KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Midway (2019)

Guest · 932

_priapism

on: October 30, 2019, 07:05:28 PM
I’m looking forward to this movie, hope it doesn’t disappoint, but it seems they had a huge CGI budget, so hopefully they can do it credit.*

Chester Nimitz grew up in Fredricksburg, not far from me.  Really curious to see how Woody Harrelson holds up in that role.

If you are not a WWII buff, Midway has been cited as one of the most decisive naval battles in history.  A combination of strategy, balls, and blind good luck, the Battle of Midway decimated the Japanese naval carrier fleet, and marked a turning point in the War of the Pacific.

*I was really disappointed by Dunkirk, which looked like six boats going to move 250,000 men.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:08:59 PM by ToeinH2O »

Offline herschel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +222/-1
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 05:27:50 AM
With everybody in Washington scheming to do everyone else in, Americans could really use something to feel good about, even if it's back in the time of our grandfathers.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 05:31:22 AM
I wonder if I can get wifey to see it with me.  ;D

Offline herschel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +222/-1
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 01:01:09 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd take her to see Tora Tora Tora first.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3090/-41
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 03:21:53 PM

I’m looking forward to this movie, hope it doesn’t disappoint, but it seems they had a huge CGI budget, so hopefully they can do it credit.*

A couple of days ago on another forum, I read a thread about Hollywood movies that had the greatest number of stars in its cast. Though no one in that thread mentioned it, the original Midway, which came out in 1976, is likely the winner.

The cast included: Henry Fonda (as Nimitz), Charlton Heston, James Coburn, Glenn Ford, Hal Holbrook, Robert Mitchum, Cliff Robertson, and Robert Wagner, with Toshiro Mifune playing the role of Japanese admiral Yamamoto.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:28:28 PM
I was thinking about that recently as well MissB, that the original was as they say, star studded.  I’m hoping I’m not disappointed, so many, and in fact most, remakes don’t do justice to the original.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 05:06:10 PM

I was thinking about that recently as well MissB, that the original was as they say, star studded.  I’m hoping I’m not disappointed, so many, and in fact most, remakes don’t do justice to the original.

I found it a fascinating that Toe, writing about the new movie and doing so before any of the other posts, notes "Midway has been cited as one of the most decisive naval battles in history." And the poster for the original movie deems it "The most decisive naval battle in our history."

Toe wins!

_priapism

Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 05:43:23 PM

I was thinking about that recently as well MissB, that the original was as they say, star studded.  I’m hoping I’m not disappointed, so many, and in fact most, remakes don’t do justice to the original.

I found it a fascinating that Toe, writing about the new movie and doing so before any of the other posts, notes "Midway has been cited as one of the most decisive naval battles in history." And the poster for the original movie deems it "The most decisive naval battle in our history."

Toe wins!

I actually got very interested in the subject matter.  Wiki led me to a WWII archive, which had a lengthy narrative.  I was amazed at how much luck played a role.  The planes often flew in radio silence to avoid detection, over the vast Pacific.  On more than one occasion, sightings were made with fuel tanks low, and pilots moved into to attack, not knowing if they could make it back to their home base.  The Japanese, meanwhile, had a habit of refueling on the flight deck, and leaving their hoses full of fuel.  This proved to be fortuitous, as US fighters set entire flight squadrons aflame, with a few good hits.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:33:56 PM by ToeinH2O »

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1321/-3
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 06:31:35 PM
The Germans used a coding device called Enigma. It was a Polish invention and the Poles smuggled a machine out to England. The movie, " The Imitation Game ", detailed the British efforts for breaking the codes.

Being good business people, the Germans sold this machine to the Japanese. The U.S. got a copy from the British and were able to start breaking the codes of the Japanese. That's how they first learned of the plans that led to the Midway battle. To keep secret the fact German and Japanese codes were being broken, they could not just go out and strike at the Nippon fleet. Scout planes were sent out to "accidentally" discover the attack force. Once the scout planes were spotted by the Japanese, the U.S. forces could move.

The resulting battle, in terms of numbers was a loss for the U.S. forces. But, the sinking of the enemy aircraft carriers by U.S. planes turned the tide of the war in the Pacific.

Japan did not have the industrial power of the United States and could not replace their losses.  The U.S. with all it's resources and mass production factories went into all out action, cranking out ships, planes and other war materials at a fantastic rate.

There were many other "upsets" due to the Enigma machine decoding enemy messages.  The British almost took this resource away from us.  A decoded message revealed Admiral Yamamoto's location and his plane was shot down, with no cover story of how the U.S. knew he was going to be there. Luckily Japan never guessed how he was located. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:50:02 PM by msslave »

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

_priapism

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 06:53:42 PM

A decoded message revealed the Admiral Yamamoto's location and his plane was shot down, with no cover story of how the U.S. knew he was going to be there. Luckily Japan never guessed how he was located. 

In 1945, Army Intelligence gave one pilot, Thomas Lanphier, credit for shooting down Yamamoto.  This led to contention as another pilot, Rex Barber, claimed that he had shot down Yamamoto.  In 1973, upon further review, both men were given 1/2 credit by the Air Force. Lanphier died in 1987.  Most newspaper obituaries reporting Lanphier's death credited him with killing Yamamoto. Rex Barber continued to contest Lanphier's claim, mainly in military circles and publications, until his death in 2001.

Donald B. Rice, then the secretary of the Air Force, said in 1993: ''Historians, fighter pilots and all of us who have studied the record of this extraordinary mission will forever speculate as to the exact events of that day in 1943. There is glory for the whole team.''

Offline goodwood2506

• Not Yet A Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +2/-0
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 11:46:52 PM
given who made the film am not hopeful is not going to be a cgi fillled blockbuster without the pracital effects of the orignal film

_priapism

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 12:31:11 AM
On my way to see Midway at the IMAX!

I had three belts of whisky.  No ice or water Jules!

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1769/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 02:02:33 AM
On my way to see Midway at the IMAX!

I had three belts of whisky.  No ice or water Jules!

Yay to both.   The movie and the brown stuff

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

ChirpingGirl

Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 02:10:40 AM
I wanna see it because CJ is obsessed with the WW2 era, but I don't want to see some historically inaccurate CrappyWood adaptation with nothing but CGI.

_priapism

Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 04:54:17 AM
Just got home from the theater, and the movie really did a great job.  Stuck with history for the most part and had super special effects, great character development, and storylines. Moving, and makes you appreciate the Greatest Generation again.  Highly recommend it.  It covered Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, and Midway.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 11:14:40 PM

Just got home from the theater, and the movie really did a great job.  Stuck with history for the most part and had super special effects, great character development, and storylines. Moving, and makes you appreciate the Greatest Generation again.  Highly recommend it.  It covered Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, and Midway.

I was reluctant to see it, since it looked like yet another special-effects laden spectacle.

Thanks for the review -- I'll definitely see it now!

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1769/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 11:07:39 AM

I was reluctant to see it, since it looked like yet another special-effects laden spectacle.

I watched the trailer last night and you're right, it looks like an abundance of special effects.

Dan has been wanting to watch it but I've been giving a thumbs down.   I guess I'll cave and we'll watch it tonight sometime.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

_priapism

Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 07:31:42 PM

I watched the trailer last night and you're right, it looks like an abundance of special effects.

Dan has been wanting to watch it but I've been giving a thumbs down.   I guess I'll cave and we'll watch it tonight sometime.

It is very well done.  It was the greatest naval battle in history, and all done without satellite tracking, computers, sophisticated radar and other technology that we take for granted now.  They basically fanned out and searched the Pacific until they located the enemy, then hoped they had enough fuel to find and fly back to their carrier group.

Offline Dudester

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +67/-66
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 05:33:57 AM
I saw the 1978 movie and while adequate was no masterpiece. That movie even featured a very much unneeded sub plot about a Japanese family in Hawaii facing internment in the U.S. The sub plot was added because of a then popular book and movie:"Return to Manzanar."

The 2019 movie I avoided because I saw mistakes in the previews. Two weeks ago it was offered for free on one of my apps, so I made the time to watch. I finally had to quit 2/3 of the way through the movie. The movie disgusted me.

My father served in Patton's Third Army and my stepfather spent the entire war on Midway Island. He lost 90% of his hearing because he was in a foxhole and the Japanese planes came from an unexpected direction. A five inch gun was fired directly over his head, which knocked him out for three days, and ruined his hearing.

With that said, I know how WW2 vets are. I grew up with them and around them. I very deeply resent the way Hollywood actors play WW2 soldiers in the present day. Midway (2019) and Tarantino's film disgust me to no end. When WW2 films were made in the 1960's and 70's, the men making the movies were WW2 vets. In The Longest Day, twenty of the principle cast were WW2 vets and 3 were actually D-Day vets. One would be hard pressed to find someone in Hollywood today that is actually a military veteran. There was a major that I served under in the military. He had my back and that person earns my undying respect, unless....
I saw the major at a reunion. He had become a name dropping nabob, a boob. The old major was gone. He had served as a military consultant on several films. That changed him forever, and not for the better.

Avoid Midway (2019).