KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Pet shaming. Why must everyone adopt a shelter animal?

Guest · 585

_priapism

on: February 23, 2020, 11:25:42 PM

*** goes to the petstore ***

Adopt, don't shop, rescuing is so much sexier  :emot_kiss:

Shiela_M, I’m not picking on you, but here is what I have never understood.  Why is buying a dog or cat “bad,” but “rescuing” a shelter animal is “good”?

There are a finite number of pets available.  If someone chooses to rescue a shelter animal, doesn’t the dog for sale still need a home?  Why is “rescuing” a pet from a breeder or pet store less honorable than obtaining a pet from a shelter?

Some people want a specific breed, for a specific purpose or preference.  If I provide a “pure bred” dog a home, is that less honorable that taking some mangy cur home?

Bill Burr’s take on it:

I actually—I did not want to get a rescue dog. I did not want to do that. My girl was all about it. She was like, “we should rescue a dog. Do you want to rescue a dog?” I’m like, “no, no, I don’t.” She’s like, “why not? I go, “because i think a lot of the dogs down at the pound might be a little fucked in the head. You ever thought about that?” Dude, the shelter is not a pet store. That is like shawshank for a golden retriever. Why don’t we just go down to the prison and rescue an inmate and just roll the dice that maybe the guy was wrongly convicted? Are you out of your mind? Fuck that. I want a brand-new 2020 bulldog, all right? I don’t want some 2005 half-a-labrador with part of its ear chewed off, you know? I’ve got to put together its backstory. Every time I go to use the toaster, it starts freaking out, because his last owner hung him from the ceiling fan every time the jets didn’t cover the over, you know? Dude, that’s an animal, man. That thing can kill you. Dude, a rabid squirrel, how fast a squirrel is. If I was walking home at night minding my own business, but all of a sudden, some squirrel starting running at me, by the time I process like, “is that a rat? Is that mechanical?” that dude would be up my leg taking chunks out of the side of my head. I’d have to tell that story for the rest of my life in a bar. “Dude, what happened to the side of your head?” “A fuckin’ squirrel, all right? Christ, you don’t think I’m sensitive?” No, I’m not trying to say all those dogs are bad down there, but what if I accidentally get one of those cujos or old yellers, right? I’m telling you, they love dogs down there so much, you’ve got to watch out what they tell you. I was down there. There was this one dog. This thing was staring at me so goddamned hard, maniac-looking dog. I’m like, “what’s up with this dog?” she was just like, “oh, he was chained to pallette in a junkyard his entire life.” And I’m like, “does it have any issues?” she’s like, “he’s a little aggressive.” It’s like, “well, were you gonna tell me that shit? Were you just gonna thrown it in my hatchback and let me figure it out on the ride home?” The thing’s pulling out a sharpened toothbrush to stick in my neck. No, that’s what I’m saying. What if I accidentally get one of those crazy dogs, I get up at 2:00 in the morning to take a leak, and that is the exact moment its previous owner used to come home shit-faced, beat the crap out of the dog? I have no idea what I’m setting off. I’m sitting there shuffling along in my slippers, tying my robe. Meanwhile, the dog’s getting all amped up like, “fuck this shit, man. I promised myself I wouldn’t let this happen again. It’s time to man-up. Let’s do this on three. One, two, three.” Augh! It comes flying at me. I’m gonna be laying in the ground in a pool of my own blood.

So I did not get a shelter dog.  I have an adorable pet with no major issues.  That doesn’t make me a bad person.  I provided an animal a loving home and family environment.  One less dog that needs a family.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2945/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 11:45:08 PM
I don't shame people who buy dogs.  A guy who takes good care of his pet is still hot in my eyes no matter where he got gim/her from.

Now a breeder had a dog, that dog has a litter and after the proper waiting time the puppy is sold and goes off to a family.  Dogs are not like people.  This puppy grows up with these people, bonds itself to them, loves them and then all of a sudden...

We have to move, dog goes to the shelter
Can't take care of it, goes to the shelter
Having a kid, goes to the shelter

Not all breeders are like this.  The good ones have stipulations saying if you cant take care of it you must bring it back to the breeder and they will find them a new home.  I have respect for those people.

