KB - a better class of pervert

News:

What news source do you trust the most?

Guest · 2497

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3080/-41
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 08:20:22 PM

Even more off topic - in Germany a Berliner is a delicious doughnut (without a hole, but with a u and a g and an h ;D). Much lighter than the stodgy UK ones.

Taking an off-topic post even more off-topic, when President Kennedy visited Berlin a year or two after the Berlin Wall was erected, he proclaimed to the crowd, "Ich bin ein Berliner," meaning, "I am a Berliner."

I recall reading somewhere that what Kennedy actually said, in German, was "I am a doughnut."

I don't speak a word of German, but given the choice between decades of Communist oppression and "a delicious doughnut," I'd choose the latter every time.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Gonfalon

Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 01:41:10 AM

Taking an off-topic post even more off-topic, when President Kennedy visited Berlin a year or two after the Berlin Wall was erected, he proclaimed to the crowd, "Ich bin ein Berliner," meaning, "I am a Berliner."

I recall reading somewhere that what Kennedy actually said, in German, was "I am a doughnut."

Urban legend, I'm afraid. I watched a live broadcast of the speech and, apart from the Boston accent, he did say "I am a Berliner" in German. Hence the reaction from the crowd.

My guess is that folks discovered that a hamburger or frankfurter could also mean someone/something from Hamburg or Frankfurt, and then just ran with the idea.

Offline xXshepXx

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +25/-0
Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 05:51:49 AM

I don't speak a word of German, but given the choice between decades of Communist oppression and "a delicious doughnut," I'd choose the latter every time.

Since the thread has been derailed already, just my 2 Euro-Cent.
Another fun fact: The term "Berliner" for the sweet pastry is not used everywhere in Germany. In southern Germany, especially Bavaria (and also in Austria) it's usually called Krapfen, while in Berlin and most parts of east Germany it's called Pfannkuchen (pancake).  ;D

I'm not okay, you're not okay. But hey, that's okay

Gonfalon

Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 06:13:22 AM

Since the thread has been derailed already, just my 2 Euro-Cent.
Another fun fact: The term "Berliner" for the sweet pastry is not used everywhere in Germany. In southern Germany, especially Bavaria (and also in Austria) it's usually called Krapfen, while in Berlin and most parts of east Germany it's called Pfannkuchen (pancake).  ;D

Ah, now I know why the brand "Pfanni" is called that. I grow wiser (almost) every day. Thank you!

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1585/-3
Reply #24 on: September 12, 2020, 06:35:18 PM

Taking derailment to the extreme - Wikipedia (can we trust it as a source?) confirms the urban legend about JFK's speech (good job I checked before my original post as I was almost about to repeat it).  I think there is a subtle difference in pronunciation in that the citizen Berliner is pronounced with a long i (Berleener) and the doughnut Berliner is pronounced with a short i. Apparently JFK also gave the academically agreed pronunciation for the latin he used earlier in the same speech.

[/derail]

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

_priapism

Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 07:44:50 PM

Taking derailment to the extreme - Wikipedia (can we trust it as a source?) confirms the urban legend about JFK's speech (good job I checked before my original post as I was almost about to repeat it).  I think there is a subtle difference in pronunciation in that the citizen Berliner is pronounced with a long i (Berleener) and the doughnut Berliner is pronounced with a short i. Apparently JFK also gave the academically agreed pronunciation for the latin he used earlier in the same speech.

Kennedy was a scholar.

Kennedy had great speech writers.

Kennedy stayed on script.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 10:14:22 PM
Kennedy spoke in complete sentences.

Offline sylas12

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +27/-0
Reply #27 on: September 13, 2020, 11:26:16 PM
David icke.com

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-52
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
Reply #29 on: September 14, 2020, 01:31:32 AM
It's amazing how the men on this site subscribe to nuttery.

#BlackLivesMatter

#BanTheNaziFromKB

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Gonfalon

Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 01:50:39 AM
David icke.com

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

I followed that link and discovered that Wikipedia has had a makeover. A pleasant surprise. The old design was a little too fussy for me.

(No particular interest in Icke, just curious about the relevant Wikipedia entry.)

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #31 on: September 14, 2020, 01:58:01 PM

I find the lack of oratorial skills in today's politicians deeply depressing.

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 01:58:50 PM

Gonfalon

Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 02:54:14 PM

I find the lack of oratorial skills in today's politicians deeply depressing.

Time was that aspiring politicians would hone their oratorial skills in school and college debating societies. I guess such societies still exist (?) but they're clearly not on modern roadmaps to success.

I caught an interesting paragraph in this morning's news. Many successful female CEOs deliberately lower the pitch of their voices to avoid what's perceived as 'stridency'. I'm still trying to digest that one. I might have to resort to sodium bicarbonate.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3080/-41
Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 10:11:35 PM

Taking derailment to the extreme - Wikipedia (can we trust it as a source?) confirms the urban legend about JFK's speech (good job I checked before my original post as I was almost about to repeat it).  I think there is a subtle difference in pronunciation in that the citizen Berliner is pronounced with a long i (Berleener) and the doughnut Berliner is pronounced with a short i. Apparently JFK also gave the academically agreed pronunciation for the latin he used earlier in the same speech.

[/derail]

So does Snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jfk-doughnut/

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2945/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2020, 01:41:10 AM
Judge Rules Tucker Carlson Is Not a Credible Source of News

Do Fox News viewers think Tucker Carlson tells them the truth? Are they, in fact, reasonable? The federal judge, Mary Kay Vyskocil, who herself was appointed to the federal bench by Trump nine months ago, dismissed the case, citing Carlson’s First Amendment protections. That is, Vyskocil bought the argument Fox News was pushing that Carlson is, first and foremost, not a provider of “the news” as we know it, or “facts” as we commonly understand them, and his audience knows this. They’re apparently in on the gag. Fox News doesn’t label Carlson’s speech parody because that’s embarrassing for a company with the word news in its name to admit; it’s not factual journalism because that implies some responsibility for the credibility of the information that you spew. Instead, Fox News lawyers claim, Carlson is not “stating actual facts” but simply engaging in “non-literal commentary.” I couldn’t have described Carlson or Fox News better myself.

Offline eater

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +5/-6
Reply #36 on: October 17, 2020, 01:49:06 PM
I trust FOX news for U.S. input and all the Australian news networks are good , they seem to have a lot of details cnn and fox don't for some reason. I like BBC just to see what thinking is on that side the pond. Most of the time I watch NHK world from japan. they seem very well balanced and don't act like they have a dog in the race.

"The era of Gaslighting"

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 05:44:12 PM
I trust FOX news for U.S. input and all the Australian news networks are good , they seem to have a lot of details cnn and fox don't for some reason. I like BBC just to see what thinking is on that side the pond. Most of the time I watch NHK world from japan. they seem very well balanced and don't act like they have a dog in the race.

You trust FOX but not fox?  Capitalization is the key I guess.

I enforce capitalization too.  Inside joke.

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 07:58:31 PM
In 2012, a Fairleigh Dickinson University survey reported that Fox News viewers were less informed about current events than people who didn't follow the news at all. The survey had asked current events questions like "Which party has the most seats in the House of Representatives?" and also asked what source of news people followed. The Fox viewers' current events scores were in the basement. This finding was immediately trumpeted by the liberal media—by Fox, not so much—and has since become known as the Fox News effect. It conjures the image of Fox News as a black hole that sucks facts out of viewers' heads.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/07/21/a-rigorous-scientific-look-into-the-fox-news-effect/#ec3ad1b12abc

Further investigation shows that people who get their news from NPR are the best informed.

Offline eater

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +5/-6
Reply #39 on: October 24, 2020, 05:46:33 PM
In 2012, a Fairleigh Dickinson University survey reported that Fox News viewers were less informed about current events than people who didn't follow the news at all. The survey had asked current events questions like "Which party has the most seats in the House of Representatives?" and also asked what source of news people followed. The Fox viewers' current events scores were in the basement. This finding was immediately trumpeted by the liberal media—by Fox, not so much—and has since become known as the Fox News effect. It conjures the image of Fox News as a black hole that sucks facts out of viewers' heads.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/07/21/a-rigorous-scientific-look-into-the-fox-news-effect/#ec3ad1b12abc

Further investigation shows that people who get their news from NPR are the best informed.

In 2013 a pooley quadcum university survey reported that NPR news listeners were the least informed and most demented mentally of all the squirrels in the tree and most had lost all their nuts, They were still nuttier than those who still knew where their nuts were.when asked who gives a shit about your nuts the NPR listeners scores were in the dirt. This finding was jumped on by all the trees who were tired of getting their nuts bit off. thereby proving i am right and you are wrong.
As i always do every time you post and i follow right behind you to give you shit about whatever you posted. (this last line is sarcasm, i would not do something so juvenile despite some others who may)

"The era of Gaslighting"