KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope  (Read 2332 times)
RopeFiend
The Cleaner
Super Freak
Burnt at the stake

Fame 621

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »

Looks like they using a mix of gasoline and naptha in the pic I posted.  If you add a handful of soap chips (or a number of other things) then it's classic napalm.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:29:52 PM by RopeFiend » Logged

Remember the Golden Rule: you do me, and I\'ll do you (paraphrased)
psiberzerker
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »

Napalm is a potmanteau of Napthalene, and Palm Oil.  The military never used soap chips in their formulation.  (Granted, the actual formula is Top Secret, but the soap chip receipe is more for Molotovs.  Bar soap isn't soluable in Napthalene.)
IdleBoast
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 538

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 02:10:38 PM »

The "soap chips" story is because the early gelling agents was a mix of "powdered aluminium soap of napthalene and palmitate" (palmitate is a medium-length fatty acid found in palm oil).

However, napalm hasn't contained napthalene or palm oil since the 1960s.

Modern napalm ("napalm B") is no secret, it's simply a mixture of gasoline (33%), benzene (21%) and (poly)styrene (46%) [other gelling agents can be used, such as celluloid - a "resistance" version of napalm is basically a big pile of ping-pong balls dissolved in petrol], typically ignited with thermite: the addition of styrene increases the ignition temperature significantly, largely by reducing the vapour pressure of the gasoline - apparently it used to be a tactic to ignite cannisters of napalm with thrown grenades to spread it more widely, but grenades do not burn hot enough for long enough to ignite napalm B.

(I'm old enough that this stuff used to be legal to teach in science class. Technically, I just committed at least two offences under UK anti-terrorism laws by typing this comment; it's evidence that I both possess and shared information of use to a terrorist, a terror group or in the execution of an act of terror.)

Interesting side for those interested in the politics of weaponry:

The US Department of Defence still define napalm as containing aluminium soap, so the modern formulation allowed the use of napalm B in Operation Iraqi Freedom, as the hot burning stuff sprayed by the marines was technically an incendiary device, not an anti-personnel weapon.

Go on, ask me - I might say yes...
All the pictures I post here, plus extras that I haven't: http://idleboast.imgur.com, http://idleboast.tumblr.com
Athos_131
ΘΣ, Class of '92
Burnt at the stake

Fame 320

How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 02:24:48 PM »

(I'm old enough that this stuff used to be legal to teach in science class. Technically, I just committed at least two offences under UK anti-terrorism laws by typing this comment; it's evidence that I both possess and shared information of use to a terrorist, a terror group or in the execution of an act of terror.)

I'll be more impressed when you become a drug kingpin who starts a meth lab in a winnebago.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB
psiberzerker
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »

I was never taught this in schools, (Didn't go to school in the UK)  but the information was readily available.  I got most of my receipes out of an old Funk&Wagnells encyclopedia.  Not just Napalm, but also Nitrocellulose, I blew up a potato after I saw The Corsican Brothers.  (No, it didn't turn out like that.  The acid mixture made it squishy, and it took more than a cannon fuse to detonate.)

My favorite was Thermite, because I didn't have a high-speed camera.  The damage from explosives is impressive, but it's over so quick, you basically have time for a post-mortem.  Thermite lasts a long long time.  Flame-throwers suck, by the way.  Well, technically, they blow, but they're bulky, dangerous, you get your face melted by the heat, and that's if nothing goes horribly wrong.

Don't try this at home, kids.
Elizabeth
Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
Burnt at the stake

Fame 363

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »

The "soap chips" story is because the early gelling agents was a mix of "powdered aluminium soap of napthalene and palmitate" (palmitate is a medium-length fatty acid found in palm oil).

However, napalm hasn't contained napthalene or palm oil since the 1960s.

Modern napalm ("napalm B") is no secret, it's simply a mixture of gasoline (33%), benzene (21%) and (poly)styrene (46%) [other gelling agents can be used, such as celluloid - a "resistance" version of napalm is basically a big pile of ping-pong balls dissolved in petrol], typically ignited with thermite: the addition of styrene increases the ignition temperature significantly, largely by reducing the vapour pressure of the gasoline - apparently it used to be a tactic to ignite cannisters of napalm with thrown grenades to spread it more widely, but grenades do not burn hot enough for long enough to ignite napalm B.

Interesting side for those interested in the politics of weaponry:

The US Department of Defence still define napalm as containing aluminium soap, so the modern formulation allowed the use of napalm B in Operation Iraqi Freedom, as the hot burning stuff sprayed by the marines was technically an incendiary device, not an anti-personnel weapon.

My dad was a Marine in Vietnam.......
Even though he was a CO of a helicopter squadron, his guys used to help out making home made napalm.
They would take a 55 gallon drum of gasoline / jet fuel / whatever / and mix tide soap powder in with it (he never told me ratio, so I don't know)....they would then load about 20-30 drums on the ramp of a C-130 and use it as a napalm bomber.
They used flares taped to the drums to ignite the stuff when it hit the ground.
(and no I have no idea how well it worked, nobody ever told me, and I have no interest in experimentation either).

Love,
Liz

IdleBoast
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 538

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 02:55:49 PM »

I'll be more impressed when you become a drug kingpin who starts a meth lab in a winnebago.

#Resist

I have had serious propositions on more than one occasion.

If I didn't have a moral code, I'd have been rich or dead years ago.

Go on, ask me - I might say yes...
All the pictures I post here, plus extras that I haven't: http://idleboast.imgur.com, http://idleboast.tumblr.com
psiberzerker
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »

On a similar note, I used to buy coke in Chapel Hill and rock it up to sell crack in Durham.  I'm not proud of myself, but I learned how by reading "Clockers" (Richard Price)
Athos_131
ΘΣ, Class of '92
Burnt at the stake

Fame 320

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 12:33:21 PM »

Watch These Stink Bugs Hatch in Unison

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB
Athos_131
ΘΣ, Class of '92
Burnt at the stake

Fame 320

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »

Rare two-headed copperhead snake found in Virginia

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB
Athos_131
ΘΣ, Class of '92
Burnt at the stake

Fame 320

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 12:57:37 AM »

Tourist in Australia Goes Viral Holding 'Beautiful' Octopus That Can Kill Within Minutes

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB
Athos_131
ΘΣ, Class of '92
Burnt at the stake

Fame 320

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 02:35:10 AM »

It’s so hot in Australia that snakes are seeking refuge in people’s toilets

Luke Huntley, a snake catcher in Queensland, had to remove snakes from people’s bathrooms, as the country experiences a record-setting heat wave. Last week, he removed a seven-foot python that had slithered into an open door and climbed into the shower not only to escape the heat but also to find water. Days earlier, he pulled a small tree snake that had coiled in another homeowner’s toilet bowl.

“With the hot days and dry weather, these snakes are trying to hydrate and stay cool just like us,” Huntley wrote on his Facebook page.

Also recently, an unsuspecting woman went into a dimly lit bathroom of a Brisbane home, not bothering to look into the toilet bowl. After she sat down, she felt a “tap” on her skin followed by a sharp pain, Helen Richards told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. She looked down and saw a python looking up at her.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB
Athos_131
ΘΣ, Class of '92
Burnt at the stake

Fame 320

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 01:55:28 AM »

Clean Your Phone Right Now

“The screen itself is a harbinger for carrying bacterias and viruses,” he said over the phone. “There have been multiple reports of infections being transmitted by the screens of our phones.”

Flu viruses that are capable of infecting others, for instance, can last on hard surfaces for as long as 24 hours, according to one study. This means anyone who touches your phone in that time could be vulnerable.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB
MintJulie
Global Moderator Version 9.7.1
Super Freak
Burnt at the stake

Fame 770

Toe's Old Lady

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 03:01:00 AM »

Ewww, not even reading.  I'm grossed out just thinking about what it might say.   I'll just go get a clorox wipe now.

A true act of goodwill...
always sparks another
ToeinH2O
Ph.D in Perversity
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 767

Member since '08, MJ's inamorato, POY 2013, POM x3

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 03:51:14 AM »

Ewww, not even reading.  I'm grossed out just thinking about what it might say.   I'll just go get a clorox wipe now.

Just attacked mine also.  Ewwwww.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: