KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

CJ's nostalgia and nonsense topic.

Guest · 3451

ChirpingGirl

Reply #60 on: June 11, 2020, 02:10:19 AM
Nostalgic nonsense.

A bunch of internet people remade RoboCop a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyKPJbYTxno

ChirpingGirl

Reply #61 on: June 14, 2020, 12:28:44 AM
Not really nostalgia, technically.

Can you believe they made this just by playing a video game?  :emot_weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhA3mnGA6Ek

ChirpingGirl

Reply #62 on: June 17, 2020, 06:06:14 AM
Nonsense.

Coming to America, the unsold TV pilot. Yes, another attempt to make a movie into a TV show. 1 episode is all they could accomplish with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTJeF61J8oM

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1604/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #64 on: July 03, 2020, 03:37:54 PM
They're back... ;D

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #65 on: July 03, 2020, 05:54:05 PM
They're back... ;D

Yeah, I don't know about this. There's no such thing as music videos anymore and it'll be watered down to appease an audience that doesn't watch it anyway. CJ's gonna have to give this a... thumbs down pending evidence they won't fuck it up.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #66 on: July 03, 2020, 05:57:15 PM
I remember when their movie came out, sometime in the 90s. My daughter and her friends wanted to go see it so I took them.  Think I was one of only a handful of adults in the theater and had to sit through an hour plus of that god-awful laugh of theirs. It was a very long hour plus half watching that movie.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #67 on: July 03, 2020, 06:02:44 PM
I remember when their movie came out, sometime in the 90s. My daughter and her friends wanted to go see it so I took them.  Think I was one of only a handful of adults in the theater and had to sit through an hour plus of that god-awful laugh of theirs. It was a very long hour plus half watching that movie.

I don't think the laugh will be the problem with it this time around.  :facepalm:

ChirpingGirl

Reply #68 on: July 24, 2020, 06:02:04 AM
Nostalgia.

Bill And Ted 3 is pretty much skipping theaters and hitting VOD in September. While all the other would be Summer blockbusters are being canned for another year or so, Bill And Ted just might prove what the industry refuses to accept: It's over for theaters. In our living room alone we have a fucking gigantic HDTV. In my room we have another one. Every room in this house has an HDTV with streaming capability. Remind me again why we even need movie theaters? The simple answer is we don't.

Theater employees have probably all started to move on and owners are most certainly seeing the writing on the wall if they refused to see it before. Like video stores, it's over. They just refuse to let it go. I hope Bill And Ted makes a fortune on VOD. CJ will be buying it.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gPGeAYo3yU
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:05:49 AM by ChirpingGirl »

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3085/-41
Reply #69 on: July 24, 2020, 03:52:44 PM

Remind me again why we even need movie theaters?

I can think of three reasons:

1) Many Americans are not wealthy enough to be able to subscribe to multiple streaming services.

2) Many Americans can't afford to pay for high-speed internet services

3) Many Americans don't have the family income to buy "a fucking gigantic HDTV. In my room we have another one. Every room in this house has an HDTV with streaming capability."

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Online Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2946/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #70 on: July 24, 2020, 04:20:01 PM

1) Many Americans are not wealthy enough to be able to subscribe to multiple streaming services.

3) Many Americans don't have the family income to buy "a fucking gigantic HDTV. In my room we have another one. Every room in this house has an HDTV with streaming capability."

Plus a lot of us who aren't tied down by ankle biters enjoy a night out watching cinematic adventures on the big screen.  And drive-ins are the best.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1753/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #71 on: July 24, 2020, 04:23:39 PM

Plus a lot of us who aren't tied down by ankle biters enjoy a night out watching cinematic adventures on the big screen.  And drive-ins are the best.

Love the theatre experience.
Love the drive-in even more, especially after my first kiss from Dan being at the Ford Drive In.
And Ghostbusters is playing there this weekend with the Karate Kid as a double feature.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

ChirpingGirl

Reply #72 on: July 24, 2020, 05:31:25 PM

You can buy HDTVS for like under $30 these days. I know because I bought a 19 inch 1080P one for $25 recently and gave it to a friend of mine for their new apartment. And you don't need to buy streaming services. I regret getting Disney+ :roll: I currently have no intention to renew it when it expires. And you can get reduced price internet if you're low income. Probably even free.

You can cut the cord and not really miss anything of worth these days, there are plenty of websites with free streaming TV. I practically have Pluto TVs star trek channel on all the time now.  :roll: And of course you can watch anything you want without paying for it, we all know that. Even if you have a cheap chromebook or something, you don't need a TV. You can still watch anything you want.

And Ghostbusters is playing there this weekend with the Karate Kid as a double feature.

