KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monarchy  (Read 394 times)
ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 416

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2020, 05:35:46 PM »

When William the III, Mary II, and her sister Anne died without an heir, the House of Stuart  yielded to the House of Hanover, and George I took the throne in 1714. 

Although Anne died without an heir it wasn't for the want of trying.  She had seventeen pregnancies, seven resulted in miscarriages, five were stillborn and of the five that survived none lived longer than two years.  Anne died two months before Sophia and at this point the Act of Settlement prevented Roman Catholics from succeeding (or a monarch marrying a Roman Catholic) thus the descendants of James II were excluded and the monarchy passed to George I.

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about
ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 416

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »

A comprehensive answer would take as long as the Royal family have been in existence but I will try and be succinct.

Thank you ODK, that was very informative and I appreciate the information.

Q. Was Elizabeth a Princess before she got coronated? (Is coronated a real word?).
A. Yes, before she was crowned.

So Elizabeth was known by a different name before she was crowned. Is that right?

A. Yes. Prince William is third and his son Prince George is fourth.

Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince George are all first-born sons. Who is second after Charles? And is Princess Charlotte next in line after Prince George?

Q. Elizabeth's only daughter, Princess Anne, is now a Princess Royal. How is that different from a regular princess?
A. Princess Royal is the honorary title given to the oldest daughter of the monarch.

I read somewhere that Princess Anne was once second in line (after Prince Charles) but now she's like 13th or 14th in the hierarchy. Would that have been the same if she had been the first born child?

Hope this helps, I'm sure another Brit will be along shortly to amplify my answers.

It most definitely did help and thank you for taking the time to explain.

In this case Elizabeth II did take her first forename as her regal name.

William is second in line, George is third, Charlotte fourth, Louis fifth and Harry sixth.

Princess Anne was third in line when she was born because her mother was not yet queen, she rose to second when her mother ascended to the throne and remained so until her younger brother Randy Andy was born and she has gradually slid down the pecking order as the descendants (and brother Edward) of Charles have arrived.  I think she is now 15th in line, displaced one more by Charlotte.  When Anne was born the law only allowed for male heirs unless there were no males eligible. This was changed just a few years ago, hence Charlotte being placed ahead of Louis.

ObiDongKenobi
Freakishly Strange

Fame 416

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »

Last question. Who decided which family got to be the royal family?

Q. Who decided which family got to be the royal family?

A. Originally members of primitive tribes who shouted the loudest and carried the biggest stick. They then strengthened their position by claiming royalty was bestowed on them by a deity and put down any challengers.  Some people took a while to see through this charade and rise up against it (see Russia 1917, America 1776, England & Wales 1642-1660), some see them as a benign alternative to a president (see UK 2020).

The British monarch's motto is "Dieu Et Mon Droit" (God And My Right)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieu_et_mon_droit

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: