KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Astronomy

Shiela_M · 11320

_priapism

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 11:33:55 AM
High resolution composite photo of the moon, using over 400,000 images.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2841/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 11:52:19 AM
Wow, that is a beautiful pic.  So much detail.  Too bad I cant see that detail when I actually look at it.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1749/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 03:31:36 PM
High resolution composite photo of the moon, using over 400,000 images.

I love it, Toe!

Click this link, and then click image to zoom in.

https://i.redd.it/h8imvrbshee41.jpg

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1283/-3
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 03:34:18 PM
Fantastic shot. Hell of a lot of pixels.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 12:28:05 AM
I was so excited about this up coming super moon, or snow moon, until I realized all this glorious sun and clear skies we've been getting will go away just in time for the weekend when the super moon will take place... the whole weekend.  I truly hope it changes before friday.

_priapism

Reply #26 on: February 08, 2020, 05:12:04 PM
Here’s something to get your gears turning on a Saturday morning.

This is a fairly typical galaxy called NGC (New General Catalogue) 7331. It’s a cozy 50M light-years away. Images like this one are a great teaching tool to demonstrate the vastness of space, and just what “fifty million light-years” means.

Imagine you’re a passenger on an intergenerational city-sized starship traveling a few million miles per hour (which is theoretically possible, but it’s hell on your insurance premiums). And this glorious view is what you’re seeing through the windows.

You were born on this starship. You’ll die on this starship. Your parents and grandparents were too, as will your kids and grandkids. Your starship has been hurtling along at a few million miles per hour for CENTURIES. But one day, if all goes well, one of your descendants will set foot on a planet somewhere in that galaxy looming large.

But for all of those generations, the view ahead hasn’t changed. It looks exactly the same distance to you on this day as it did to your great-great-great-grandmother, as it will to your great-great-great-granddaughter. It never appears any closer, even though you’ve been hauling ass towards it for centuries.*

Why?

Because that pittance of time, a mere 8-10 human generations is only 200-300 years (as measured on Earth). That’s less than 1/200,000th of the way to your destination. It would take TWO MILLION human generations traveling at light-speed—which isn’t possible—to make the journey in our starship.

So expecting to wake up one day and say; “Hey, NGC7331 looks closer today. I think we’re getting there!” Nope, your view won’t change. That’s like stepping on a book to get a better look at Jupiter. Are you closer? Sure. But it’s not going to look any different. Not even if you stand on a million books.

And just in case your mind isn’t thoroughly boggled just yet, NGC 7331, at 50M light-years away, is right in the neighborhood. The farthest known observable objects are 275 TIMES farther away than that.

I know... It’s like putting your brain in an orange juicer. ????

[*HOWEVER: According to Einstein’s General Theory, if you were able to achieve a velocity *near to* the speed of light—186,282 m/second. That’s 670M mph—everything onboard the starship, including you, time would slow down relative to your point of departure (hence “relativity”). That is, Earth might have aged 50M years in the time it took for the starship to get there, but you and your fellow travelers might have only aged a few thousand years.]

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 05:27:05 PM
May I also add, to further blow your... ah.... mind, that when you look out your ships window, you're not seeing the actual galaxy, but what it looked like millions of years ago, because as you travel to it, light is traveling away from it to meet you, so basically you're looking back in time.  :o

I love this stuff :sign_wow:

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1574/-3
Reply #28 on: February 09, 2020, 01:17:15 PM

Even our own sun isn't exactly where we see it as its light takes approx. 8 minutes to reach us.

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #29 on: February 09, 2020, 02:47:06 PM

Even our own sun isn't exactly where we see it as its light takes approx. 8 minutes to reach us.

And that's just how long it takes to get from the sun the earth, that particle of light can be stuck traveling around inside the sun for hundreds of years before breaking free of its gravity and fusion

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 03:27:59 PM
Got a good look at the Snow Moon last night. Coming home from a party, the full moon of February brightly lit the early evening sky.

Tonight not so lucky. Instead of a Snow Moon we're getting snow. Coming down hard now and expected to continue most the day.  Glad I got a look last night.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 03:44:53 PM
Got a good look at the Snow Moon last night. Coming home from a party, the full moon of February brightly lit the early evening sky.

Tonight not so lucky. Instead of a Snow Moon we're getting snow. Coming down hard now and expected to continue most the day.  Glad I got a look last night.

I had nothing but clouds.  Clouds clouds clouds.  Never hated clouds so much in my life, until of course they cover the next supermoon.

Stupid clouds with their stupid snow  :emot_banghead:

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3071/-41
Reply #32 on: February 09, 2020, 07:51:43 PM

I saw it last night around 11 pm (EST). It was spectacular: it looked perfectly round, and it was much whiter than normal.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

_priapism

Reply #33 on: February 09, 2020, 08:09:54 PM

I saw it last night around 11 pm (EST). It was spectacular: it looked perfectly round, and it was much whiter than normal.

Yes.  My thoughts exactly.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 09:24:05 PM
Toe...what stars are you looking at??? :emot_laughing:

_priapism

Reply #35 on: February 09, 2020, 09:45:41 PM

Full moon.  Perfectly round.  And whiter than normal.  I’m sorry what are we talking about?  :emot_laughing:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:27:07 PM by ToeinH2O »

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 10:27:07 PM

The collapsed star.  Those black holes are usually more difficult to see.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 10:44:09 PM
What a board. :emot_laughing:

Only on KB can a scientific discussion about astronomy veer off into a perverted direction. What's next? ;D

_priapism

Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 11:28:10 PM

Only on KB can a scientific discussion about astronomy veer off into a perverted direction. What's next? ;D

This?

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #39 on: February 10, 2020, 12:37:22 AM

This?

And that boys and girls are where galaxies come from.  Next week we'll discover what happens when we remove Orion's belt