KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action or build up first?  (Read 223 times)
knobslobber
Pervert

Fame 10

« on: February 25, 2020, 02:04:42 AM »

I have a story I am writing that has a lot of build up (at least in my head) that should be told. Should the story follow it's natural course or should I do the build up as an epilogue? This will be my first posted long-form story so I would love to get it rightish. Thank you for your replies!

Sometimes perfection can be... perfect hell.
Shiela_M
Freakishly Strange

Fame 287

Germans do it better. German Americans do it best

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:24:09 AM »

I am in the same boat.  My guest attempt at fantasy fiction and character building. I was worried that it's taking too long to get to the "action" because there is literally a lot other stuff before hand.  I want developed characters this time so I'm just writing and letting the story unfold as I do.

What I would tell you is, just write your story and let what happens happen. emot_kiss

"I'm a hazard to my health, don't let me get me"
knobslobber
Pervert

Fame 10

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 11:17:13 AM »

Thank you for the reply.

So far the forward (before any action) is about 8K words.

knobslobber
Pervert

Fame 10

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »

I am in the same boat.  My guest attempt at fantasy fiction and character building. I was worried that it's taking too long to get to the "action" because there is literally a lot other stuff before hand.  I want developed characters this time so I'm just writing and letting the story unfold as I do.

What I would tell you is, just write your story and let what happens happen. emot_kiss
If I were to do a lot of stories that spawn from this one, I would absolutely do the ramp up. this could end up being 100k or more over time.

Just more info. I started writing it last night but in a way I can compartmentalize it if need be ans so far, the back story is about 8k words.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:49:58 AM by knobslobber » Logged

purpleshoes
Deviant

Fame 45

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 03:37:08 PM »

The buildup is what makes the rest of the story make sense. Don't skimp on it is my advice. Length is  mostly irrelevant. Some stories are complete in 4000 words, other may take 100k.
MissBarbara
Burnt at the stake
Burnt at the stake

Fame 2296

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »

Length is mostly irrelevant.

That's not what she said...  Wink

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

knobslobber
Pervert

Fame 10

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »

The buildup is what makes the rest of the story make sense. Don't skimp on it is my advice. Length is  mostly irrelevant. Some stories are complete in 4000 words, other may take 100k.

I'm not skimping on it and if this were a published novel, I would place it up front.The prelude is written and I could post I guess or it could be the follow up so readers could read it after the end of the story.

Shiela_M
Freakishly Strange

Fame 287

Germans do it better. German Americans do it best

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:52:30 PM »

I personally enjoy the build up.  I love reading so the more there is to the story the better.  If I know more about the characters and such the more involved I become with the story.  For example one of the books I'm reading now just killed off my favorite character and I cried for about an hour.

Not to mention that when you finally get to the action itll make it that much better.  Like watching a tv series and having to wait seasons before your favorite characters get together.

Just dont short change us when you finally get to the action.   8 pages of story and then "they have sex"  the end lol emot_laughing

"I'm a hazard to my health, don't let me get me"
knobslobber
Pervert

Fame 10

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:33:16 PM »

Just dont short change us when you finally get to the action.   8 pages of story and then "they have sex"  the end lol emot_laughing
Oh, not a chance on that. Like I said, this could EASILY  be 100K or more.

purpleshoes
Deviant

Fame 45

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 12:57:40 PM »

Length is mostly irrelevant.

That's not what she said...  Wink

So that's where your mind went? Interesting.
APDamien
Not Yet A Pervert

Fame 0

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 08:06:22 AM »

I have a story I am writing that has a lot of build up (at least in my head) that should be told. Should the story follow it's natural course or should I do the build up as an epilogue? This will be my first posted long-form story so I would love to get it rightish. Thank you for your replies!
Start writing it the way you think it wants to be told. If you're wrong, you'll find out when the story "refuses" to go any further.

I started my most recent story ("Ten Girls" MF+, oral, anal, snuff, hanging, cons) at the beginning, with the protagonist signing her snuff contract. And the story bogged down, didn't make any sense.

So I started over, in medias res, with the protagonist watching one of the other girls get hanged. Then I carried it forward with breaks for meals, sex, sleep, and threw in a flashback of the contract signing when it seemed called for. After that, the story went fairly easily.
Lou Noke
Not Yet A Pervert

Fame 1

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 07:15:18 PM »

Let's be honest; people read these for the action. I do very little build up, just enough to set the scene and let the reader fill in the blanks.
Levorotatory
Deviant

Fame 19

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:25:42 AM »

In fantasy, as in real life, the action is so much more satisfying when it comes after a nice long buildup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: