KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - It's Cheaper Than Therapy

News:

• Congratulations to Valley Vixin
    KB's 2020 Erotica Writer of the Year
  • Become a member for access to more areas of our message board, it's free!  Register here.
  • Congratulations to Shiela_M
    KB's 2020 Pervert of the Year

Van Morrison and Eric Clapton anti-quarantine songs

Rainwater · 26

Offline Rainwater

• New Pervert
    • Fame +1/-0
on: January 12, 2021, 09:30:51 AM
I don't know if anyone has heard of this.  Van actually started it and Eric latched on.  Some sort of protest to save the music industry from ruin (live acts, venues, roadies, etc.).  Hey, I'm all for albums and CD's that benefit those in the live music industry that are put out of work, but to say we should reject the quarantine and put everyone at risk!  Of course, this gave some people on the left the opportunity to bring up Eric Clapton's racist rants from the 1970's and demonize him beyond what I think is necessary.   

To  tell you the truth, even though I do not agree with them, I think Van Morrison and Eric Clapton have as much right to voice their social or political opinions as any celebrity out there, which isn't saying much at all.  Having a successful career in the entertainment industry does not mean that you suddenly have more to say than the average person who does not have a platform for their beliefs.

Oh well, that is my maiden post.....   

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +2342/-31
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 02:44:38 PM

I don't know if anyone has heard of this. 

I heard it a couple of weeks ago, and I found it rather puzzling.

It's a fun uptempo barrel-house blues number, and it sounds a lot like his late 70s stuff. While supporting struggling musicians is a very worthwhile goal, and I agree that he and Van Morrison have a right to write and produce songs like this, I think there's a line between protesting and "not a word you heard was true."

I can only imagine how a frontline health worker or public health official must feel when they hear that. It's also impossible not to hear that and be reminded of a U.S. president who has been saying that exact same thing for the past two months.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:07:43 PM by MissBarbara »

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +971/-52
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 03:41:12 PM
I don't know if anyone has heard of this.  Van actually started it and Eric latched on.  Some sort of protest to save the music industry from ruin (live acts, venues, roadies, etc.).  Hey, I'm all for albums and CD's that benefit those in the live music industry that are put out of work, but to say we should reject the quarantine and put everyone at risk!  Of course, this gave some people on the left the opportunity to bring up Eric Clapton's racist rants from the 1970's and demonize him beyond what I think is necessary.   

To  tell you the truth, even though I do not agree with them, I think Van Morrison and Eric Clapton have as much right to voice their social or political opinions as any celebrity out there, which isn't saying much at all.  Having a successful career in the entertainment industry does not mean that you suddenly have more to say than the average person who does not have a platform for their beliefs.

Oh well, that is my maiden post.....

And a WOO for you maiden post, Rainwater.   I have followed both musicians since their starts. They have made good music but that is where I draw the line, unless they are singing and raising money for impoverished nations, etc .

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.