KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Veterans Day

Guest · 830

Remington555

on: November 11, 2018, 01:47:33 PM

Today is the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day, the official end of World War I. In the US, it's now called Veterans Day to honor all military veterans.

To every man or woman who has ever donned a uniform in service to your country, I salute you.

Thank you, for your service and dedication.

If you've ever lost a loved one in service to their country, I hope you can take some small comfort in knowing that their sacrifice, and yours, will never be forgotten.

Remmy

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1308/-3
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:09 PM
As a vet, I say thanks Remmy.  I was in the Army during mid 60s, but stayed stateside.  I did see the names of several I went through Basic Training with on the KIA lists that were published each week in an Army newspaper.  One day there were 5 names I knew.  I never picked up that paper again.  It's still hard for me to see stories on the news about "The Wall". 

One hundred years ago marked the end of "The War To End All Wars"...then they started to number them. Followed by names, Korean Conflict, Nam, the Gulf War, and on and on. 

As long as there is evil like Hitler, Al Qaeda, ISIS etc. we will continue to create more and more veterans.  Maybe someday the world will come to its senses, but I know I won't see it.

Today is not a day for rants tho' and I salute my fellow Veterans on this day set aside to honor us.  Wow, we even get another day tomorrow so Federal employees can get a day off.  Sorry, hard to stay out of rant mood.  Guess I'd best quit while I'm ahead. 

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:10:27 PM
Thank you, Remington. I appreciate that. WOO to you.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

psiberzerker

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 04:18:17 PM
There's something particularly American about taking something about the end of a War we barely showed up for, making it about US, and changing it to make a 3 day weekend.

Yeah, I'm a veteran.  A disabled veteran.  I'll feel honored when everyone starts caring for the rest of the year.

Humbug.  This is Armistice Day, and I have a poppy on.  Tomorrow is Veterans Day.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:22:50 PM by psiberzerker »

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 04:31:31 PM
Most Americans have no experience with veterans or the military. It fits our psyche. We are not a warlike culture, violent yes, not warlike.

I have spent my life around veterans and soldiers. It can be a very frightening thing when you see someone change in the blink of an eye, when a noise, a smell, something triggers in them, and they see themselves back in Hell.

We could do more for them, we probably  won’t. Most of us have no connection to what they experienced, no comprehension of it. And for that fact I am grateful for the few who stood between war’s desolation and us.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

psiberzerker

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 04:40:23 PM
Thank you, KB.  Another thing most Americans don't think about is how the Fireworks on the 4th of July make their neighborhoods sound like a warzone, for those of us that are triggered into flashbacks, of say being in a Mortar Attack (With Machineguns, but it's the Mortars that get me) and not being able to do anything about that.

Also, I have to apologize if I offended anybody.  (Also, 20 minutes until I can get my coffee...)  Since being offended nowadays is a reason for people to get defensive, I can only thank my lucky Stars that people don't celebrate tomorrow with strings of black cats, and mortars.

psiberzerker

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 05:26:15 PM
Author

This isn't erotic, nor is it a fantasy.  This is History as I remember it, through the eyes of my Quaker grandmother.

;

Amistice Day

I remember Grandma, God Rest her soul.  She wore a poppy, so I could ask her what that was about.  She was at the Trenches, not the front line, but in the rear.  Being a woman, she wasn't allowed at the front, but being a Nurse, she was close enough to hear the guns.  The big ones, and the shells going off.

All she could do was wait, for the dough boys to bring the wounded back to her.  She got drunk, and told stories, but not her stories.  The worst part for her, and all those men was not being able to do anything about it.  At least in World War II, they had tanks, and airplanes.  "That's what this means."  She held out her blouse, by the shiny red pin.  

"Not the blood-shed, but the End of the bloodshed.  The day when both sides, the whole world in a way admitted that it was for nothing.  There was nothing Great about that war, nor did it End All Wars.  It was just a bloody waste of human life."

She killed herself, not on Veteran's Day, nor even Memorial Day, but Armistice Day.  She was British, but she was buried here.  In Arlington, right next to her husband, who she met on the battlefield.  He was American, and I never met him.  He wasn't brought back on a litter, he came with the rest of the Americans at the end.  

When it was too late, and all he was there for was to re-supply.  Help them pack up after, and to drive them back to the airfield, where they could get a plane for the coast.  A ship back to England, but they fell in love.  I suppose it was almost a pleasure cruise, he helped her forget the horrors.

That's what their marriage represented, the same thing as the shiny red flower she only got out once a year.  That it was over, they could go on with their lives for a time.  Back in the states, here is where she found out that it wasn't over.  London was still under Rations, while here it was almost as if it had never happened.

The 20s wasn't just about Gangsters in Chicago, at war with the brand new FBI.  It was also the Highway Robbers, John Dillinger, Bonny and Clyde going on rampages.  A crime war over the right to drink alcohol.  A drug war, and a Civil War, as much as anything.  She served in that too, in Hospital.  Only now, instead of the gassed, and shrapnel, it was those poisoned by the cheap bathtub gin, and whatever they used to make it.

Then, World War II.  She laughed, "Ha."  One of her bitter jokes, "It was the same war.  The Germans would never had elected that pervert, had it not been for the Treaty.  They were mad, absolutely mental, because the Allies persecuted them so.  They decided to take it out on the world, and make it Perfect, like them  "Deutsheland Uber Alles."  That was their madness.  To save the world, from people with dark curly hair."

She'd stop then, she didn't have to say it, but I cried with her.  Her beloved husband, when America finally got involved again.  He was re-enlisted, only this time it wasn't to drive a truck.  It was to storm the beaches of the Pacific, only he never made it.  His ship was sunk, with all hands, before they even got there.  This time it was the Japanese, but it doesn't matter who kills you.

That's what your friends, and family don't tell you, in their Support the Troops teeshirts, and Make America Great Again ballcaps.  What all those men, and women fought and died for.

She shook her head.  "What?"

"Nothing.  Soldiers fight, and die for the next war.  So that the politicians, and leaders have something to take Revenge for.  Remember Korea!  Now we're talking about War with North Korea.  Why is Kim Jon Un so pissed off?  Because his daddy was, and his daddy's daddy, for the Korean War that basically made them Kings.  He wants revenge on South Korea, and America for putting them in Power.  Honestly?  He's got all these guns, and all this anger, he doesn't know what to do with.  So, he threatens the 1 nation, who's nuked civilians to force a surrender, twice with nuclear weapons, and literally holding guns to Seoul's head.  

Did you know that?  Did you know that's why we can't just take off fro the carriers we have, in the Sea of Japan, right now?  Not because they are working on Nukes, but because they have the most powerful Howitzers that have ever been mass produced, all pointed at Seoul South Korea, and if anyone attacks them, they will open fire.  That's why, because the capital is within range of the border, and they have mountains, with bunkers to dig in the guns.  Because if we do, thousands will die within the first few minutes our planes are flying toward their coast.

"Jesus."

God isn't there either.  We are, threatening a man that's holding a nation hostage.  Not because we don't believe he'll do it, but because we elected another hot-head, that doesn't know any other solution, except the Final one.  That's what my Grandfather dies for.  So America can remember when America was great.  When we vaporized 2 cities to prove a point, and now we get to say who gets to have that Power.

That's why I'm wearing this pin today.  For what America never knew to forget in the first place:  That war is an excuse for war.

;

Author

Forgive me for using a strawwoman in that "Dialog."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:31:23 PM by psiberzerker »

Offline Levorotatory

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +19/-0
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:06:04 PM
Author

This isn't erotic, nor is it a fantasy.  This is History as I remember it, through the eyes of my Quaker grandmother.
And it captures what should be the sentiment of this day perfectly.  The slogan of the first Remembrance Day was "never again".  It never seems to take very long for that to be forgotten by those who can't understand that the best way to "support our troops" may be to oppose the politicians who want to put them into harm's way.

psiberzerker

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 07:22:46 PM
The slogan of the first Remembrance Day was "never again".  It never seems to take very long for that to be forgotten by those who can't understand that the best way to "support our troops" may be to oppose the politicians who want to put them into harm's way.

True, however PC spin has a tendency to make good wars look bad, and bad wars look good, but this isn't Politics.  It's General Discussion, so I'll resist the urge, and keep it Civil.

I'm just saying, sometimes violence is necessary.  I personally believe it's in Self Defense, but somewhere along the line, the Land of the Free became the Big Stick for the world.

I just have to point out, that's right around the end of "The Great War."  Or at least the temporary disarmament that made Germany rethink modern weapons, strategy, and tactics.  In that interwar period, we got combined mechanized warfare with Close Air Support ("Blitzkreig") and in less than a decade we escalated to Intermediate Range Ballistic Missiles, and nuclear warheads.  

We won that war, but the world lost it's innocence.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:26:54 PM by psiberzerker »

IdleBoast

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 09:07:03 PM
I'm not a veteran, and never will be, but I've known them. I joined our town's Remembrance service as I do every year, blocked the streets as we stood in silence, then watched veterans and families of veterans laying wreaths on the memorial built after the Great War.

Those wreaths were laid by children and adults, including one man, just one, a veteran of the Boer and Great Wars.

So much for the British stiff upper lip - I always have to fight back tears as I stand there and listen to the Last Post. Sometimes I fail.

Even typing this, I have a lump in my throat.

_priapism

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 02:24:56 AM

Never forget.

wayne3218

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 03:10:33 AM

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 03:20:46 AM

One of the greatest books ever written.  All chapters are available on YouTube.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:39:06 AM

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 04:52:13 AM
Thank you, KB.  Another thing most Americans don't think about is how the Fireworks on the 4th of July make their neighborhoods sound like a warzone, for those of us that are triggered into flashbacks, of say being in a Mortar Attack (With Machineguns, but it's the Mortars that get me) and not being able to do anything about that.

Also, I have to apologize if I offended anybody.  (Also, 20 minutes until I can get my coffee...)  Since being offended nowadays is a reason for people to get defensive, I can only thank my lucky Stars that people don't celebrate tomorrow with strings of black cats, and mortars.
I do know. I remember the first 4th of July when I understood the price my father paid. I was maybe 7 and we were close by the fireworks mortars. I know that he was always somber while the fireworks went off. But this night was different.

We were close enough to feel the shockwave of the low explosions in the sky and close enough to really hear the thunk of the mortars firing.  I remember looking up at my dad as the smell of cordite wafted past us. I became so frightened. He had the most intense look on his face and tears were streaming down his face.

When he saw how it was affecting me he tried to compose himself and comfort me.

My dad’s ghosts haunted him in the hours of the dark. The men he didn’t bring back weighed heavily upon him.

psiberzerker

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 04:05:14 PM
This was an excellent series:

Shadow...

Also an excellent channel, if you actually like History.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 05:01:56 PM
I do know. I remember the first 4th of July when I understood the price my father paid. I was maybe 7 and we were close by the fireworks mortars. I know that he was always somber while the fireworks went off. But this night was different.

We were close enough to feel the shockwave of the low explosions in the sky and close enough to really hear the thunk of the mortars firing.  I remember looking up at my dad as the smell of cordite wafted past us. I became so frightened. He had the most intense look on his face and tears were streaming down his face.

When he saw how it was affecting me he tried to compose himself and comfort me.

My dad’s ghosts haunted him in the hours of the dark. The men he didn’t bring back weighed heavily upon him.

It took me a year or so to not react to fireworks and many years later I still will not pick up a can or other object that I do not know how it got there. Survival mode still kicks in after all these years.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1308/-3
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 12:16:08 PM

A special salute for all the KB veterans on our board. From old farts like me who served in the 60s to our trooper Shiela, we cover a wide range of ages and service. The important thing is, we answered the call.

And still we have Americans on foreign soil, defending the freedom of others. Here at home our National Guard is on hand to help with local emergencies.

Bless you all.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2946/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 01:11:58 PM
A Honorable Veteran's day to you as well Msslave, and a special thank you to all who have served before, and lead the way, and those serving now.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1750/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 02:18:52 PM

Happy Veterans Day to all who served.  Most especially the (tied for) #1 man in my heart.  My father.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016