I would only consider a trip to a theater for Ghostbusters. But even then I'd be like "I can just watch it here and in HD."  ;D

Theaters are dying. All the big movies are delayed another year. More movies being knocked back to even further releases years down the road. They can't survive like this and that's just the way it is. They've been doomed for years now, they just haven't accepted it. CJ can't do anything about that, I can't work that kind of a miracle. :emot_shrug: During all this the movie industry flatly refused to embrace streaming as celebrities told everyone to stay home or you'll murder someone with a cough.  :roll: There was record streaming of online content and people playing video games but they're still hell bent on theatrical releases.

I don't fuckin' know. I'm moving on.  :roll:

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3085/-41
Reply #73 on: July 24, 2020, 05:59:51 PM

I understand where you're coming from but a trip to a cinema is arguably less affordable than streaming. If you can't afford a month's worth of Netflix and access a device to stream it on then a trip to the cinema would be a luxury well outside your limited means. The response of cinemas to dwindling demand has been to hike up prices, which I'm personally fine with since I'm happy to support cinemas for now. It does mean that the cinema experience is now less an accessible means of viewing movies and more a means of viewing movies as their creators intended them to be seen, at a premium.

That is the argument for cinemas now, I think. Regardless of the size of TVs, there is no way to accurately recreate the cinema experience in an ordinary home yet, either in terms of the audiovisual presentation or the communal aspect.

You're probably right. Here in NYC, which likely has the highest ticket prices in the nation, taking a family of five to the movies will cost around $65-70. And that's not including aggressively overpriced snacks.

Still, after a quick check of the Best Buy web site, "a fucking gigantic HDTV" costs anywhere from $800 to $2,500. That's outside the price range of many Americans, and "every room in this house has an HDTV with streaming capability" is beyond the budget of even middle class Americans.

Your main point is correct. I live on a fairly tight budget. and I have an HDTV (I think it's 32") and two streaming subscriptions (plus cable to watch soccer matches), and that easily fits in my budget. There's also some validity to the assertions that Americans are getting out of the habit of "going to the movies," and in some U.S. cities, including my own, movie theaters likely won't re-open until 2021. Some Summer Blockbusters have been "released" via streaming already, or will be shortly, for around $20. That's a lot cheaper than the $65-70 figure I mentioned. And if you have "a fucking gigantic HDTV" and a fucking awesome sound system, it comes pretty close to capturing the cinema experience.

While I know very little about this topic, I can only imagine how much money the studios are losing. The $20 vs. $70 savings is great for families, but it's a $50 net loss for the studios. Per family, per movie. Plus, most productions have been shut down for the last four months, and have only recently recently re-opened in some parts of the country. So the studios will go from having a glut of unreleased content to have a dearth of content.

And I agree that people miss the "movie-going experience." I know I do, especially, as you noted, the communal aspects. 

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #74 on: July 24, 2020, 06:03:43 PM
Nostalgia.

Bill And Ted 3 is pretty much skipping theaters and hitting VOD in September. While all the other would be Summer blockbusters are being canned for another year or so, Bill And Ted just might prove what the industry refuses to accept: It's over.

There is a Bill and Ted 3?  Is Keanu Reeves in it?

ChirpingGirl

Reply #75 on: July 24, 2020, 06:11:40 PM
Nostalgia.

Bill And Ted 3 is pretty much skipping theaters and hitting VOD in September. While all the other would be Summer blockbusters are being canned for another year or so, Bill And Ted just might prove what the industry refuses to accept: It's over.

There is a Bill and Ted 3?  Is Keanu Reeves in it?

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #76 on: July 24, 2020, 06:17:16 PM
I preferred the original Back to the Future, as I preferred the original Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. The Think McFly has me lost... ;D ;D

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #77 on: August 08, 2020, 05:52:39 PM
A sequel to Dirty Dancing is in the works, to be produced by Jennifer Grey, one of the original cast. She said the sequel will hold pretty true to the original.

On another note, Ren and Stimpy will be returning to television.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #78 on: August 08, 2020, 06:06:19 PM
A sequel to Dirty Dancing is in the works, to be produced by Jennifer Grey, one of the original cast. She said the sequel will hold pretty true to the original.

Like anybody wants to watch that without Patrick Swayze. And they rebooted Ren and Stimpy once before. It was awful.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #79 on: August 08, 2020, 10:00:38 PM

Like anybody wants to watch that without Patrick Swayze. And they rebooted Ren and Stimpy once before. It was awful.

I was more partial to Jennifer Grey.  8)   Now Patrick Swayze and Chris Farley in the SNL Chippendale skit...