watcher1 · 1147

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
on: May 13, 2010, 05:46:30 AM

AHMEDABAD, India --
Scientists and doctors in India are investigating an 82-year old yogi's claim that he has survived without food or water for 70 years.

Prahlad Jani, who is also called Mataji, said he survives on energy that he is able to generate within himself.

A team of 35 top doctors from the Defense Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences is currently studying Jani's case.

"If we understand this phenomenon, we can work out strategies to tell people how to survive without food and water," said Dr. G. Ilavazhagam, the institute's director.

So far, they have found no rational or scientific explanation. But they do admit they are puzzled.

"He is able to generate urine in his bladder," Dr. Sudhair Shah said. "And at his will, he is able to re-circulate in his body. This is exceptional in the medical world."

"It certainly makes us intrigued that the yogic `kriyas' that he does apparently can help us to control our physiological functions," said professor Anil Gupta, director of the Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institutions.

Institute officials said unlocking the mystery could help soldiers survive in hostile environments.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline insatiable

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +557/-2
  • Insatiably Insatiable.
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:28:33 AM
This was a given a high Importance in the news media here. Though I am wary of such claims, but with some known names in science researching the case, it may held some truth.

Something about something by someone important.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:00:03 PM
Nice fairytale. People usually die after just 3 days without water.

There is the Rule of 3.  A person can live 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water and 3 minutes without oxygen. I guess there will always be exceptions. But 70 years?

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline RopeFiend

• The Cleaner
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +672/-30
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:09:29 PM

Y'know, there's a REASON why 'fakir' is usually pronounced 'faker'...  :roll:

I've never been to Missouri, but "Show me" features prominently in my ideology regarding claims of impossible magic.  I'd give that story exactly a 0% chance of being real and verifiable.  He *might* be able to go a couple of weeks without water, but not much longer.

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)

Offline stefanwolf

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +91/-20
  • It's ok to howl at the moon
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:29:43 PM
seventy years?  Nope NOPE NOPE.   a body has to have water, has to have nutrients.

"If I lick the Henna off the small of a back;   Will it dye my tongue? And if I swallow it down; Will it tattoo my heart?"