KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

What news source do you trust the most?

Guest · 2496

_priapism

on: September 09, 2020, 02:21:46 AM
Okay, got the poll option figured out.  These are the top 15 online news sites, based on daily traffic as of August 1, 2020.  Which of these do you prefer? Please comment below on your favorites, and why...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:52:24 AM by ToeinH2O »

ChirpingGirl

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 02:50:18 AM
None of the above.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:38:31 AM by ToeinH2O »

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 03:22:53 AM
PBS

Couldn't find any newsource that you had listed that was similar.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-52
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 06:51:10 AM
OANN.

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2945/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 07:37:20 AM
What, no social media choices?   :emot_laughing:

Offline Indian Babe

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +80/-1
  • Learning the fine art of pervs
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 07:56:42 AM
Guardian and Reuters for international news and a couple of Indian outfits for local,  NDTV and Hindu mainly.

Offline Indian Babe

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +80/-1
  • Learning the fine art of pervs

Gonfalon

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 08:15:26 AM
Guardian and Reuters for international news and a couple of Indian outfits for local,  NDTV and Hindu mainly.

Ah, another Guardian reader. I used to subscribe to the online edition, then cancelled my subscription after reading a poorly researched article full of factual errors. One year later I was back, and these days I count to ten (or twenty) before unsubscribing from news sources.

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 12:17:20 PM
Usually it's a conglomerate.  If it's a big story, mutiple credible outlets are going to independently fact check it and report on it.

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1583/-3
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 02:07:39 PM
I'm curious to know how the Daily Mail got onto a predominantly USA list and not The Times (and surprised at the popularity of the Grauniad, admittedly in a very small sample).

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3080/-41
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 04:02:39 PM

I'm curious to know how the Daily Mail got onto a predominantly USA list and not The Times (and surprised at the popularity of the Grauniad, admittedly in a very small sample).

I'm a big fan of the Guardian as well -- especially their coverage of U.S. News. They bring a cool insight into U.S. news that many American papers miss.

I also read the print edition of the New York Times every day. I recognize that at times it can be less than completely objective, but I'm a critical enough reader to see through that. It's still the most comprehensive American newspaper.

I think most Americans don't read The Times because it's hidden behind a paywall, and we don't want to pony up to read its content.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

ChirpingGirl

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 04:03:05 PM
I did not start this topic, by the way. Toe did.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2945/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 05:11:51 PM
We get the times along with other materials at my work. I read them during break or when it's slow.  After I get done with Highlights of course  ;D

_priapism

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 05:35:48 PM
I did not start this topic, by the way. Toe did.

Awkward timeline.  I created a poll.  Several members commented.  I decided to change the poll, but I had to create a new one rather than modify an existing poll.  So I did, split topics, merged old thread into new poll thread.  Deleted the old poll.

So you were the first to comment on the first poll CJ, so your post appears first here.

I decided to research what the most popular online news sources are, rather than just the ones I am familiar with.  That took my bias out of play in the poll.

With the US election gearing up, thought it would be interesting to see where we are looking for our news.

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 11:26:07 PM
I cancelled my subscription to the Times when I finally got sick of the Haberman Access Journalism Festival.

Also, Op-Eds by senators saying the military needed to be used in country leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 12:42:41 AM

Also, Op-Eds by senators saying the military needed to be used in country leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I typically skip the Op/Ed page. It's chiefly either preaching to the choir, or a token view from the right, and I'm interested in neither.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 02:33:46 AM

Ah, another Guardian reader. I used to subscribe to the online edition, then cancelled my subscription after reading a poorly researched article full of factual errors. One year later I was back, and these days I count to ten (or twenty) before unsubscribing from news sources.

The Economist isn't bad either.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 07:17:36 PM

I'm a big fan of the Guardian as well -- especially their coverage of U.S. News. They bring a cool insight into U.S. news that many American papers miss.

I also read the print edition of the New York Times every day. I recognize that at times it can be less than completely objective, but I'm a critical enough reader to see through that. It's still the most comprehensive American newspaper.

I think most Americans don't read The Times because it's hidden behind a paywall, and we don't want to pony up to read its content.

Ah, showing my age here.  I automatically think of printed media and forget the on-line versions. The on-line Daily Telegraph, the political and social counterpoint to the Guardian, is also behind a paywall.

I read the Guardian for about 40 years until they changed to a tabloid format (technically it's called Berliner format and slightly different to tabloid) so they could distinguish it from the gutter tabloids. It's not a proper newspaper unless it's a broadsheet.  ;D

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 07:42:25 PM

Ah, showing my age here.  I automatically think of printed media and forget the on-line versions. The on-line Daily Telegraph, the political and social counterpoint to the Guardian, is also behind a paywall.

I read the Guardian for about 40 years until they changed to a tabloid format (technically it's called Berliner format and slightly different to tabloid) so they could distinguish it from the gutter tabloids. It's not a proper newspaper unless it's a broadsheet.  ;D

Though I know that the terms "left" and "right," or "liberal" and "conservative," mean something quite different in the U.K. than in the U.S., I find the Guardian to be left-leaning yet objective and, to use the dreaded term, "balanced." Their coverage of the Catholic Church, for example, is both nuanced, intelligent, and balanced.

Meanwhile, it's funny that you used the term "Berliner." I've never heard that term until only a couple of months ago, and I read it in reference to The New York Times, which most Americans would refer to as a broadsheet. It's not. It measures 22" x 12" which is only slightly smaller than the current Guardian format, but larger than a typical American tabloid like the New York Post. The London "Times," by comparison, measures 24" x 15."

Okay, I'm having a really wacky day today. In the past hour or so, I've posted about air fryers, clitoral stimulators, comparative newspaper sizes, and gay rape fantasies.

That's why I [heart] KB!

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 08:02:52 PM

Maybe going off topic here - but what the hell......

The reason the Guardian gave for going Berliner was that it was losing sales because readers struggled to handle a broadsheet on crowded public transport. It doesn't take an origami expert to fold a broadsheet correctly and read it without elbowing your neighbours eyes out!

Even more off topic - in Germany a Berliner is a delicious doughnut (without a hole, but with a u and a g and an h ;D). Much lighter than the stodgy UK ones.