KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Action or build up first?

knobslobber · 1417

Offline knobslobber

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +12/-0
on: February 25, 2020, 02:04:42 AM
I have a story I am writing that has a lot of build up (at least in my head) that should be told. Should the story follow it's natural course or should I do the build up as an epilogue? This will be my first posted long-form story so I would love to get it rightish. Thank you for your replies!

Sometimes perfection can be... perfect hell.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2839/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:24:09 AM
I am in the same boat.  My guest attempt at fantasy fiction and character building. I was worried that it's taking too long to get to the "action" because there is literally a lot other stuff before hand.  I want developed characters this time so I'm just writing and letting the story unfold as I do.

What I would tell you is, just write your story and let what happens happen. :emot_kiss:

Offline knobslobber

• Pervert
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 11:17:13 AM
Thank you for the reply.

So far the forward (before any action) is about 8K words.

Offline knobslobber

• Pervert
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 11:24:37 AM
I am in the same boat.  My guest attempt at fantasy fiction and character building. I was worried that it's taking too long to get to the "action" because there is literally a lot other stuff before hand.  I want developed characters this time so I'm just writing and letting the story unfold as I do.

What I would tell you is, just write your story and let what happens happen. :emot_kiss:
If I were to do a lot of stories that spawn from this one, I would absolutely do the ramp up. this could end up being 100k or more over time.

Just more info. I started writing it last night but in a way I can compartmentalize it if need be ans so far, the back story is about 8k words.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:49:58 AM by knobslobber »

Offline purpleshoes

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +428/-10
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 03:37:08 PM
The buildup is what makes the rest of the story make sense. Don't skimp on it is my advice. Length is  mostly irrelevant. Some stories are complete in 4000 words, other may take 100k.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3070/-41
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:48:31 PM

Length is mostly irrelevant.

That's not what she said...  ;)

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline knobslobber

• Pervert
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 10:37:26 PM
The buildup is what makes the rest of the story make sense. Don't skimp on it is my advice. Length is  mostly irrelevant. Some stories are complete in 4000 words, other may take 100k.

I'm not skimping on it and if this were a published novel, I would place it up front.The prelude is written and I could post I guess or it could be the follow up so readers could read it after the end of the story.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2839/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:52:30 PM
I personally enjoy the build up.  I love reading so the more there is to the story the better.  If I know more about the characters and such the more involved I become with the story.  For example one of the books I'm reading now just killed off my favorite character and I cried for about an hour.

Not to mention that when you finally get to the action itll make it that much better.  Like watching a tv series and having to wait seasons before your favorite characters get together.

Just dont short change us when you finally get to the action.   8 pages of story and then "they have sex"  the end lol :emot_laughing:

Offline knobslobber

• Pervert
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:33:16 PM
Just dont short change us when you finally get to the action.   8 pages of story and then "they have sex"  the end lol :emot_laughing:
Oh, not a chance on that. Like I said, this could EASILY  be 100K or more.

Offline purpleshoes

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +428/-10
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 12:57:40 PM

Length is mostly irrelevant.

That's not what she said...  ;)

So that's where your mind went? Interesting.

Offline APDamien

• Not Yet A Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-0
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 08:06:22 AM
I have a story I am writing that has a lot of build up (at least in my head) that should be told. Should the story follow it's natural course or should I do the build up as an epilogue? This will be my first posted long-form story so I would love to get it rightish. Thank you for your replies!
Start writing it the way you think it wants to be told. If you're wrong, you'll find out when the story "refuses" to go any further.

I started my most recent story ("Ten Girls" MF+, oral, anal, snuff, hanging, cons) at the beginning, with the protagonist signing her snuff contract. And the story bogged down, didn't make any sense.

So I started over, in medias res, with the protagonist watching one of the other girls get hanged. Then I carried it forward with breaks for meals, sex, sleep, and threw in a flashback of the contract signing when it seemed called for. After that, the story went fairly easily.

Offline Lou Noke

• Not Yet A Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +1/-0
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 07:15:18 PM

Let's be honest; people read these for the action. I do very little build up, just enough to set the scene and let the reader fill in the blanks.

Offline Levorotatory

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +19/-0
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:25:42 AM
In fantasy, as in real life, the action is so much more satisfying when it comes after a nice long buildup.

Offline Rainwater

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +14/-19
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 07:50:31 PM
Personally, I think the buildup of a story, written the right way, can be interwoven with the action itself.  I think there is nothing than beginning to read and you are already into the story.  At the same time, you feel like you know the characters within a couple of paragraphs.   The real buildup is the suspense, the anticipation of what is to come.  But the buildup itself can be fun, toying with the reader, creating more and more tension until they cannot stand it.

Live while you live for you're a long time dead.

Offline bula

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +5/-0
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 08:41:05 PM
Most movies and a lot of books open with an attention grabber. It doesn't have to particularly relevant to the rest of the story. It could introduce a character, a location, or a situation.

As others have said. The most important thing is to tell the story the way you feel it should be told. If you don't get paid to write, then the most important thing is to have fun while writing.

Offline Sweetums

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +97/-1
  • Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Don't listen to me.
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 01:02:15 AM

Here's what'cha do. Write all the build up. Start with the action and keep writing from there. Where possible, slip in all the build up stuff as you proceed. If it's information, put it right before the reader needs it before getting completely confused. If it's a scene, you can make it a flashback.

Offline DiscipleN

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +29/-1
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 08:36:12 PM
Here's an answer the original question, from a different angle. The general mood of a sexy story should be sexy. Of course, the moment to moment events should range in emotions, however, you're writing to create an arousing fantasy for the reader.

I've read hot stories that jumped right into incredibly bizarre shit, after a couple sentences of preamble. I've read smouldering prose that slowly raised my excitement before following through with hot, sizzling action. I prefer the latter, but sometimes I just want to beat one off and go do normal shit.

Final answer. If you want to write a long intro, make it steamy or laden it with potential.

Offline Colin Piper

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +48/-1
  • In fantasy world, anything goes.
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 06:11:32 AM
IMO a buildup or slow burn is much better. If you can develop the characters into believable whole people in the reader's mind, then by the time the sexy action starts it's much more exciting.

There again, as in real life, there are times where you just want quick and dirty.

These are different forms of story. What they should have in common is some sort of hook at the beginning, preferably in the first line - something that gets you interested, even if it's not sexual action. Someone earlier mentioned in media res - in other words, into the middle of the action or story. Into the middle of the action could be in a speeding car barrelling down a dusty road at nighttime (see how effective the "barrelling" action verb is?). Or someone running into a burning house.

Into the middle of a story can be trickier, but a great way to not get bogged down at the beginning. A great story I read on Leslita started with the babysitter going to a particular house for the second time. The first time consensual sexual stuff was told in flashback, but the second time, where the story starts, the girl being looked after had a "I'm going tell mom and dad" attitude, which caused tension and conflict right from the beginning. Really clever.

Anyway, check out the first line of impressive stories - you'll probably see the technique in action.