News:

Coronavirus, The plague has arrived

Jed_ · 39644

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #500 on: March 28, 2020, 03:49:38 PM
  What the President said was that the public had no reason to panic, that compared to the Seasonal Flu, which had killed about 20,000 people in a good year, and averaged closer to 30,000 year on year, the (at that time) 51 deaths in the United States from the Corona Virus was not such a big deal for public to panic about.

30,000 deaths the public can count on with Seasonal Flu, so they panic? No.
51 deaths at the time from Corona 19, get a grip, no public panic warranted, the experts have this in hand. Stop stockpiling, stop hoarding, wash your hands.

Remember, it was Trump, who said a month or so ago, that this wasn't a big thing. His not listening to the scientists is a main reason we are where we are today in regards to the virus.

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

_priapism

Reply #501 on: March 28, 2020, 03:58:11 PM

Covfefe-19.  Copenhagen street art.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2955/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #502 on: March 28, 2020, 05:01:06 PM

327.2 million americans,  approximately 13 million get the flu each year and on average 30,000 deaths.  At the time of the 51 deaths only a few thousand people had it. And, here's the kicker, nobody had been cured, and we could all see the spread of this "hoax"

101,000 cases and 1,588 deaths in America as of friday and he still doesn't get it.  He's more concerned about opening businesses than keeping his bank accounts full then people's safety.

but he signed a 2 trillion dollar stimulus to help people in need. and then hell say there's nothing to worry about, go out and spend your money, save the economy, and spread the virus more.  I'll be safe here in the White House watching my stocks go up.

A real president... hell a real man. Would have said, don't panic, BUT this is a real reason for concern.  Yes the flu kills a lot of people every year, but we have known and effective ways to fight the flu, we have little to no knowledge of this virus.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #503 on: March 28, 2020, 05:17:36 PM
People are still going psycho for shit paper!  :facepalm:

At my temp job I've stocked more shit paper and paper towels than anything. People are so stupid, greedy and irrational it even surprises me.  :roll:

_priapism

Reply #504 on: March 28, 2020, 06:57:58 PM
  What the President said was that the public had no reason to panic, that compared to the Seasonal Flu, which had killed about 20,000 people in a good year, and averaged closer to 30,000 year on year, the (at that time) 51 deaths in the United States from the Corona Virus was not such a big deal for public to panic about.

51 deaths at the time from Corona 19, get a grip, no public panic warranted, the experts have this in hand. Stop stockpiling, stop hoarding, wash your hands.

Remember, it was Trump, who said a month or so ago, that this wasn't a big thing. His not listening to the scientists is a main reason we are where we are today in regards to the virus.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #505 on: March 28, 2020, 10:29:15 PM

COVID-19 is more than 10 times deadlier than seasonal flu, and it is more communicable, meaning it spreas far more easily.  So when you say "relax, only 20,000 people die from flu each year," it is not very comforting.

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #506 on: March 28, 2020, 10:47:07 PM
  The comparison at the time was 20,000 deaths annually, versus 51 deaths in the United States at that time. Therefore, no reason to panic. Period.

Experts are ON IT, and Americans can count upon the Administration to stay ON IT, and resolve how to overcome challenges along the way.

This was said in front of a baying MOB of antagonistic Media, nit picking each sentence, word by word, countering anything said at the White House for effect of encouraging chaos.

President Trump has earned a 60% approval rating for handling the crisis. The American Public, save Democrat agitators still fighting and pining for Hillary, have spoken.

COVID-19 is more than 10 times deadlier than seasonal flu, and it is more communicable, meaning it spreas far more easily.  So when you say "relax, only 20,000 people die from flu each year," it is not very comforting.

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

_priapism

Reply #507 on: March 28, 2020, 10:52:57 PM

*30,433 total, as of today.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #508 on: March 28, 2020, 11:09:11 PM
 The comparison at the time was 20,000 deaths annually, versus 51 deaths in the United States at that time. Therefore, no reason to panic. Period.

It’s hard to believe anyone is this obtuse.

Everything was and has been predictable.  Except Trump and Republicans have always been disdainful of science and scientists (doctors included, as scientists of health and disease), those educated ‘elite’ (meaning people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about).

So, AT THAT TIME, Trump was being told this was going to get very bad, he ignored them, and said the media jumping on it was a hoax instigated by the Democrats.  It was called the second impeachment.  Because, he can’t listen to experts when he doesn’t want to hear the answers they have.  He just wants re-elected by any means and tunes out the rest.

Some estimates are the infection rate will eventually include as many as 20-60% of the population.  Even at a low estimate of 1% of those infected succumb, we’re talking in the neighborhood of a million deaths just in the U.S.  People we know and love are going to die.  I sincerely hope it won’t come to anywhere near that, but at this point it’s not looking good.  And it terrifies me.

And, we’ll see it again next year.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #509 on: March 28, 2020, 11:27:59 PM
This morning my partner got a message from his ex, with a recording from a guy saying "Don't take Ibuprofin, it will make COVID-19 worse!"

I was and am appalled.  While NSAIDs like ibuprofin, aspirin and tylenol work as COX-2 inhibitors, and therby reduce inflamation, pain & fever, COX-2 also plays a key role in the production of antibodies and inhibiting this function is concerning.  

However, there is also strong evidence that NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) also have direct anti-viral properties.

The question here is if antibody production might be dangerously impaired by NSAIDs, vs the anti-viral properties we might benefit from them.

Specifically, naproxen blocks the RNA binding groove of the nucleoprotein, preventing formation of the ribonucleoprotein complex, thus taking the vital nucleoproteins out of circulation. The researchers write that naproxen is a lead compound for drug development that could be improved by tweaking the molecule to boost its ability to bind to nucleoprotein.
 https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130321151926.htm

Re Aspirin and fighting virus
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5155651/

So should you take ibuprofin/NSAIDs?  Looks like there is good and bad.  

However, inflamation plays a major role in the pneumonia stage of COVID-19, where it actually kills you.  Inflamation blocks oxygen/Co2 exchange in the lungs, so an anti-inflamatory might help save your life at this point.

Fever: Fever plays a role in our immune system.  Many of our bodies immune systems are activated by fever, so the fever itself is not bad so long as it does not go too high for too long.  NSAID's, especially Tylenol, are very good for reducing fever, but you might not want to interfere with the bodies' imune response unless the fever itself becomes life threatening.

So what is too high a high fever?  I've done research on the internet and this is hard to find clear information on this subject, except that adults can withstand higher temperatures than children can.  I had scarlet fever as a child (from untreated strep-throat) and my mom finally took me to the doctor when my fever went over 106F because that was considered dangerously high.  I also found that it is not unusual for adults to get a 104F fever from seasonal flu.

So should you take NSAIDs?  I'm sure everyone would agree that is not an easy question to answer at this point.  Best to listen to your doctor, especially if you have reasons to take anti-inflamatories.  NSAIDs might be more important to your health in the long-run.

Take-away: don't listen to hysterical alarmists that don't know the whole picture.  Do your own reseach as much as you can and when it comes to your own health, discuss the pros & cons with your doctor.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:31:07 PM by Lois »

_priapism

Reply #510 on: March 28, 2020, 11:48:05 PM
Tylenol (acetaminophen) is not classified as an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Tylenol is classified as a miscellaneous analgesic for mild to moderate pain and fever.

Aleve, Advil, and ibuprofen are NSAID’s.  Consult with your doctor.

IdleBoast

Reply #511 on: March 29, 2020, 12:13:01 AM
The whole ibroprufen thing is based on a couple of Italian cases who were already very ill and then died.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1610/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #512 on: March 29, 2020, 12:21:36 AM

At my temp job I've stocked more shit paper and paper towels than anything. People are so stupid, greedy and irrational it even surprises me.  :roll:

Could you grab a couple of rolls for me, please. ;D

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #513 on: March 29, 2020, 02:15:09 AM
Tylenol (acetaminophen) is not classified as an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Tylenol is classified as a miscellaneous analgesic for mild to moderate pain and fever.

Aleve, Advil, and ibuprofen are NSAID’s.  Consult with your doctor.

You are right Toe.

We don't really know how Tylenol (Acetaminophen) works yet.
https://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i29/Does-Acetaminophen-Work-Researchers-Still.html

Addendum: Although acetaminophen aka paracetamol, is not a NSAID, there have been studies that show it may inhibit immune function.  In one study, participants were infected with the common cold, aka Rhinovirus.  Those given aspirin and acetaminophen took an average of two days longer to recover vs those given a placebo.  Also acetaminophen does not have the same level of anti-inflammatory action compared to NSAIDs.  NSAIDs work much much better to reduce inflamation.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 02:48:19 AM by Lois »

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #514 on: March 29, 2020, 03:38:20 AM

So we ran around today looking for TP.  We didn’t need it, but my brother-in-law did.  He’s a cop.  So, shitheads have rolls of TP stacked to their ceilings, but a first responder can’t get it for a family of 4?  Well, we found it after several stores and delivered it to his family.

We still haven’t bought it for ourselves.

_priapism

Reply #515 on: March 29, 2020, 04:14:11 AM

Aleve, Advil, and ibuprofen are NSAID’s.  Consult with your doctor.

You are right Toe.

We don't really know how Tylenol (Acetaminophen) works yet.
https://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i29/Does-Acetaminophen-Work-Researchers-Still.html

Addendum: Although acetaminophen aka paracetamol, is not a NSAID, there have been studies that show it may inhibit immune function.  In one study, participants were infected with the common cold, aka Rhinovirus.  Those given aspirin and acetaminophen took an average of two days longer to recover vs those given a placebo.  Also acetaminophen does not have the same level of anti-inflammatory action compared to NSAIDs.  NSAIDs work much much better to reduce inflamation.who

My ex, who still loves me, sent over all the info.  Fortunately, I don’t take anything other than aspirin, because I’m an old guy who has consumed alcohol most of my life, and all of those modern OTC drugs are hell on your liver.

My kids are not sheltering in, or respecting social distancing.  They are idiots, who may kill their old man in the not too distant future.  I’m washing hands regularly, and staying in for the most part.  We will know soon enough.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #516 on: March 29, 2020, 05:20:16 AM
So what else is fucking new?  :emot_shrug:

President Donald Trump Approves Disaster Declaration for Illinois Amid Coronavirus Crisis

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/president-donald-trump-approves-disaster-declaration-for-illinois-amid-coronavirus-crisis/2245190/

Offline purpleshoes

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +431/-10
Reply #517 on: March 29, 2020, 01:44:17 PM

Aleve, Advil, and ibuprofen are NSAID’s.  Consult with your doctor.

Advil is a brand name of the generic ibuprofen (as is Motrin).

Aleve is a brand name of the generic naproxen.

As noted above, both ibuprofen and naproxen are NSAIDs but so is Aspirin.

Aspirin was at one time a brand name belonging to the the Bayer company. Now it is identified as a generic name for acetylsalicylic acid, a medication used to reduce pain, fever, or inflammation.

It's not really relevant to this topic, but Heroin was also a brand name of the Bayer company at one point early in the 20th century.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1610/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #518 on: March 29, 2020, 02:50:28 PM
So what else is fucking new?  :emot_shrug:

President Donald Trump Approves Disaster Declaration for Illinois Amid Coronavirus Crisis

I agree. Illinois was a disaster even before COVID-19.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

_priapism

Reply #519 on: March 29, 2020, 05:58:48 PM

It's not really relevant to this topic, but Heroin was also a brand name of the Bayer company at one point early in the 20th century.

At one point in the early 20th century, Bayer was part of the consortium that developed and produced chlorine gas for WWI.

Later, Bayer’s parent company, Bayer AG, was part of the German chemical conglomerate I.G. Farben, that ran death camp slave-labor factories during the Holocaust and made Zyklon B gas, used to kill hundreds of thousands of Jews.

So try not to think about that when you pop a Bayer aspirin.