KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - It's Cheaper Than Therapy

News:

• Congratulations to Valley Vixin
    KB's 2020 Erotica Writer of the Year
  • Become a member for access to more areas of our message board, it's free!  Register here.
  • Congratulations to Shiela_M
    KB's 2020 Pervert of the Year

Ask the Vet. (advice)

staci · 497

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
  • As far as I know, I'm freaking delightful
Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 03:43:25 AM
  I believe I saw posted at KB that World Health Organization determined dogs are not capable of 'catching' the C Virus19.

I repeat, WHO let the dogs out.

As far as I can tell the dogs are all still here, horndogs that is hey-oh  :emot_laughing:

Ok watcher you're first you sexy bird you

Or if your real nice, I could collect a different sample for testing

May not have the best results, but collecting should be fun for all parties involved

"I'm a hazard to my health, don't let me get me"

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +972/-52
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 03:57:55 AM
OK, say when.... :emot_kiss:

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +727/-54
Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 02:50:31 AM
I've got a Nobivac Feline 1-HCPCh+ FeLV - 25ds Tray arriving tomorrow.  Since I've gathere 13 cats I've found it is far cheaper to give my cats vaccinations then to take them to the vets.

The 25 doses I've ordered cost about $300 with the shipping included.  Normally taking each cat to the vet would cost about $120 each, or $40 each if I take them to a vaccine clinic.  This is a significant savings.

Cats are easy to vaccinate as you just have to give them an injections under the skin.  The only problem is that injections have been known to increase the risk of cancer at the injection site.  This means you want to choose a site that the cat can live without should it become cancerous.

So the shoulder, the easyest of the injections sites should be avoided.  I usually pick a back leg, but better is the front leg just above the paw.  However this site is especially difficult to inject without people helping you.  I've already alerted Jefferson that he will have the cat holding duty.

Another tip:  The vaccine leaves the ampule easiest if it has more pressure in it.  So make sure the syringe has a bit of air in it when you place it in the rubber stopper.  Then push the air inside and turn the ampule upside down.  You have now created a positive pressure ampule and the vaccine will pe pushed down into the syringe.  And of course you will want to get just the tip of the needle inside so you only withdraw the vaccine into the syringe and not air.

Also, since the vaccine requires mixing, I use the same needle and syringe to mix all the vaccine I need.  When I'm done I discard that particular syringe as the needle will have become dulled by puncturing so many rubber stoppers.  The cats are far less likely to object or feel a very sharp syringe.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 03:16:32 AM
I've got a Nobivac Feline 1-HCPCh+ FeLV - 25ds Tray arriving tomorrow.  Since I've gathere 13 cats I've found it is far cheaper to give my cats vaccinations then to take them to the vets.

The 25 doses I've ordered cost about $300 with the shipping included.  Normally taking each cat to the vet would cost about $120 each, or $40 each if I take them to a vaccine clinic.  This is a significant savings.

Cats are easy to vaccinate as you just have to give them an injections under the skin.  The only problem is that injections have been known to increase the risk of cancer at the injection site.  This means you want to choose a site that the cat can live without should it become cancerous.

So the shoulder, the easyest of the injections sites should be avoided.  I usually pick a back leg, but better is the front leg just above the paw.  However this site is especially difficult to inject without people helping you.  I've already alerted Jefferson that he will have the cat holding duty.

Another tip:  The vaccine leaves the ampule easiest if it has more pressure in it.  So make sure the syringe has a bit of air in it when you place it in the rubber stopper.  Then push the air inside and turn the ampule upside down.  You have now created a positive pressure ampule and the vaccine will pe pushed down into the syringe.  And of course you will want to get just the tip of the needle inside so you only withdraw the vaccine into the syringe and not air.

Also, since the vaccine requires mixing, I use the same needle and syringe to mix all the vaccine I need.  When I'm done I discard that particular syringe as the needle will have become dulled by puncturing so many rubber stoppers.  The cats are far less likely to object or feel a very sharp syringe.

Hey hey hey, what is this?  You're taking food outta my mouth with these accurate DIY tips.  Or worse yet your taking TP outta my bathroom.

Its automatically $60 as soon as you pet enters an exam room and depending on the wellness checks we do determines additional costs.  We will never suggest it to you, but you have a pet like Lois' rescue ask to take medicines home to do it yourself.  Depending how expensive they are or if they contain controlled substances we cant let you take them.

As an added note whatever the dosage, that's how much air you want to push into ampule (funny you using the proper term when most of the people I work with, and myself, just call it a medicine bottle)

Not stop trying to put me out of a job  :emot_laughing:

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +727/-54
Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 04:47:33 AM
I've been doing TNR for a while now.  It's the first trip to the vet that is the most costly.  :emot_kiss:
I doubt I'm taking any business from you.  Most folks just have a couple of cats or dogs and it makes no sense to buy 25 doses of anything.

Now what I really need help with is imobilizing techniques.  Cats can get real squirmy, ya know?

Also you can get most vaccines for animals without a prescription.  I order from Allivet.

Rabies is the only vaccine you have to be a licensed vet to purchase and administer.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:50 AM
Myself and a few coworkers have brought up the possibility of using a CBD spray to assist in calming pets who are a little too rambunctious,  we used to try using catnip but the process takes too long for us to do.  CBD probably wouldnt be much quicker and my boss says it would be a waste of time and money.  He doesn't believe it's any good.

For the most part we just place the injections between the shoulders.  It's seemingly less painful for both the animal and for those trying to handle the animal.  Especially cats, since most people have thankfully stopped declawing them.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +727/-54
Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 07:16:16 AM
I do between the shoulders if I can't get them be still.

As for the cancer risk, I've never had it happen, but my vet says there is a risk.

Offline MintJulie

• Global Moderator Version Number 9.7.1 POY 2016
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +815/-4
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 02:57:50 PM

Hey hey hey, what is this?  You're taking food outta my mouth with these accurate DIY tips.  Or worse yet your taking TP outta my bathroom.

I realize some here are afraid to Boo, Lois.  I'm not.   Give me the word and I won't hesitate.    

Taking TP from a starving vet tech!?    wth

In all seriousness, thanks for your vet tips.   I don't nor will I ever have a pet, but I see how helpful this thread can be.  So a woo to Liz for starting it and woo to you for contributing your knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:32:05 PM by MintJulie »

“There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is.”

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +972/-52
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 07:43:52 PM
13 cats?  Shiela, you could work full time for Lois. 8)

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:26 PM
13 cats?  Shiela, you could work full time for Lois. 8)

Lol, I know right, but it sounds like Lois has everything under control  ;D

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +727/-54
Reply #40 on: March 18, 2020, 07:42:45 AM
I still have to go to the vet for teeth extractions.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #41 on: March 18, 2020, 02:48:27 PM
Going to get strange at work I think.  The dog that tested positive for covid-19 has passed.  Strangely after the tests came up negative.  Owner will not allow an autopsy so there is no clear cause of death.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +972/-52
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 03:26:52 PM
I still have to go to the vet for teeth extractions.

Most go to a dentist..... :emot_laughing:

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +972/-52
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #43 on: March 20, 2020, 04:22:02 PM
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:52:49 PM by MintJulie »

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Fame +357/-1
Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 03:18:09 PM

:emot_laughing: :emot_laughing: :emot_laughing:
He needs better techs, I would have stopped her crazy at the door.
That pig though  :emot_laughing: :emot_laughing: :emot_laughing: