News:

Alex Trebek, Jeopardy Icon, Dead at 80

msslave · 436

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1302/-3
on: November 08, 2020, 07:01:55 PM
After a long struggle with cancer, Alex Trebek died Sunday. He was 80 years old.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/alex-trebek-dead-dies-longtime-host-of-jeopardy-1234825564/

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 07:08:50 PM
I was an avid watcher of Jeopardy, having started watching the show before Alex Trebeck took over. To me, it was one of the best shows on television. Those who did well on the show were people who loved to read.  RIP Alex.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:10:34 PM

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2945/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 07:11:03 PM
Literally just heard this on the radio. I always got excited when I got a question right on that show.  Felt so smart.  RIP Mr. Trebek.

_priapism

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 07:55:59 PM
I’ve watched the show religiously for many years, and my family always said “you should be on that show dad.” I just feel like 2020 keeps kicking me in the nuts, over, and over, and over. Sean Connery? Dead. Jerry Jeff Walker? Dead. Billy Joe Shaver? Dead.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1302/-3
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 08:01:44 PM
On the bright side, Betty White is still hanging on.

Trebek worked up to the end of October. His final show will air in December.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

_priapism

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 08:08:09 PM
On the bright side, Betty White is still hanging on.

Trebek worked up to the end of October. His final show will air in December.

And we still have Keith Richards.  And Willie Nelson.  Knock on wood.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1750/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 12:19:56 AM

So sad.   Such a nice guy.   That and Wheel Of Fortune was watched every night during the winter months by me when I was single.  All those episodes.  Hard to imagine someone replacing him.  And it will be so strange watching in the coming weeks.

I always got excited when I got a question right on that show.  Felt so smart.

I know, right! 

It was about 4 months into our dating and the very first time Dan and I watched Jeopardy together, his two kids happened to be there.  I answered the first 5 questions right.  The subject was "Classical Music".  Dan and his daughter both look at me and say, "Seriously?"   
I just looked at them non-chalantly, clicked off the TV and said, "They're giving to easy of answers tonight, I'm already bored with it."
Knowing I was joking, he demanded I turn it back on.   The remainder of the show I got maybe 2 answers right. 

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2945/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 01:14:18 AM

So sad.   Such a nice guy.   That and Wheel Of Fortune was watched every night during the winter months by me when I was single.  All those episodes.  Hard to imagine someone replacing him.  And it will be so strange watching in the coming weeks.

It's going to be worse than watching the price is right after Bob Barker retired.  I can't watch it the same with Drew Carey.  Dont really care if I miss it or not.  Oh sure the male models they have now make me sweat a little, but it just isnt the same.  This would be worse know why the host has changed.  :'(

I just looked at them non-chalantly, clicked off the TV and said, "They're giving to easy of answers tonight, I'm already bored with it."

Like Bill Murry in Groundhogs day  :emot_laughing:

Offline purpleshoes

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +429/-10
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 01:08:12 PM
I've learned even more from watching Jeopardy! than I have from doing crosswords, clear back to the days when Art Fleming was host.

Merv Griffin is listed as the creator of the show, but it was his wife Julann who suggested he create a game show where the contestants were given the answers instead of the questions.

Rest in peace Alex.

Offline Levorotatory

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +19/-0
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 06:16:55 PM
I always found it interesting, and somewhat sad, how contestants on Jeopardy would rattle off obscure bits of history and pop culture trivia with ease, but when a STEM-related category came up many were stumped by basic things they should have learned in high school.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 08:52:12 PM
I read today that the front runner to replace Alex Trebeck when his taped shows run out on December 25th is Ken Jennings, the winningest contestant in Jeopardy history. He was hired by the show earlier this year to be a consultant. 

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 04:20:12 PM
This past Friday was the last episode with Alex Trebeck hosting. After the show, the studio ran a montage of Alex hosting throughout the years.  A final tribute to the host of the best game on television.