Soccer

MintJulie · 56616

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3139/-41
Reply #800 on: November 07, 2022, 03:57:22 PM

Holy shit, Fenway just put Liverpool up for sale!  :o

https://theathletic.com/3770928/2022/11/07/fsg-liverpool-for-sale/

I never buy lottery tickets, but I bought one yesterday, since the jackpot is $1.9 billion. Yes, billion.

One of the first things I'm going to do after I win is follow Roger Waters's advice: "Think I'll buy me a football team."

While Liverpool would not be my first choice, I think I could make Daniel Levy an offer he couldn't refuse.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Clitical Thinking

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +431/-17
Reply #801 on: November 07, 2022, 06:58:28 PM
MissB as an EPL team owner and chairperv? I'd support that  ;D

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1645/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #802 on: November 07, 2022, 07:00:24 PM
Still eventful, just not in the way most of us were expecting 😅

Not sure why Spurs fans are booing Conte. I know his play style isn't the most attractive, but on the other hand, but on the other hand, being Top 3 for much of the season when Chelsea and Liverpool aren't up there isn't terrible, and I wouldn't know where they'd get a better manager right now anyway

Isn't the Spur's Son out for eye socket reconstruction? He and Kane made a great scoring team.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1687/-3
Reply #803 on: November 08, 2022, 12:30:46 PM

From the BBC

An FSG statement read: "There have been a number of recent changes of ownership and rumours of changes in ownership at Premier League clubs and inevitably we are asked regularly about Fenway Sports Group's ownership in Liverpool.

"FSG has frequently received expressions of interest from third parties seeking to become shareholders in Liverpool.

"FSG has said before that under the right terms and conditions we would consider new shareholders if it was in the best interests of Liverpool as a club."

Typically non-committal.

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #804 on: November 08, 2022, 05:48:36 PM

From the BBC

An FSG statement read: "There have been a number of recent changes of ownership and rumours of changes in ownership at Premier League clubs and inevitably we are asked regularly about Fenway Sports Group's ownership in Liverpool.

"FSG has frequently received expressions of interest from third parties seeking to become shareholders in Liverpool.

"FSG has said before that under the right terms and conditions we would consider new shareholders if it was in the best interests of Liverpool as a club."

Typically non-committal.

Yeah, and the use of "new shareholders" is interesting, because it could mean "new shareholders in addition to FSG" or "new shareholders replacing FSG"

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #805 on: November 10, 2022, 06:23:07 PM
The U.S. chose their World Cup team yesterday afternoon. It will be the second youngest team for them. Their youngest team was in 1990. 

Opening match is with Wales.  Think they will have a tough time with England, who is also in their group.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #806 on: November 10, 2022, 06:35:16 PM

The U.S. chose their World Cup team yesterday afternoon. It will be the second youngest team for them. Their youngest team was in 1990. 

Opening match is with Wales.  Think they will have a tough time with England, who is also in their group.

Despite their relative youth, 16 of the 25 players on the roster currently play in top flight European leagues, including six who play in the EPL.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #807 on: November 10, 2022, 06:49:14 PM

Despite their relative youth, 16 of the 25 players on the roster currently play in top flight European leagues, including six who play in the EPL.

Young legs are needed in the World Cup.  Yes, I watched the selection process yesterday and the manager did say he had to weigh experience with age.   He left off some really good players.

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #808 on: November 10, 2022, 06:54:01 PM

Take heart, Watcher.  We are taking Slabhead Maguire instead of Tomori  :facepalm:

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #809 on: November 10, 2022, 08:36:08 PM

Take heart, Watcher.  We are taking Slabhead Maguire instead of Tomori  :facepalm:

I really don't understand the loyalty that managers have toward Maguire. In fact, he seems to make everyone act stupid. I've also never understood why when Leicester wanted 70M Euro for him in 2018, Man Utd considered that too high, but then in 2019 Man Utd not only made a 70M Euro offer for him, they even accepted a deal worth 80M Euro for him, 10M Euro more than what was "too high" the year before  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #810 on: November 10, 2022, 08:50:32 PM
Interesting bit of trivia about the Iran vs USA match up. It made me think of the 1998 World Cup, where the American 1-2 defeat to Iran officially gave them the worst record of the tournament. Only the US and Japan failed to score any points at all, both scored only one goal, but the US conceded one more goal (5) than Japan (4).

I haven't found a record of all the matches between the two sides, other than Wiki mentioning that they also played a friendly in California 18 months later, which resulted in a 1-1 draw. ...though there's a good chance that those have been the only two matches they've ever played against each other.  ;D

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #811 on: November 10, 2022, 11:11:26 PM

Looks like Team England will be getting more fouls called with Maguire in the lineup.  ;D ;D

I saw something about Dubai businessmen possibly buying Liverpool?

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #812 on: November 12, 2022, 04:55:20 PM
I saw something about Dubai businessmen possibly buying Liverpool?[/color]

Uh oh, which poor soul gets to tell Klopp?  ;D

Also, I'm dumb, looked at the results, and honestly thought for a moment that Man Utd lost to Brentford today  :facepalm:

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #813 on: November 12, 2022, 07:40:07 PM
I saw something about Dubai businessmen possibly buying Liverpool?[/color]

Uh oh, which poor soul gets to tell Klopp?  ;D

Also, I'm dumb, looked at the results, and honestly thought for a moment that Man Utd lost to Brentford today  :facepalm:

So did I  ;D

Offline Dirtymind

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +135/-1
Reply #814 on: November 12, 2022, 08:25:47 PM
I honestly think the English should implement the German model where the majority of the club is owned by the supporters.

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #815 on: November 13, 2022, 12:07:23 PM
I honestly think the English should implement the German model where the majority of the club is owned by the supporters.

Agreeed.  But where would the money come from to fund the buyouts?

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #816 on: November 14, 2022, 04:43:42 PM
I just realized Ronaldo is missing an orange tan, a red baseball cap, and some bigly vocabulary  :emot_laughing:

Also, I usually don't read football convos on Twitter, but seeing how some of his fans are acting in response to his Piers Morgan interview, they'd make great MAGA cultists as well  :facepalm:

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #817 on: November 14, 2022, 10:16:01 PM
Least United won yesterday.  ;D ;D

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #818 on: November 15, 2022, 02:50:16 PM

I just realized Ronaldo is missing an orange tan, a red baseball cap, and some bigly vocabulary  :emot_laughing:

Also, I usually don't read football convos on Twitter, but seeing how some of his fans are acting in response to his Piers Morgan interview, they'd make great MAGA cultists as well  :facepalm:

I would have woo'ed this post if only for the delightful phrase "bigly vocabulary."

I didn't see the Piers Morgan interview, but I read a lengthy analysis in The Guardian. And Ronaldo comes off like a whiny little boy.

I'll admit that I've never liked him as a person. I recognize his astonishing greatness as a player, and I deem him one of the greatest players of his generation who belongs on the list of the 15-20 greatest players of all times. But he's a self-centered asshole, and he always has been.

He needs to take a cue from "the other greatest player of his generation," recognize that his skills are sharply declining, and accept reality. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in the MLS, perhaps on David Beckham's Miami side, in the near future.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #819 on: November 15, 2022, 03:08:43 PM
Ronaldo is to be fined $1 million dollars for that interview.  Would be interesting to see if he does come over here to play. Could his ego take the hit?