KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veterans Day  (Read 282 times)
Katiebee
Shield Maiden POY 2018
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 922

Achieving world domination, one body at a time.

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 04:52:13 AM »

Thank you, KB.  Another thing most Americans don't think about is how the Fireworks on the 4th of July make their neighborhoods sound like a warzone, for those of us that are triggered into flashbacks, of say being in a Mortar Attack (With Machineguns, but it's the Mortars that get me) and not being able to do anything about that.

Also, I have to apologize if I offended anybody.  (Also, 20 minutes until I can get my coffee...)  Since being offended nowadays is a reason for people to get defensive, I can only thank my lucky Stars that people don't celebrate tomorrow with strings of black cats, and mortars.
I do know. I remember the first 4th of July when I understood the price my father paid. I was maybe 7 and we were close by the fireworks mortars. I know that he was always somber while the fireworks went off. But this night was different.

We were close enough to feel the shockwave of the low explosions in the sky and close enough to really hear the thunk of the mortars firing.  I remember looking up at my dad as the smell of cordite wafted past us. I became so frightened. He had the most intense look on his face and tears were streaming down his face.

When he saw how it was affecting me he tried to compose himself and comfort me.

My dad’s ghosts haunted him in the hours of the dark. The men he didn’t bring back weighed heavily upon him.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.
galaxybounce
Freakishly Strange

Fame 484

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »

I have always thought that song to be so sad.

Extremely so. The Pogues' version is my favourite rendition too.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify" - Abraham Lincoln
psiberzerker
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 04:05:14 PM »

This was an excellent series:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPYxS5h4x34&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iPYxS5h4x34&rel=1</a>

Also an excellent channel, if you actually like History.
watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 884

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »

I do know. I remember the first 4th of July when I understood the price my father paid. I was maybe 7 and we were close by the fireworks mortars. I know that he was always somber while the fireworks went off. But this night was different.

We were close enough to feel the shockwave of the low explosions in the sky and close enough to really hear the thunk of the mortars firing.  I remember looking up at my dad as the smell of cordite wafted past us. I became so frightened. He had the most intense look on his face and tears were streaming down his face.

When he saw how it was affecting me he tried to compose himself and comfort me.

My dad’s ghosts haunted him in the hours of the dark. The men he didn’t bring back weighed heavily upon him.

It took me a year or so to not react to fireworks and many years later I still will not pick up a can or other object that I do not know how it got there. Survival mode still kicks in after all these years.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
msslave
Freakishly Strange

Fame 471

Co-POY 2019

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 12:16:08 PM »

A special salute for all the KB veterans on our board. From old farts like me who served in the 60s to our trooper Shiela, we cover a wide range of ages and service. The important thing is, we answered the call.

And still we have Americans on foreign soil, defending the freedom of others. Here at home our National Guard is on hand to help with local emergencies.

Bless you all.

Well trained and been made compliant....by our two cats.
Shiela_M
Freakishly Strange

Fame 291

Germans do it better. German Americans do it best

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 01:11:58 PM »

A Honorable Veteran's day to you as well Msslave, and a special thank you to all who have served before, and lead the way, and those serving now.

"I'm a hazard to my health, don't let me get me"
MintJulie
Global Moderator Version 9.7.1
Super Freak
Burnt at the stake

Fame 771

Toe's Old Lady

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 02:18:52 PM »

Happy Veterans Day to all who served.  Most especially the (tied for) #1 man in my heart.  My father.

A true act of goodwill...
always sparks another
watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 884

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »

As one of those old farts, thank you msslave, Shiela and all KB members who have served or has had family members who have served.

msslave
Freakishly Strange

Fame 471

Co-POY 2019

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 04:16:47 PM »

Just an FYI...Shiela and I both spent time at Ft. Carson, Colorado.  Of course a lot of years between the times we were there.

I spent from July 1966 to October 1967 there, so missed Shiela by nearly 50 years.

Well trained and been made compliant....by our two cats.
ToeinH2O
Ph.D in Perversity
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 767

Member since '08, MJ's inamorato, POY 2013, POM x3

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 04:59:15 PM »

Thank you for your service, our veterans. 

watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 884

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »

Thank you Toe. Appreciate that.  Cool

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: