KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ginger Baker dies  (Read 33 times)
watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 707

Gentleman Pervert

« on: October 07, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »

Ginger Baker, the volatile and propulsive drummer for Cream and other bands who wielded blues power and jazz finesse and helped shatter boundaries of time, tempo and style in popular music, died Sunday at age 80, his family said. "We are very sad to say that Ginger has passed away peacefully in hospital this morning," Baker's family tweeted.

His daughter Nettie confirmed Baker died in Britain, but gave no other details. The family had said September 25 that Baker was critically ill in the hospital.
The London native ranked with The Who's Keith Moon and Led Zeppelin's John Bonham as the embodiment of musical and personal fury. Using twin bass drums, Baker fashioned a pounding, poly-rhythmic style uncommonly swift and heavy that inspired and intimidated countless musicians.

Began with the trio, Cream, that included Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton then went on to Blind Faith, with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood. Sunshine of our Love and White Room were two of Cream's major hits.
herschel
Freakishly Strange

Fame 213

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »

I remember when I could listen to Cream for hours at a time and never get bored. I remember a time when local trios did their best to imitate that sound and style, and the best compliment you could pay them was to say, "That was a great set, you guys remind me of Cream." Funny thing was, most rock and blues fans didn't even know who Cream was, but the musicians knew. So, he was a little bit crazy, so what!? Normal people do their jobs and pay their taxes, while far-out drummers go far out and don't come back.
Jed_
Freakishly Strange

Fame 147

I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »

Was listening a good part of my drive back from vacation to satellite radio.  Classic station was talking about this and playing Cream and other works he was involved in.
IdleBoast
Global Moderator
Burnt at the stake

Fame 482

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:36:45 PM »

Sad

Go on, ask me - I might say yes...
All the pictures I post here, plus extras that I haven't: http://idleboast.imgur.com, http://idleboast.tumblr.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: