KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - It's Cheaper Than Therapy

News:

• Congratulations to Valley Vixin
    KB's 2020 Erotica Writer of the Year
  • Become a member for access to more areas of our message board, it's free!  Register here.
  • Congratulations to Shiela_M
    KB's 2020 Pervert of the Year

Astronomy

Shiela_M · 1382

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +500/-1
Reply #75 on: April 14, 2020, 12:04:17 PM
Well I guess I know the weather for the end of April.  Cloudy skies, preventing any viewing of the comet.

It always seems to be the case when there's an evening event in the sky.  I remember heading north several years ago at 5 AM.  There was a Lunar eclipse. On my left, as I drove, I could see the shadow start to fall over the moon and I though WOW, I'll get to see this. After only a few minutes, the clouds came in and POOF! My view of the eclipse was gone.

Well trained and been made compliant....by our two cats.

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
  • As far as I know, I'm freaking delightful
Reply #76 on: April 14, 2020, 01:31:24 PM
Well I guess I know the weather for the end of April.  Cloudy skies, preventing any viewing of the comet.

It always seems to be the case when there's an evening event in the sky.  I remember heading north several years ago at 5 AM.  There was a Lunar eclipse. On my left, as I drove, I could see the shadow start to fall over the moon and I though WOW, I'll get to see this. After only a few minutes, the clouds came in and POOF! My view of the eclipse was gone.

Yep, just like me missing my supermoons.  Earth the ultimate cosmic party pooper.

"I'm a hazard to my health, don't let me get me"

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +440/-1
Reply #77 on: April 14, 2020, 03:14:08 PM
Comet with atmosphere FIVE times the size of Jupiter is set to light up the night skies in April - and it could be brighter than Venus

I have observed a really bright object in the northern sky the last two nights.  I assumed it was Venus, but maybe comet Atlas?

That was probably Venus, Toe, Atlas can't yet be seen with the naked eye.  Viewed from the USA & UK it's trajectory does put it in the same part of the sky though.

This image shows the trajectory seen from the UK at around 10pm last night.

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard about this comet before.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:17:47 PM by ObiDongKenobi »

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +440/-1
Reply #78 on: April 14, 2020, 03:25:28 PM
Ahh.  Just noticed the date on the Daily Fail article. Looks like we may be disappointed :(

https://astronomynow.com/2020/04/02/get-ready-for-bright-comet-atlas-c-2019-y4-in-the-northern-spring-sky/

Offline ToeinH2O

• Ph.D in Perversity
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +809/-8
  • Member since '08, POY 2013, POM x3
Reply #79 on: April 19, 2020, 05:55:01 PM
Even if you’re not an Astro-nerd, this is pretty dadgum interesting, and I’m’a gonna ‘splain why.
There’s a supermassive black hole in the constellation Sagittarius called Sagittarius A (always so clever, those astrophysicists). Sag A is surrounded by big, burly stars. One of these stars (called S2) orbits Sagittarius A in a long, elliptical orbit. But unlike under normal celestial circumstances, two unusual things happen as S2 nears the black hole.
1) Its orbit shifts slightly in advance of its previous pass. Every sixteen years, the same slight “glitch.” So if you were to plot its course, rather than looking like a series of overlying ellipses, it would look like a bent helix. Or a Slinky. Astrophysicists call this phenomenon “orbital precession.”
2) As S2 nears Sagittarius A (perihelion) its light becomes red-shifted. That is, the light we’re capable of observing from it is being shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. Again, like a Slinky, only stretched instead of bent.
So why would that be? The standard explanation for red-shifting is when an object is receding from us, its light signature gets stretched. The higher the velocity, the deeper the red-shift. And (normally), the farther away it is. True, true & true. But in this case, Sagittarius A is like a ginormous vacuum cleaner sucking in everything in the neighborhood, including photons of light from stars that pass too close to its gravity well. And every sixteen years, S2 comes within 18B km of this monster.

So why should anybody care about any of this?
Because this was predicted by Albert Einstein 105 years ago, though neither have ever been observed in nature before. Until now.
Link to the story: ????????

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/einsteins-hand-reaches-out-from-a-black-hole-and-torques-a-stars-orbit

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +440/-1
Reply #80 on: April 22, 2020, 05:38:12 PM

Has anyone caught sight of Elon Musk's latest Starlink train of 60 satellites launched on 18 March?  The next 60 launch in a few hours time.

http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=starlink5&sck=1#LIST

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #81 on: May 17, 2020, 12:50:23 AM
Has everybody heard about the super earth.  It's an earth like planet within our solar system. When it was first discovered scientists went crazy.  Here was a planet roughly the same size as earth but bigger, orbiting a star within the "habital zone" to sustain life.  After years of hoping that we may have found a planet to possibly move to, dreams have been destroyed.

There is one massive huge problem with this planet. It's not the atmosphere or the gravity of the planet itself, but the problem lies with the star.  It is about 2/3 the size of our own star.  This means that it produces much less energy and light for the earth like planet.

This means that liquid water may not be possible on the surface so the possibility of sustaining life is extremely reduced.  There may be liquid water far from the surface where pressure and core temps may hear it up, but life on the surface is all but impossible for the time being.

Unless you're really really good at holding your breath

Offline ToeinH2O

• Ph.D in Perversity
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +809/-8
  • Member since '08, POY 2013, POM x3
Reply #82 on: May 17, 2020, 01:36:39 AM
Unfortunately, We Cannot Move to Super-Earth

Seems like it would be easier to stop fucking our Earth up, than to move to another planet, but hey, what do I know?

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +500/-1
Reply #83 on: May 17, 2020, 01:37:34 AM
Well damn Shiela... another bubble burst.  Guess I'll go unpack now. :facepalm:

Well trained and been made compliant....by our two cats.

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #84 on: May 17, 2020, 02:34:54 AM
Every party needs a pooper that's why you invited me. ;D

I don't know what you're all worried about, global warming is a myth, and burning coal is a good thing.  Next thing you know, we'll be putting lead in our chewing gum to help with the clorox shots before sticking a chem-light up our asses. 

Enough of the derailment though.

Even getting there was so far fetched it would never happen.  The amount of recourse it would take to get half way there would be a thousand times more than every single space exploration taken so far.  The shuttle alone would have difficulty taking off.  They would have to build it in space. If only we had a branch of the military to work on that...

Oops derailed it with a pile of bullshit again.  Sorry guys.

Offline MintJulie

• Global Moderator Version Number 9.7.1 POY 2016
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +815/-4
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #85 on: May 27, 2020, 02:51:53 PM

Space X launch today at 4:33pm.  Have to find out where to watch it on the big screen.

“There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is.”

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +972/-52
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #86 on: May 27, 2020, 04:16:30 PM
Will they be lifting off?  Heard last night fog may delay the launch.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline xXshepXx

• Pervert
    • Fame +17/-0
Reply #87 on: May 27, 2020, 05:22:03 PM
Coverage of Landmark NASA SpaceX Commercial Crew Test Flight

Today is the launch of the first manned flight to the ISS with a commercial rocket. Maybe I'll watch the live stream if I stay awake until then.

Offline MintJulie

• Global Moderator Version Number 9.7.1 POY 2016
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +815/-4
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #88 on: May 30, 2020, 09:51:18 PM
Watching Falcon and the Dragon Crew take off today, heading to the ISS.

Go Bob and Doug     caa roo coo coo caa roo coo coo.

That's from Dan, I don't know what it even means.  
"Yeah, post that picture, Jules."
Something to do with this...  

“There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is.”

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #89 on: May 30, 2020, 10:12:29 PM
Watching Falcon and the Dragon Crew take off today, heading to the ISS.

Go Bob and Doug     caa roo coo coo caa roo coo coo.

That's from Dan, I don't know what it even means.  
"Yeah, post that picture, Jules."
Something to do with this...  

My dad and cousin would be best friends with Dan.  They love that ridiculously idiotic excuse of a movie. I swear I lost half my brain cells watching that when I was a kid.... so dumb