News:

Hank Aaron, dead at 86

msslave · 646

Online msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1308/-3
on: January 22, 2021, 05:37:14 PM
Another sports legend passed away this morning. Baseball great Hank Aaron was 86.

His family was poor and he couldn't afford a bat and ball. Started out hitting bottle caps with a stick. From those humble beginnings he went on to being a major league champion, playing for the Atlanta Braves.

https://www.cbs46.com/news/hall-of-famer-henry-hank-aaron-dies-at-86/article_71a37148-5cc4-11eb-9cdf-1bbe85006da2.html

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Online msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:59:48 PM

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1750/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 06:59:26 PM
Another sports legend passed away this morning. Baseball great Hank Aaron was 86.

I never heard of him, but whenever I see these death posts about older athletes, I always text my father.  Daddy text back to me after informing him of Hank Aaron's passing, "He was something to watch."

When I told Dan, he called him 'Hammering Hank the real homerun king'

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Online msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:11:10 PM
Glad you have some other old timers in your life to keep you apprised of my posts when another "old timer" passes. These are people that were always in the news as I moved through the various stages of life.

Guess I'm reminded that my own clock is ticking away. :D

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1603/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 07:38:01 PM
A few years ago, I had the fortune of touring Hank Aaron's boyhood home in Mobile, Alabama.  Many of his baseball memorabilia are shown in the different rooms.

I remember him participating in the old tv show, Home Run Derby, which took place at Wrigley Field. No, not the one in Chicago but in Los Angeles.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline purpleshoes

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +429/-10
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 12:38:53 AM

I never heard of him, but whenever I see these death posts about older athletes, I always text my father.  Daddy text back to me after informing him of Hank Aaron's passing, "He was something to watch."

When I told Dan, he called him 'Hammering Hank the real homerun king'

I guess we can give you a pass on knowing who he was. When he broke Babe Ruth's career home run record, it was 3 months before you were born. (You have heard of Babe Ruth, right?)

Little known fact... Aaron never once hit 50 home runs in a season. The most he ever hit in one year was 47.

RIP Mr. Aaron. You were not only a superb athlete, but a true gentleman.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 02:35:38 PM
I had some sort of special addition Hank Aaron baseball card as a kid.  At some point soon after leaving home and living in an apartment too small to take everything of mine, my grandparents threw out some ‘junk’, which included my baseball card collection.  They also tossed my model trains.  When asked if they knew such things could be worth a lot of money, I got blank stares.

I heard as Hank Aaron approached Babe Ruth’s record, he got constant death threats from people not happy a black man might beat a white man’s record.  I’m sure that placed added pressure on him, and it’s a testament to his character and bravery that he persevered.