News:

HALLOWEEN BLOG

GEMINIGUY · 26013

Offline GEMINIGUY

• "I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +508/-59
Reply #160 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:28 AM
Women may follow a similiar procedure, using the words 'Here is my sheath, but where is my sword?' "

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant

TinyDancer

Reply #161 on: October 28, 2014, 11:49:43 AM
LOL GG.....men all the time thrusting that sword, but will admit that at times they are magical.  Thanks for the time and effort you put into this thread.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #162 on: October 29, 2014, 07:14:24 AM
OCTOBER 29TH

Elder

"The elder or Judas tree, from which Judas is said to have hanged himself and from which the Cross may have been constructed, has an unlucky reputation which probably pre-dates Christianity. Though it offers protection in a thunderstorm, as lightning will never strike it, the tree is most unwelcome indoors and should never be used for firewood, as this will bring the Devil himself down the chimney. If it is used to build boats, they will sink; if it is used as a murder weapon, the dead man's hand will emerge from the grave to point out the murderer; if it is used to make a cradle, any baby placed in it will fall prey to evil spirits. Neither should small children or animals be struck with a stick of elder, for this will retard their growth.
A bough of elder picked on the last day of April and hung over the doorway will, however, protect the household from evil over the coming year, and amulets made of elder will fend off witches.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #163 on: October 29, 2014, 07:21:11 AM
None the less, while disliking the tree's pungent smell, witches favour elder for their wands.
Horseman to the day will sometimes carry a twig of elder to fend off saddle-sores. Cutting live elder wood should never be attempted, though, without first asking permission of the 'Elder Mother', otherwise known as the 'Old Gal', lest she take offence and strike the woodcutter down.
Dwarf elder is said to have originated in the blood of England's slaughtered Danish invaders and is sometimes still termed 'Dane's Blood'. The red colour of the stems is said to betray the fact that the real blood flows within them, and cutting the stem will cause a real injury to any witch in the vicinity. This 'bloody' quality is undoubtedly the reason why the plant is a frequent ingredient in traditional witchcraft spells."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #164 on: October 30, 2014, 06:29:33 AM
OCTOBER 30TH

Mandrake

"The distinctive root of the mandrake, which to many eyes resembles a human figure, was one of the most valued ingredients of medieval medicine and had been credited by the supertitious with all manner of magical properties. The somewhat grotesque root of this member of the potato family was used in many witches' brews and was alleged to have various soporific, aphrodisiac and purgative powers (the rooy does, in fact, contain alkaloid that can suppress pain and promote sleep).
The Egyptians called the mandrake the Phallus of the Field, while the Arabs identified the plant as the Devil's Testicles - both clear evidence that it has long been recognised as a potent influence on sexual drive and appetite; the English later nicknamed the plant the 'love apple'. In the Bible, Jacob's two wives - one barren and the other too old to conceive - both became pregnant after acquiring some mandrakes.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #165 on: October 30, 2014, 06:32:56 AM
The mandrake may also be used in spells and potions to increase one's wealth by magic, to fix broken bones, to ease the pain of toothache or rheumatism, as an anaesthetic before operations, to cure depression, to enable the dying to recover, to prevent fits and even to give up smoking. Overdoses of mandrake will, however, drive a patient insane."

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1375/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #166 on: October 30, 2014, 07:24:33 AM

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #167 on: October 30, 2014, 07:39:48 AM

And I take it, you've tried all these costumes? ;-) lol

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #168 on: October 31, 2014, 08:01:13 AM
OCTOBER 31ST

Mandrake (con't)

"In witchcraft, a mandrake root dug up, watered with human blood and embellished with berries for eyes and mouth is said to acquire power of speech and will reveal the future, open locks and locate gold. Mere ownership of a mandrake root was, in consequence, enough evidence to have a suspect condemned to death as a witch in former times.
Care must be taken in pulling up the root of the mandrake: anyone who attempts to do so with their own hands will shortly be struck down dead, or never be able to have children. The conventional method for gathering the roots, therefore, is to get a dog to dig them up. As the root leaves the soil it is said to utter a terrible shriek, which is itself enough to kill or drive any living thing mad.
Adding to the rather sinister image of the plant is the ancient European belief that the mandrake only grows naturally under gallows, springing from the semen falling from the decomposing bodies of executed felons."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #169 on: October 31, 2014, 08:03:40 AM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL OF MY READERS AND EVERYONE HERE AT KB! AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LADY GIA A.K.A. GINA MARIE AND YOUR TWIN SISTER. I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN LEAVING COMMENTS AND ALL MY FRIENDS WHO HAVE CONTINUED TO ENCOURAGE ME TO KEEP UP THIS HALLOWEEN BLOG. HAVE AN AWESOME HALLOWEEN ALL!!!
Jim

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #170 on: October 01, 2015, 06:18:15 AM
It is now after Midnight on the first day of Halloween Month. Time to dusk off the old Halloween Blog and share more superstitions from around the world...

I'll be following the same schedule as last year. The superstitions may not actually have to do with All Hallow's Eve, but I try to select ones that involve things unlucky... ;-) In any case, I hope to educate my readers on things I never even knew about, one reason I had started this Blog. Might as well get started. Enjoy!

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #171 on: October 01, 2015, 06:25:25 AM
OCTOBER 1ST

"Widdershins"

"The direction opposite the path of the Sun through the Heavens, which is often stipulated as the correct movement to make in raising the Devil and in the execution of various ill-intentioned spells.
Taking such an anti-clockwise direction when stirring a potion or moving from one point to another is held to be contrary to the natural and 'proper' way of doing things, and is therefore both unlucky and likely to attract the assistance of evil spirits in the making of malevolent magic.
By the same token, witches and other sorcerers often recite prayers backwards, reverse the symbols of Christianity and walk widdershins around their magic circles as a matter of convention.
Persons innocent of such malicious intent should beware particularly of walking widdershins round a church or a place that is reputed to be haunted, as this might well provoke the attention of demons and ghosts."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #172 on: October 02, 2015, 06:14:36 AM
OCTOBER 2ND

"Accident"

"An unintentional misfortune or other occurance that has no apparent cause, but with the superstitious generally blame upon sinister forces.
Echoing the Christian doctrine of an omnipresent God, popular folklore had often atttributed accidents to some hidden influence or else to the working of luck, blaming such everyday mishaps as sick animals and broken pots on ley lines (invisible lines that criss-cross the land and possess strange powers), devils and their agents, such natural phenomena as the phase of the Moon or the flowering of a certain plant, or just the fates in general.
According to some interpretations, outwardly innocent happenings around the home may threaten dire consequences. Thus, a picture that falls off the walls for no reason, or a window blind that comes down without warning, are omens of death that should not be lightly ignored. Even picking up things that have been accidentally dropped on the floor is risky; (con't)

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #173 on: October 02, 2015, 06:16:36 AM
(con't) much better to get someone else to pick them up and then to withhold any words of thanks - then both parties not only avoid bad luck but may get a pleasant surprise."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #174 on: October 03, 2015, 06:18:58 AM
OCTOBER 3RD

Shrew

"In ancient times the shrew was widely regarded as an unlucky creature and it retains such associations to this day.
Reputed by the Romans to have a venomous bite, the shrew was subsequently believed to have the power of casting the Evil Eye and became to many people the personification of hatred and bitterness.
Anyone setting out on a journey who encounters a shrew is therefore advised to return home, though conversely it is also said that shrews will die instantly if they attempt to cross a path used by men. Allowing a shrew to run over a person or animal will result in a marked decline in the latter's health, typically leading to pain in the joints and lameness. To counter such ill effects the sufferer must be passed through an arch of bramble, or else the shrew must be trapped alive in a hole in an ash and left there to die.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #175 on: October 03, 2015, 06:21:40 AM
"Such 'shrew ashes' then acquire their own magical properties, and their leaves and twigs can be used to ease any shrew-related injuries. Applying a dead shrew to a shrew bite is supposed to cause the injury to heal quickly, and carrying one about in the pocket is also said to ward off rheumatisms."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #176 on: October 04, 2015, 06:10:13 AM
OCTOBER 4TH

Fox

"Universally considered an animal of great cunning, the fox is generally identified with evil and as an animal to be feared.
In former times witches were often alleged to have the power to turn themselves into foxes, and in Scotland at least farmers sometimes nailed a severed fox head to their barn door to warn off any prowling witches.
In Wales it is said spying a lone fox is lucky, but seeing several at once  is an omen of misfortune. Foxes are also unwelcome in the vicinity of the home as they signify  the coming of disaster and death.
In parts of eastern England it is claimed that a fox-bite will have fatal consequences, and anyone bitten cannot expect to live more than seven years."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #177 on: October 05, 2015, 06:20:28 AM
OCTOBER 5TH

Virginity

"The issue of maidenhood was once crucial in the negotiations that led up to marriage in a great many societies, and largely in remembrance of this prejudice the subject is still surrounded by myth and superstition.
Chastity was in former times considered a girl's most prized treasure, reflected in the special magical status accorded to virgins in many cultures. Only virgins can subdue Unicorns, stare directly into the sun, walk through a swarm of bees without getting stung & restore the flame of an extinguished candle, for instance.
Clues that are supposed to indicate that a girl has in fact lost her virginity, despite all claims to the contrary, include development of large breasts and the discovery that she has forgotten to put the salt cellar on the table. Another test is to slip a little powdered coal into a girl's food: if she is still a virgin she will immdiately express an overpowering desire to urinate."

CONTINUED ON THE 10TH

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #178 on: October 10, 2015, 10:27:43 AM
OCTOBER 10TH

Virginity (con't)

"Ancient English custom decrees that it is lucky for a newborn baby to be held the first time by a virgin and that such unblemished girls and boys have greater powers of divination and healing - the mere touch of a virgin is said by some to make warts disappear and other minor ailments clear up.
Likewise, the grass grows lushest on a virgin's grave and soli and plants taken from it are supposed to possess a number of magical properties.
Among more bizarre notions are the central European tradition that a woman regains her virginity after giving birth to seven illegitimate children, and the rather more pernicious belief that a man may cure himself of a sexually transmitted disease by making love to a virgin."

BACK ON 15TH

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #179 on: October 15, 2015, 07:11:23 AM
OCTOBER 15TH

Dolphin

"The traditionally sympathetic relationship between dolphins and humans is reflected by many legends in which dolphins rush to the aid of men in distress at sea.
According to ancient mythology, dolphins have a weakness for human singing and also transport the souls of the dead to the afterlife.
Superstitions that have survived to modern times include the curious notion that dolphins change colour when death is near and the general belief that dolphins playing in fine weather or close to shore are a warning of wind on the way, while the sight of dolphins at play in a turbulant sea indicates that a period of calm is in the offing. Similarly, good weather can be expected if dolphins swim North, while deterioration will ensue if they are spotted swimming South."

BACK ON 20TH