KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 1219 times)
ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 365

« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2019, 09:26:31 PM »

Yes I was a bit sorry to see Luiz go from Chelsea, I'm not sure what the reasons were.  He may be a bit of a liability at times especially with a "stray" elbow here and there but his range of long distance passing and glorious free kicks more than made up for it.

I hadn't noticed it was the old rivalry on Sunday.  I will be at the Chelsea game tomorrow.

A shame the Champions League final was not the best it could be for the neutral.  It would have been hard to follow those magnificent semi-finals though.

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about
MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 2201

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »

Yes I was a bit sorry to see Luiz go from Chelsea, I'm not sure what the reasons were.  He may be a bit of a liability at times especially with a "stray" elbow here and there but his range of long distance passing and glorious free kicks more than made up for it.

I hadn't noticed it was the old rivalry on Sunday.  I will be at the Chelsea game tomorrow.

A shame the Champions League final was not the best it could be for the neutral.  It would have been hard to follow those magnificent semi-finals though.

Yes, the Champions League final was hugely disappointing, and it was also a very pedestrian match. The Spurs are in what should be a winnable group for this year, but we'll see.

I recall watching a match during David Luiz's first tour with Chelsea where he made an absolutely boneheaded play that led directly to a goal for the opposing team. And then, only a minute or two later, he made a 60-70 yard pass that landed at Frank Lampard's feet for an easy goal.

I also respect David Luiz because he is a very religious man, and he gets tons of grief because of it. While I do not share his religious beliefs, I always respect someone who is willing to stick to his beliefs in the face of adversity.

And, on the doubtful chance that someone other than the two of us are reading this exchange, this is what I meant by his cool hair:

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 819

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2019, 05:26:11 PM »

I watched the MU vs Southampton match today and was not impressed by MU, who played a man up for the last 15 minutes or so and couldn't score.  They must be in a rebuilding phase. A few of their players prefer to shoot from anywhere rather then pass

MissB - I agree. Call me a throwback to the 60s-70s but "give me a head with hair, long, beautiful hair..." Grin Grin

A naughty thought is a terrible thing to waste
watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 819

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »

Obi - shame Chelsea gave up a goal in the 90th minute to even the score. Off their defender to add insult.

MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 2201

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2019, 09:40:30 PM »

Obi - shame Chelsea gave up a goal in the 90th minute to even the score. Off their defender to add insult.

I watched that match this morning, and every time the camera scanned the crowd, I tried to find ObiDong, but I never saw him. Then again, I haven't the slightest idea what he looks like.

I'm wearing my Harry Kane Jersey today, and when I was at a local supermarket I bumped into a guy wearing an Arsenal jersey. We had a very friendly chat, but I'm sure that both of us on the inside were seething with hatred.

ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 365

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »

I watched that match this morning, and every time the camera scanned the crowd, I tried to find ObiDong, but I never saw him. Then again, I haven't the slightest idea what he looks like.

ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 365

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »

Very annoying.  Our defence needs to realise its a game of two halves.

ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 365

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2019, 01:07:25 PM »

Slight diversion of thread but if anyone wants to see real men play football, watch the Gaelic Final between Dublin & Kerry at 3:30 UK time today.  Dublin going for a record 5 wins in a row.

MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 2201

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2019, 09:30:49 PM »

The exact same thing can be said about the Spurs in their match against Arsenal this morning...

watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 819

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »

Obi - MissB on the pitch  Cool

ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 365

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »

The exact same thing can be said about the Spurs in their match against Arsenal this morning...

Exactly, I caught the second half once the Gaelic football finished.

MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 2201

« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »

Obi - MissB on the pitch  Cool

Watcher, I gave you very strict instructions when I sent you my pic that you never post in on the board.

How could you?!?

Wink

watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 819

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2019, 11:18:44 PM »

Watcher, I gave you very strict instructions when I sent you my pic that you never post in on the board.

How could you?!?

Wink

But if you have it, why not flaunt it?  Grin  Of course, I am willing to take any punishment you think necessary, for violating our secret.

MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 2201

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2020, 04:05:10 PM »

SOCCER IS BACK!

Well, kind of...

The COVID-19 pandemic shut down soccer/football in early March. Beginning in late May, the top flight European leagues have been slowly -- and safely -- re-opening, but with a big catch.

The Bundesliga (the top flight German professional league) re-opened on May 17. They implemented a long list of safety precautions: Players and staff are tested for COVID weekly, their temperatures are taken before they can enter the stadium, substitutes and team personnel wear masks and sit at least six feet apart from each other, and the like. But the biggest change is that the matches are played in empty stadiums. And it's a very strange experience.

One of the first re-opening matches I watched was Bayern Munch vs. Frankfurt, which was played in Bayern's 85,000-seat stadium. Incuding the players, substitutes, team staff, and other officials, there were no more than 100 people there, and the match was played in relative silence. It was eerie. One interesting aspect is that you could clearly hear the ball being kicked, and you could listen as the players and coaches yelled to each other. While I don't speak a word of German, it was still interesting to hear all the interaction.

In more recent matches, they have begun pumping recorded crowd noises into the stadium and digitally projecting fans in the seats. On top of that, there's someone at a control board somewhere, and the fan sounds react to the play on the pitch. At one point in a match a watched this past weekend, a player from the home team took a beautiful shot, and the fan sounds roared in approval. This prompted the announcer to say, "And the virtual crowd goes wild!"

La Liga (Spain) re-opened last weekend, and the English Premier League re-opens today. In both leagues they're contracting the schedules to fit in all the remaining matches. That means that teams will be playing twice a week until late July. That's a lot of soccer!

watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 819

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »

Playing in stadiums without any fans?  lol  I played three years of college soccer in front of empty stands.  Grin

But glad to see one sport returning. Pro golf returned last weekend. Maybe pro baseball will get their act together and begin playing soon.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: