KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Military challenge

Skilled · 846

Offline Skilled

• Not Yet A Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +3/-0
on: October 30, 2010, 06:17:48 AM
Has anyone read Sebastian Junger's book "War"?

Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +456/-117
  • Goodbye KB
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:35:30 AM
I haven't read this yet but your question prompted me to go look, I quickly found this review; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/07/AR2010050702254.html
I do read a lot of military books, fiction and non fiction, war from the ancient past up to the Vietnam war, but so far have not read any on the current conflict in Afghanistan, I will very likely give this a go as it sounds interesting and well written.
If you have read this why not share your thoughts skilled.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1609/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 02:06:32 PM
I have read up on the histories of both Iraq (Mesopotamia) and Afghanistan and have seen little hope that the Americans will fare any better in their attempt to democratize either.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline HOMEfire

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +1/-0
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:13:55 PM
I havent' read it yet, but I read his book, "The Perfect Storm" a number of years ago and it was excellent.

If you enjoy, er, "War Stories", particularly history and strategy, the very best in this class in the last  50 years, in my view, is Col. Harry Summers' classic, "On Strategy".  Its a positively brilliant analysis of America's Vietnam debacle through the lens of von Clausewitz' "On War".  Highly, highly, recommended.

Ant

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1609/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:09:59 PM
I have read some of Col. Summers' works. Obviously, our leaders of the past nine years or so haven't.  Just amazing how people think they can do better than what history has proven?

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Skilled

• Not Yet A Pervert
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:32:21 AM
I have read a number of war/combat books but was attracted to this book because of reports I'd read about the documentary "Restrepo" which I have not seen and don't expect to see for some time in my country. 
Obviously, I'm not an American but I do admire much of what you guys do (some ambiguity in that sentence!). 
I've lent my copy of the book to a friend so can't quote a particular section from it that I think needs further examination.  My friend will be returning the book to me next weekend and I'll give me substance to this discussion a bit later on.
The key question that I would ask of anyone who has read it is: If you were Obama and had read this book what would you do?
Sorry guys, more next week.

Offline Bifunlady

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +18/-3
  • Yep, they are my legs
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 01:22:16 PM
I have read some of Col. Summers' works. Obviously, our leaders of the past nine years or so haven't.  Just amazing how people think they can do better than what history has proven?

"Show me a man with no past and I will show you a man with no future"

A submissive accepts submission, while a slave accepts obedience. In my opinion, a submissive retains freedom of choice and a slave gives her freedom of choice to her Master

Offline Skilled

• Not Yet A Pervert
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 06:30:06 AM
There are many issues that arise on reading Junger’s book but I think the following passage brings things into focus.   On page 150 he writes:
“The only way to calm your nerves in that environment was to marvel at the insane    amount of firepower available to the Americans and hope that that changed the       equation somehow.  They have a huge shoulder-fired rocket called a Javelin, for example, that can be steered into the window of a speeding car half a mile away.  Each Javelin round costs $80,000 and the idea that it’s fired by a guy who doesn’t make that in a year at a guy who doesn’t make that in a lifetime is somehow so outrageous it almost makes the war seem winnable...”
In his farewell speech in 1961 Dwight Eisenhower, in pointing out that at that time three and a half million men and women were already directly engaged in the defense establishment, said:
“In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of            unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial       complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist...”
Leaving aside the questionable military strategy of the Afghan situation, it seems to me that the potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power that concerned Eisenhower in the 60s has gone far beyond his expectations. 
This is not to argue that defence/security is of no importance and that we should all embrace the unrealistic vision of a world at peace. 
Yet I ask can the definition of America’s enemies be sourced to the military industrial complex?  If not, who provides the media with material to beat up and influence public opinion and paranoia?  Because, you see, without an enemy the justification for unbridled military hardware development is weakened and all those millions of people would be out of a job.  Their current job, that is.
Can one go so far as to say that it is not just the banks that are ripping off the American people? 
(Note: To be upfront: my own perspective is that of being slightly left of centre;  at the same time, my wife is slightly to the right of Genghis Khan!)