So now this dog who's only known one life is now dumped off at the shelter, its scared, doesn't know what's going on, and lives in a 4 foot by 6 foot cage with dozens of other scared dogs barking and whining. Who only get a few moments out of there cage a day.  So when a person goes in and rescues them from that.... yeah I think that sexy as hell.

So yeah go buy a purebred, care for it, and love it.  I've got zero problem at all with that.  But working with shelters and volunteering at them.  I will always push for people to adopt.

Perhaps I should have said "adopt before you shop"

And as for bill burr.... he's a comedian... he is not to be taken serious.  Those "fucked in the head dogs" are most likely euthanized.  Every shelter MUST, by law, put a hold on all dogs while they are evaluated for social/behavioral problems.

_priapism

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 12:10:58 AM
It just seems like anytime someone says “I want a Dachshund,” or “I want a Labrador.”  People start screaming out, “Oh, you should adopt a shelter pet instead!”

I’m sure many shelter pets make good pets.  But so do Dachsunds.  If someone wants a Dachshund and takes a Dachshund, it’s not like they have shelter blood on their hands.  But there are people who think this way.  They are more concerned about a dog being put down than they are about refugee children in cages on the border.

In my work with international orphans, I’ve seen some of these rabid animal rights people say that sponsoring a third world child is “too much responsibility” but they repost every dog item that comes across their news feed.

Over the past two generations, families have gotten a lot smaller. The general American birth rate is half of what it was in 1960. Since 2012, most American family households have no children. There are more American homes with pets than with kids. In 1970, about 20 percent of households had five or more people. As of 2012, only 9.6 percent did.

So it seems that, for a sizable percentage of Americans, pets have replaced children, and seem to have greater merit and value in many people’s eyes.  Which is great for pets, but really shitty for kids.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:43:31 AM by ToeinH2O »

_priapism

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 01:40:27 AM
There are 63.4 million households with a pet dog in the United States, 77 Millions dogs total.  Of those, 3.3 Million dogs show up at shelters and dog pounds each year, and about 1/3 of those are euthanized, about 1.2 Million per year.  But an estimated 6.4 Million dogs are born in the US each year.  So increased shelter adoptions will not put much of a dent in either the number of dogs, the demand for dogs, or the total number of dogs.  I’m all for shelter adoptions.  But I think a pet is a purely personal choice, and does not need to be labeled “bad”, simply because there are shelter animals that need a home.  There are millions more dogs that need a home also.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 01:51:20 AM
Wow, we kind shifted gears here didn't we.  So I dont want kids.  I don't want to adopt and I don't want one of my own.  Are you saying that I'm some sort of factor in some global orphan problem or something?  People have reasoning.  If you're reasoning leads you to having your child stuck in some camp or orphanage.   Perhaps you're not the right person to be having kids.  Get snipped, get tied.  If it wasn't such an invasive and expensive surgery I'd have my tubes tied already. Morning after pills are cheaper.

I'm obviously not ranting about who, what, when, where somebody should get their pet.  I've got breasts, a vagina, and claim independence, that doesn't make me a feminist. I dont hate men, I want men, I need men.  You want to manspread, go ahead, wear gym shorts and give me a real show.  I'm just giving my opinion.  If you care for your pet you're awesome.  If you love your pet and are single my number is..... oops keyboard malfunction sorry I'll try and fix that later.  I just want all the abandoned animals to have a good home. They don't understand like people do.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 02:00:45 AM
hey let's turn this depressing thread around for a second

I dont care where he bought/rescued that adorable fluffball, all I want to do is scratch the hell out of his back, fuck him into a coma and then snuggle that adorable pupper all night  :emot_wub2: :emot_wub2: :emot_wub2:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:28:37 AM by MintJulie »

_priapism

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 04:10:55 AM
Wow, we kind shifted gears here didn't we.  So I dont want kids.  I don't want to adopt and I don't want one of my own.  Are you saying that I'm some sort of factor in some global orphan problem or something?  People have reasoning.  If you're reasoning leads you to having your child stuck in some camp or orphanage.   Perhaps you're not the right person to be having kids.  Get snipped, get tied.  If it wasn't such an invasive and expensive surgery I'd have my tubes tied already. Morning after pills are cheaper.

I'm obviously not ranting about who, what, when, where somebody should get their pet.  I've got breasts, a vagina, and claim independence, that doesn't make me a feminist. I dont hate men, I want men, I need men.  You want to manspread, go ahead, wear gym shorts and give me a real show.  I'm just giving my opinion.  If you care for your pet you're awesome.  If you love your pet and are single my number is..... oops keyboard malfunction sorry I'll try and fix that later.  I just want all the abandoned animals to have a good home. They don't understand like people do.

My comments weren’t directed to you.  I have a very large number of dog advocates on my social media accounts.  Because I do so much work for Eastern European orphans, I thought they would be a good audience for hosting support in person or financially.  They obviously love living things and have empathy, right?  Nope.  Not one offered to help or donate time or money.  Which really pissed me off.  I mean, I can’t make someone care about orphans living in barrack style housing who need shoes and coats and blankets in the winter can I?  But these same people gave me shit when I bought my dog.  Triggered.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 04:53:02 AM
Oh, I am so sorry.  See I am not aware of all these details, so now knowing this, I can see your frustration and such.  If I were to label those people I think hypocrite would fit them well.  I don't even know your dog and I already love, him or her.  And I respect you because, even though I can't see it, but by what you say here and your demeanor on this thread, I can tell you treat him or her well.  Dachshund I'm guessing.  Cute little buggers. 

_priapism

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 05:37:28 AM
I bought her at a time we were suffering from an unfortunate occurrence, and we were working through grief resolution.  She cheered my wife and won over the children, so we love her very much.  I took her to Whataburger today, which she knows (and loves), so she was very animated and “talking”.  The window people know her by name and put a free hamburger in the bag for their favorite customer.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 05:58:58 AM
Oh my god  :emot_wub2: :emot_wub2: :emot_wub2:  what a darling pug.  She makes me think of the dog in the movie nut job.  She looks like she's got a very healthy looking weight and coat for a pup who eats hamburgers lol.  Beautiful girl you have there. :emot_kiss:

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 03:08:25 PM
I’m told I can’t have any more dogs after my German Shepherd passes, but I’m already practicing my woeful expression to counteract that determination.  If I do succeed, I’ll go back to getting a mutt.  I’m getting a little tired of the pure breed snobbery.  The German Shepherd was more my first wife’s desire than mine.  She also wanted the Dachshunds, while I loved our first Dachshund probably more than any other dog, I’ll never own another.  They are absolutely vicious.  The Dachshunds killed several cats, attacked and nearly killed my favorite Dachshund, the only one not vicious we had, and attacked my German Shepherd as a pup, so now she’s terrified of other dogs and very aggressive with them.

I got no issue adopting from a shelter, just haven’t done it yet.  My previous mutts came from farms, one free and one I think I paid $60 for.  They were the best dogs I had, along with the first Dachshund.

No dog has loved me more than the German Shepherd though, that dog lives for my presence and attention.  I’m her whole world, which is good since she can’t be around other dogs.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1750/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 03:43:37 PM
I took her to Whataburger today, which she knows (and loves), so she was very animated and “talking”.  The window people know her by name and put a free hamburger in the bag for their favorite customer.

Tim Horton's is a Michigan & Canada coffee/donut shop.  Dan's dog can sense when he's within a half mile of one.   Seriously, this dog goes ape sh*t crazy and takes of running toward the smell.  He almost jerked my arm out of socket once.  Dan goes through the drive thru with him in the car and the attendants always toss in a couple of TimBits (Donut Holes) for dogs.  Well, when we're out running, we have to stop, walk into the store, say my dog needs a TimBit.  Then he swallows them in one bite each.  Crazy boy.

On occasion I'll stop in at Timmy's and get a 10 pack just so that when the middle one goes back to her mom's house, she can take him a treat from me.

I think he'd really like a Watchamacallit burger.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline staci

• KB Pervert of the Year 2023
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1835/-28
Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 05:09:11 PM
"Watchamacallit burger"

Lol. Love it. Damn Yankee.

one of the originals