KRISTEN'S BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Up Goes Major League Baseball - Sorta  (Read 42 times)
msslave
Freakishly Strange

Fame 390

Co-POY 2019

« on: May 11, 2020, 10:10:53 PM »

MLB owners have agreed to a plan to start the baseball season around the 4th of July with "Spring" training beginning in June.  Games will be played without spectators! 

Is that baseball without the roar of the crowd? No vendors walking through the stands yelling, "Cold beer"! "Hot Dogs,  gettch yer hot dogs here!"
Golly, not even a "Kiss Cam" for those parks that have that. Oh yeah, 40% of a teams revenue comes from ticket sales and concessions. "Ouch!"

Season will be trimmed to 82 games. Postseason play would be expanded from 10 clubs to 14 by doubling wild cards in each league to four.

Now we need to see what the player's union has to say about the proposal.

https://www.startribune.com/ap-source-mlb-owners-approve-plan-to-start-season-in-july/570376232/

Well trained and been made compliant....by our two cats.
purpleshoes
Degenerate

Fame 22

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »

My guess is the players are not going to like it, mostly because the owners will want them to take a pay cut due to the diminished revenue.

On the one hand I can see the players side. They have no ownership interest, they are simply 'employees' who have contracted a specific amount of money for their services and the owners now want them to share the business losses.

On the other hand, the average MLB player salary is just under $3 million a year. I don't think anyone needs to be paid $18,000 for every game, whether they play or not. And that's for a 162-game schedule. If only 82 games are played, that would be $36,000 for every game that gets played.

The highest paid players make over $200,000 per game in a normal year. I don't have much sympathy for either side.

watcher1
Burnt at the stake

Fame 797

Gentleman Pervert

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:14:48 PM »

The highest paid players makes $200,000 per game? Wow! No wonder I have lost interest in pro baseball.

A naughty thought is a terrible thing to waste
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: