loaded upon Saxon and Angles language. All three are Germanic root languages. It incorporates a great many Greek, Latin, and French words. The Romance languages have a different grammar structure than the Germanic.

To further complicate matters, English uses different words to describe the same items. This dichotomy arose from differentiation of social classes after the Norman invasion. Anglo-Saxon descriptive words predominate in the field, while Norman French derived words dominate in the drawing room. Making the two coordinate in grammar was a centuries long struggle. It produced what we have today.

Which is a lack of gender for nouns and verbs, a flattening (reduction) of tenses, and a mixture of spelling structures and pronunciation.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:41:47 AM by Katiebee »

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

psiberzerker

Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 11:52:19 AM
Psi, there is a vast difference between coined words, which you illustrated, and grammar rules. The former are an attempt to describe a concept, the latter describes how to construct sentences in a standard manner for comprehension.

I know that, but that doesn't mean that everyone talks, or writes "Proper" English, and there's also regional differences.  I wasn't talking Proper English, and even if I was, my schizotypal grammar would make me a hypocrite for doing so.  I struggle with grammar that people can understand, and you know it.

However, so do 5th graders.  Not only is this site full of 12 year olds that love their daddies even more after they come in their rooms at night, and expose them to their friends, they also speak, and write (When her PoV is even presented) like Adults.  For example.

There's also regional differences, and slang, and intentionally ungrammatical saying like "It is what it is," or "Déjà vu all over again."  It also changes over time, but treating Proper English as something people actually use, all the time, perfectly (Most of these fantasies are perfect people with perfect lives, who never struggle or want for anything) perfect speling, and perfect grammar, always aren't believable people.  

Unless that's what you want to believe.  Unless she's an English teacher, and even then, most of them they make mistakes.  I think the standards may be too high, when we're talking about her screaming "Fuck me daddy!" when she has a gushing orgasm.

With perfect diction.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:57:56 AM by psiberzerker »

Remington555

Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 01:03:19 PM

Ist das alles klar?

Sorry, can you translate? I don't speak French.   ;D

Remmy

Offline Army of One

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +192/-2
Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 08:17:48 AM

Ist das alles klar?

Sorry, can you translate? I don't speak French.   ;D

Remmy

...That was German. And--and I'm just spitballing this translation, since I have no fluency in German, but do know that Modern English is strongly influenced by it--she may be talking about grammar.

Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

psiberzerker

Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 08:25:31 AM
Grammar Nazis.  Methinks.

Offline Army of One

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +192/-2
Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 11:53:40 AM

Ist das alles klar?
Courtesy of Google Translate:
We have to have correct grammar!
Is that all clear?

So Psi may be close with the Grammar Nazi thing.

Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.